Contestants on Jeopardy have to list 5 interesting but brief facts about themselves so Alex can introduce them. What would you list for yourself? What makes you interesting?
I have six children, one whom I lost to cancer 18 months ago.
I delivered my 4th child by myself in an emergency and assisted the midwife with the next two.
I taught two years in Budapest, Hungary.
I grew up on Maui.
I have seaon tickets to Sea World?
I can’t think of one, let alone five.
I’m 20, I went on a round-the-world trip when I was six, and I’ve already travelled to more countries than most people (I think).
I can do flicks, somersaults, the splits and walk on my hands until I’m tired.
I have weird hair. It’s mega curly (ringlets) yet fine. I always get comments. Them: “Is it natural?” Me: “No, it’s a wig.” :rolleyes: Well, that’s what I want to say…
My father is an Islander but I hate fish, and my Mother is British and I hate baked beans.
I can hold a casual conversation in Mandarin Chinese.
I love questions like that. Usually they make great ice breaker questions at parties, assemblies, or college classes. They usually only ask for 3 interesting facts, but I have 5:
- I earned a black belt in karate when I was 10 years old
- I have memorized Pi out to 100 decimals
- I earned my Eagle Scout
- I can juggle
- I’m an award winning, part time professional magician
I was taking a beginning statistics class in college and the teacher asked us to list 3 interesting facts about us on a card. I listed 1, 4, and 2 (in that order) and when she saw #2, she didn’t believe it… until I wrote it out for her. She got a real kick out of that.
Interesting facts about ME? Oh, well I could go on and on all night about ME. I’m wonderful in every way.
- I’ve never had a serious health problem.
- I’m very modest.
- I’m the smartest person I know.
- I’m so handsome it hurts.
- I’m rich beyond my wildest dreams.
I wanna play! I wanna play!
- I have two tattoos. (Maybe not terribly interesting, but it sure surprises most folks who meet me.)
- I have lived overseas.
- One of my parents is gay.
- I’ve been a piano player for 25 years.
- I have a spirit (or ‘totem’) animal.
Does it hurt you, or other people?
- I’m a synesthete (and I know this because of the SDMB).
- I knew a serial killer (do a search, it’s been covered here many times).
- I went from being an only child up to age five to being the eldest of nine children by the time I was 18.
- I can write backwards.
I’m the father of 20 month old twins, with a third baby on the way.
I’ve visited 16 different countries.
I served in the Navy, which is where I got the chance to travel so much.
Political work allowed me to meet a couple of U.S. presidents, and to serve as an usher at Senator John Heinz’s funeral.
Alex Trebek actually asked me about my life like this when I was a Jeopardy contestant myself.
- I tried out for Jeopardy once. (I failed.)
- I played piano and sang ‘Moondance’ at my wedding, backed by the wedding band (band name!).
- I was knocked unconscious and robbed in Barcelona when I was 18. (Hola, OpalGato!)
- My father and mother and I and my wife and our two children were all born in Los Angeles(This is much rarer than it probably sounds) .
- I once worked as a Production Assistant for the Playboy Channel (and I saw naked women! Woo hoo!).
- I can write upsidedown much better then I can normaly.
- I can poke my shoulder blade out over 4 inches.
- I’ve had at least 1 dog for my entire life besides 1 month.
- I can put my legs over my head
- My mom and I never fight. I am a teenager.
I know what you mean. I can’t top that, though. My father was born in the L.A. area, but my mother was not. My sisters and I were born in L.A., and my sister’s husband was at least born in California (I think—he’s from Sacramento).
As for my other 4 “interesting” things?
- I have travelled cross-country (in the US) by bus and by train several times.
- I draw, paint, take photos and make pottery, and have sold my works and been in art shows and galleries.
- I wrote and self-published a book. (I sell it online.)
- I have a huge collection of LPs and CDs of film music, especially music by Jerry Goldsmith and to a lesser extent, John Williams, Ennio Morricone, Bernard Herrmann and many others.
To find 5 interesting things, this’ll take me a while.
- I once ate an entire turkey.
- At the young age of 26 I had to have my gall bladder removed.
- I once forgot my own birthday.
- I broke my wrist riding a shopping cart down a hill.
- naw, sorry I’m stumped on number 5.
- I am loaded with trivia and other amazing miscellaneous information.
- I never drive freeways.
- I can pee standing up.
- I can give the Vulcan salute with both hands.
- I taught myself to read.
As a toddler, I “played” the piano with Bruce Willis while he was working at my father’s bar.
At 24, I’ve never had a serious girlfriend or a job that’s lasted more than 2 weeks (I put those two together because I have a hunch they’re related, somehow).
If I were willing to put in the hours (say, 50 of them a week), I could earn a living playing poker.
My little brothers are 13 and 15 years younger than I, respectively.
I’m a certified Scuba diver.
- I’ve never had a childhood disease
- I’ve never had a broken bone.
- I can’t wear rings, watches or bracelets, because I have freakishly small hands.
- I’m younger than 2 neices and 1 nephew.
- I can pee standing up too! *Then I have to wipe my legs off. *
I can play ten different instruments: electric guitar, acoustic guitar, electric bass, upright bass, drums, percussion, piano, hammond, harmonica, recorder and mandolin.
I am ambidextrous.
I once hotwired a bulldozer and drove it into the Atlantic Ocean.
I am one hell of a cook.
I went down a black diamond ski slope on a greased cookie sheet, and almost died.
- I grew up about 10 minutes from where the Martians landed during the War of the Worlds.
- I wrote a couple of groundbreaking papers on interaction in virtual reality.
- I own a couple of chunks of the original Yellow Brick Road. (The one that, according to–alas, unverifiable–local legend, inspired the one in the Wizard of Oz)
- I’ve been north of the Arctic Circle.
- I apparently have highly mobile shoulder blades.
And here I thought only I could do that. I can also bend the index finger of my right hand back until it lays flat on the back of my hand. (Ouch, I just tried it, well I used to be able to do it when I was a youngin.)