What are birds doing during thunderstorm?

Yesterday we had this huge thunderstorm with high winds and rain in our area and I was wondering what are all the birds doing to stay safe?
We have big population of sparrows and other small birds,do they leave affected area or do they huddle together in the trees and manage to stay safe?
Big birds like seagull ,crows,pigeons I think can detect somehow incoming storm and fly away to more safer place but small birds can not fly to far or maybe they can.

Based upon my own observations my guess is that at least some small birds hide rather than flee to another area.

There was a series of thunderstorms in my locality yesterday. During a break in this series I saw a robin, several sparrows and two dunnocks in the garden. It is possible that the accompanying darkness to these storms resulted in these birds retreating to their respective roosting places (trees, holes in a wall) as they would with the onset of night. In any event, sparrows are noted for their prediliction for staying in the same locality all their lives once they have established a territory.

This is hardly a definitive answer but it looks like the only one you are going to get.

This is another “I dunno, but in my experience…” answer.

I drove through a beautiful thunderstorm the other week on several Saskatchewan backroads that went past farms. I’ve never seen so many owls. Well, actually, I’d never seen a wild owl at all. But what they were doing was… not much. A lot were resting on the road and flew up as we approached. They seemed to be going about their business as usual.

To them it is nothing more than water off a duck’s back.

Only if they’re waterbirds. :rolleyes:

The rest look for shelter, mostly. Many non-waterbirds either can’t fly with wet feathers, or can fly but poorly, once the feathers are soaked. There ensues much preening, in order to get the skin oils redistributed over the feathers. I believe (but maybe someone who actually knows more will speak up) that what makes the waterbirds able to function when wet is that their skins are much oilier, and so they are able to coat their feathers with enough oil so that they are (relatively) impervious to water.

<pedant mode>
{Actually, the loss of that imperviousness to water by waterfowl following an oil spill is one of the factors that leads to their demise. They try to get the gunk off their feathers, so they can get on with their lives, and the petroleum poisons them. Or well-meaning humans clean the petroleum off of them, but then all their natural oils are gone, their feathers get saturated, and they drown.

Didn’t you ever notice (assuming you’ve eaten duck, goose, or some other kind of waterfowl) how oily their skins are? Special precautions must be taken in cooking, or the meat doesn’t taste that well to most people. But their adaptations to water habitats is the reason for all the oil.}
</pedant mode>