What are your 10 favourite albums and WHY?

This isn’t in any particular order.

1. Nirvana - Nevermind - Cliched, but this album was a huge part of my adolescence. I hardly ever listen to it anymore, but when I do it takes me back to happier times.

2. Wu-Tang Clan - Enter The Wu-Tang (36 Chambers) - Because, Wu-Tang Clan ain’t nuthin ta fuck wit.

3. Raekwon - Only Built 4 Cuban Linx - Easily one of the best hip-hop albums I’ve ever heard, and very underrated considering how influential it has been.

4. Aphex Twin - Selected Ambient Works, Part II - Because it’s so different from any other music I’ve ever heard in my life.

5. Pink Floyd - The Wall - I couldn’t decide between this or DSOTM, but this one wins because it has an involved storyline, a kickass movie and the kicking rad guitar solo on ‘Comfortably Numb’.

6. Rage Against The Machine - The Battle Of Los Angeles - I used to be a huge RATM fanboy in high school, and I think they reached their peak with this album. The only other band that has influenced me this much is The Dead Kennedys.

7. Faith No More - Angel Dust - It was either this or a Mr. Bungle album, and I think Faith No More is more coherent and accessible then Mr. Bungle. Which

8. At The Drive-In - Relationship Of Command - The most energetic band I’ve ever heard. Easily one of the best rock albums of the late 90s.

9. The Misfits - Walk Among Us - Because The Misfits rock.

10. The Stooges - Fun House - Because Iggy Pop makes me hot.

OK, also in no particular order.

1. Sleater-Kinney - Call the Doctor. I’m just a sucker for smart girls with attitude who can write good music and rock.

2. My Bloody Valentine - Loveless. Perhaps THE best album of the 90s. Shoegazer rock marks its zenith. Walls and washes of sound, an absolutely musically engaging album.

3. Wire - Chairs Missing - Because it friggin rocks.

4. Smashing Pumpkins - Siamese Dream - After years of hating them, one day I just woke up and “got” the Pumpkins. Haven’t looked back since, and this album broke me in. Great riffs, unique sound, excellent arrangements, even like his voice.0

5. Radiohead - OK Computer - First time I heard this album, I realized just how exciting and innovative rock music can be if it really tried. Complicated, but not descending into prog-rock wankery, which I have an aversion towards. (Minus King Crimson and early Genesis. They’re OK.)

6. Pixies - Doolittle - For that matter, almost any Pixies album will do for me. By far my favorite rock band ever.

7. Miles Davis - Kind of Blue - When I’m in a more laid-back sort of mood, this modal jazz-era masterpiece perfectly suits the soundtrack.

8. Li Yundi - Chopin - This CD got me through a rather distressing end of last year. Yundi’s renditions of Nocturne Op 9. No. 1 & 2 are probably the most gorgeous interpretations I’ve heard of these two Chopin pieces. And the etudes in this volume are played with absolute precision, without sacrificing feeling. This guy is absolutely amazing.

9. Beatles - Abbey Road (or almost any Beatles album) - Pop rock at its absolute finest. I’m not going to explain. If you don’t get the Beatles, you just don’t get them.

10. Anima Sound System - Hungarian Astronaut - Not one of the best albums of all time, but one of my favorites. Minimalist, Hungarian dub/drum-n-bass collective from Szombathely. This album feature the folky vocals of Szilvia Bognar (who left the band to pursue her folk career.) One of two pop bands in Hungary with any international exposure. This particular early release makes for great chill-out music, and lends itself to mixing, if you’re a DJ.

1. Nevermind - Nirvana. For the same reason as the OP, basically.

2. Dookie - Green Day. The definitive southern Californians 90’s pop punk album, full of fun songs.

3. Rancid - … And Out Come the Wolves. Another classic album, packing with absolutely amazing songs.

4. Energy - Operation Ivy. The only full length album put out by one of the best punk bands ever. ‘Sound System’ alone would make this album a classic.

5. Wish - The Cure. My personal favorite album of an amazingly influential and talented band.

6. Disintegration - The Cure. A much more introspective and sad album than the previous one, but the inclusion of Love Song and Lullaby put this album up there with Wish.

