What are the best, reasonably priced, golf-balls?

A friend of mine is getting older on saturday. So he is into golf and I want to buy him some golf-balls. I know nothing of the sport, so someone clue me in, what are the best, reasonably priced, golf balls?

Probably Top-Flite or Dunlop.

If he is a good golfer (handicap of 15 or less) then I would get him Titleist Pro V1’s or Nike. If I got Top-Flites as a gift, I’d be polite, but I’d never use them.

Depends what you mean by “reasonably priced.” New golfballs in the US tend to range from as little as $.50/ea (Top-Flite) to as much as $4.00/ea (high end balls such as Titleist ProV1), or in other terms, about $10 for an 18-pack all the way up to $35 or $40 for a 12-pack.

Do not buy your friend Top-Flites - even if he is a bad golfer (like me), he may not appreciate such cheap balls. I would go for something more mid-range, like Maxfli or Strata, which tend to be in the $1/ea range. A 12 or 15 pack of these will run you $15-$20. Do not buy women’s balls.

As Lamar Mundane said, if your friend is a good golfer (shoots 90 or less), it might be better to buy him a sleeve (3 balls, about $8-11) of something really high end rather than a larger number of cheap balls.

[/2c]

Definitely. I’d be much happier with a few balls that I’d actually use than a bunch of cheap ones that will be politely accepted and then given away.

Short answer: Get him a box of Titleist DT So/Lo’s.

Longer answer:

Count me in on the anti ‘Rock-Flite’ bandwagon.

I am partial to several balls that you can usually find for $20/dozen - Titleist DT So/Lo’s, Maxfli Noodle’s, Precept Laddies or Ladies, Callaway HX Reds or Blues. I don’t care for the Nike balls in the same price range - I just don’t like the feel.

My dad, who is a better player than me (an 8 handicap v my 15-16 handicap) has inexplicably become attached to regular Pinnacle balls, which you can usually find for about $15 for 15 or 18 balls. He loves em.

Stay away from:

• any x-out balls.
  • ‘second chance’ balls.
  • Tommy Armour balls (like hitting chunks of granite IMHO).
  • Top-Flites.
  • Orange or yellow balls of any kind (his buddies will give him tons of shit on the course).
  • ProStaff’s (see the Tommy Armour comments).

Go for the Pro V1s or the Ladies/Laddie Precept. If I had to choose I’d go for the Precept, I love that ball.

And in no way, shape or form can I recommed Pinnaccles to anyone. I would rather use a Top-Flite than a Pinnaccle. I hate that damn ball.

Go for the Pro V1s or the Ladies/Laddie Precept. If I had to choose I’d go for the Precept, I love that ball.

And in no way, shape or form can I recommed Pinnacles to anyone. I would rather use a Top-Flite than a Pinnacle. I hate that damn ball.

Heh, with the way I play :o , Top Flight lets me use new balls instead of the 2nd hands recovered from water hazards. At Costco the other day I bought some for about $1.00 CANADIAN per ball. Plus they have a version that minimises slicing / hooking.

I coudn’t cope with the added pressure of teeing up a $5.00 ball :wink: Keeping it on the fairway * (hell, on the right hole, who am I kidding)* and past the ladies’ tee is enough already…

I like playing Wilson Staff True Tour Golf Balls. I’ve been playing with them all summer.

Also, I’ve been playing with Maxfli A10 balls too.

Both are not too expensive and play real well.