What archaic clothing choices do you miss?

Me too! A friend of mine dragged me to a Renaissance fair a few months ago, and I wound up spending way more than I should have on an absolutely gorgeous black silk corset with steel boning. Not exactly the most historically accurate in terms of materials, but the over-all effect is exactly what I was looking for. It’s actually not uncomfortable (unless you’re going to be sitting for a long period of time, like, for hours in a car on the way to a Renaissance Fair, for example), and they force you into having perfect posture. I just wish I had more occasion to wear it, as it’s a tad much for class and the lab…one more reason I’m looking forward to Halloween! If you’re interested in getting one, the manufacturer’s name is Brute Force. Some of their stuff might not be the most safe-for-work, so browse with caution.

In addition to corsets, I’d also like to cast my vote for the monocle.

Oh. Well, that’s okay, then. Carry on.

Not strictly a “clothing choice”, but I wish powdered wigs were still an option to cover my chrome dome.

Most of the things mentioned in this thread can be. . . bought at Target. I’d argue if they sell what you are looking for at a discount store like Target, it’s still pretty mainstream.

Fedoras are all over everywhere this year. Pencil skirts? Always in. They sell seamed stockings at Target. shawl collar long belted sweaters? What. . . I see those every damn day. Pij coat? That’s called a pea coat (like it says on that site). They sell them everywhere. They are probably the most “fashionable” winter coat for men the last few seasons.

Agreed. Pea coats are a winter staple for men and women and have been around every single winter. Target has had vests for men and women for at least the past year (and still has them). Even K-mart, for god’s sakes, has them.

Fedoras are all over; my fiance has one that he bought at Target for under $20. Pencil skirts are an office staple. I can’t remember not seeing pencil skirts at Target, Macy’s, Ann Taylor, Express, Gap, etc. etc.

Seamed stockings are harder to find if you’re not in a subculture like rockabilly. But you can get 'em online and wear them.

One more vote for corsets. To quote Big Bang Theory :

Take your facts back to Cardiff, where they belong. :mad: :smiley:

. . . and spurs! Not to use on a horse, but just because they go jingle-jangle-jingle, yet still manage to exude macho.

Sorry, sir :(.
Here, I will contribute: pantaloons. More people should wear sweet, sweet pantaloons. Why not?

Back when my hair was waist length I wore a snood a lot, and I still have a few. I am currently growing my hair out [back when I had cancer it got very short for some reason :D] and I plan on wearing them again, probably by next summer as my hair is now down to my brastrap.

I got them here and had a few that were made for me by friends that had pearls crocheted in for SCA wearing purposes.

Does anything look cooler than a cloak?

I wish we wore them all the time, but since I live in Tucson, even if they were in fashion, it’s rarely cold enough to need one.

LOL some friends and I used to describe the 3 styles of a pair of bodys [bodice, or renn corset] as:

Hi, my name is <> and I am wearing an elizabethan
Hi, my name is <> and these are my tits
Hi, these are my tits and my face is up here

I really love the look of the zoot suit as worn by the spirit of the pachuko in Zoot Suit as played by Edward Olmos. Pure sexy. I want to get mrAru a zoot like that.

I like my elizabethan in the winter, it is cozy and the back support from a properly fitted pair of bodys and stays is fantastic, less back pain is always great =)

I wear a caftan around a lot, and also a pair of souarelles/salwar around the house much of the time. I hate getting stared at when I wear http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salwar_kameezthat I made several sets of for camping in teh SCA purposes as part of my mughul era persian clothing. I guess I am too pasty white and nonethnic to wear perfectly servicable clothing from someone elses cultural history:smack:

I want spectator shoes to stay fashionable, but obscure. That way I can wear mine and stand out.

Bloomers! Stylish, comfortable, keeping your legs warm and un-exposed when you want to bike, prance or otherwise move your legs about in a skirt or dress. I’m a Goth in a cold and windy country. I make my own bloomers and love them to death. More people should wear them, for their own comfort, style and sanity.

Those duster coats come close, the ones you see in western movies. I think Hugh Jackman wore a duster in something – maybe Van Helsing?

I like the long sleeveless vest-things that Bea Arthur wore in Maude. They make heavy women look thinner, and on skinny women, they hide the fact that we have no hips or butt. I had one back in the 70’s, and recently saw one in a TV ad, but that’s it.

Another vote for cloaks/capes.

Skald, on initial parsing I read the third item as (British English) suspenders. As you can imagine the overall image changed dramatically. :eek:

(MODERATOR ADD: Link above could be considered NSFW! --Rico)

Ah yes. I’ve tended to see them as two styles: 1) this is a Tudor / Elizabethan / 1500s German, etc corset or 2) here are my tits on a plate. :smiley:

For myself; cloaks, and more opportunities to wear my kilt.

That was an understandable misreading, but Rhymers don’t wear garters. No Rhymer ever has, or at least not since the stars & garters travesty of 1874.

Why stop at just the Pea Coat? I’d bring back the entire sailor uniform (that’s a young Humphrey Bogart, by the way), instead of the current park ranger upper-half/theater attendant lower-half look