7. Black Sails in the Sunset - AFI. Melodic hardcore at its best. The lyrics are occasionally cliched, the goth is sometimes a little over-done, but full of emotionally moving songs.

8. Sing the Sorrow - AFI. A more mature take on the above album.

9. Illusion of Safety - Thrice. Another melodic hardcore album, more mature musically and lyrically than Identity Crisis, but chock full of intelligent song-writing and just fun guitar.

10. Identity Crisis - Thrice. Their first album, more religious but less mature. Poppier than their second album, but just fun to listen to.

In no peticular order…

Phil Collins-Hello I Must be going.
Jams from start to stop.

April Wine- Harder Faster
70’s rock at it’s finest

ZZ Top- Deguello
Mixin’ the blues like no one has(including themselves) since.

Fleetwood Mac-Tusk
Best all around record this favorite of mine did

Stevie Nicks- Wild Heart
Worth the listen Just for “Beauty&Beast” and “Has anyone ever written anything for you?”

Live-Throwing Copper
Yes, Virginia, I live in a “Shit Town”

Blue Oyster Cult- Fire of Unknown Origin
The soundtrack to the Sci-Fantasy book you are reading

Yes-90125
80’s rock worth listening to

Led Zeppelin-II
Another screaming blues mix.

Barry Manilow-Live
His best early stuff bonused by the Very Strange Medley

BONUS
Matchbox 20-Yourself or Someone Like You.
The second try fro these guys bites, but this one rocks

Aerosmith - Rocks
Beatles - Revolver
Byrds - The Notorious Byrd Brothers
Cream - Disraeli Gears
Deep Purple - In Rock
Dire Straits - Making Movies
Electric Light Orchestra - a New World Record
Enya - Watermark
Kinks - The Kinks Are the Village Green Preservation Society
Led Zeppelin - Physical Graffiti

And my reasons? I’m not going to tell you!

This is my list, in no real particular order:

1. Revolver – The Beatles. To me it’s the most creative album they did, and one of the first I liked by them.
  2. Fresh Fruit for Rotting Vegetables – Dead Kennedys. I love the lyrics, the attitude and the guitar riffs. Either you like Jello Biafra, or you don’t.
  3. Superunknown – Soundgarden. One of the few albums I can listen to all the way through.
  4. Standing on a Beach, The Singles – The Cure. Another one I can listen to all the way through, a sample of favorites from the earlier Cure days. I can’t just pick one Cure album.
  5. Stull – Urge Overkill. Not a full length album but I love all the songs on it. I have this thing about quirky lyrics. Not to mention great beats.
  6. Blind – Corrosion of Conformity. Just something how this album makes me feel when I listen to it. Hard guitar driven awesome stuff.
  7. Angel Dust – Faith no More. Just love the darkness and the slight psychosis of it. Mike Patton can do astounding things with his voice.
  8. The Very Best of Cream – Cream. Decadent. Like chocolate. Or sex. Or both.
  9. Broken – Nine Inch Nails. Not as depressing as Downward Spiral. “Gave Up” was the best live song I have ever heard.
  10. Goo – Sonic Youth. Still sounds cool more than ten years later. Takes me back to my early college years.

Public Enemy - Fear of a Black Planet
The best rap group ever at the height of its game. The sheer power of conviction on that record still blows me away every time.

The Clash - Self Titled
This band remained great throughout, but this is them at their most raw and intense. Snuck lovely melody in there as well. They are as much fun as the Sex Pistols with twenty times the talent.

Paul Simon - Self Titled
Could not be more joyful than to hear Simon untethered from Garfunkel. His songwriting talent shines on this album. “Duncan” might be his best story song ever.

Nirvana - Nevermind
A classic in much the same way as The Clash. Cobain couldn’t destroy his talent for creating memorable melodies no matter how hard he tried. The interplay between the melody and the mayhew has never been better.

Robyn Hitchcock - Element of Light
I am a Hitchcock freak. I could have ten of his albums plus a few soft boys on this list. Please I beg those who have never heard him to listen. This is his loveliest album combining his strange but perfect lyrics with great instrumentation.

De La Soul - Three Feet High and Rising
Really has any album just made you smile this much.

Leonard Cohen - Songs From a Room
The best pure songwriter ever. That burlap bag voice is a complement to some of his best songs. Still going strong today.

Beck - Odelay
An astonishing display of talent. A fusion of so many music styles it is hard to separate the pieces from the whole. Each song is great. He may misstep with some albums, this is his masterpiece.

The Velvet Underground - Self Titled
I know this one is almost cliche. Really though have there been two better songs written than Sweet Jane and Rock and Roll. Case closed.

Cub - Betti-Cola
Cub is the great unknown and now defunct band. Most bands who don’t quite make it fail for a reason. By all rights Cub should have sold millions of albums. Betti-Cola is a pitch perfect compilation of three minute pop songs. Clever and sweet guaranteed to make you feel good.

And BTW Pulykamell very nice list.

1. The Allman Brothers Band: At Fillmore East
    Timeless. The greatest live album ever. This one just lays it on you: great sound and fantastic playing from a band that could improvise and blend the blues, jazz and rock like nobody else. An album I can play by heart.

2. The Allman Brothers Band: Eat a Peach
    Their last album with Duane Allman, who I (from an obviously and totally biased perspective) think is just about the most overlooked guitar player there is. No reason he shouldn’t be up there with Hendrix, Page, etc. This one has some great live songs and their best studio work to that point. It’s got Blue Sky and Melissa, both classics, Little Martha, a sweet acoustic tune (and the only one Duane wrote), and the epic Mountain Jam.

In a ‘real’ Top Ten I’d name some other Allmans albums, but in the interests of diversity, I’ll move along to other bands.

1. Radiohead: OK Computer
    This one blew my mind as well. I knew Creep, but hadn’t really heard anything from Radiohead since. I kind of wrote them off as one of those bands people like because their stuff is depressing, basically. Then some friends of mine did a concert performance of the entire album, and since I was videotaping it, I had to listen. I was really stunned, and I borrowed the thing right after. ‘Holy crap’ is really all I can say. Great songs and lyrics with perfect arrangement and use of the studio. I can’t wait to finally see them live next month.

2. Tori Amos: Little Earthquakes
    I can rarely listen to this one because it’s so powerful (and yes, most of it isn’t that uplifting in my opinion). But it’s raw, personal and pure. Beautiful playing, and even when you’re not sure exactly what Tori is singing about, you get this sense that she’s honest in a unique way. If anything ever recorded is more chilling than Me and a Gun, I don’t want to hear it.

3. Bob Marley: Songs of Freedom
    How could I not include something from Bob? I admit this one is cheating - I picked this because it’s a 4-CD box set. But everything seems to be here. Great love songs like Turn Your Lights Down Low and Waiting in Vain, and some of the most powerful political songs ever: War, Zimbabwe, I Shot the Sheriff, Africa Unite, and Get Up, Stand Up, among many others. Remixes and alternate versions abound. And then there’s Redemption Song.

4. The Grateful Dead: American Beauty
    Their best studio album ever. All acoustic (minus one guitar solo), and it proves that while the Dead were known for long jams, their best songs were also just good songs. On this one, even the singing (NOT their strong point live) is great. Almost all of these songs were played live from 1971 until the band’s end almost 25 years later. Everybody knows Truckin’, but Ripple, Brokedown Palace, Attics of My Life, Friend of the Devil and especially Box of Rain are true gems.

5. Santana: Santana/Abraxas
    I can’t separate these two albums. The words “Latin rock” had probably never been stuck together when these were made, but here is a genre being invented and perfected all the same. Soul Sacrifice, Samba Pa Ti… yipes. If you think Santana’s stuff now is lame, listen to these and you’ll realize it’s even worse than you thought. :wink: :stuck_out_tongue:

6. Derek and the Dominos: Layla and Assorted Love Songs
    Duane Allman pushes Eric Clapton (and a great, great band) to the best playing of his career. Makes me crazy when people classify this as a Clapton solo effort on the radio. Might’ve been a good album without Duane, but it wouldn’t have been a masterpiece. Why Does Love Got to Be So Sad rocks, I Am Yours is beautiful, and there’s not much left to say about Layla that hasn’t been said.

7. Jazz is Dead: Great Sky River
    All-instrumental virtuoso band that doesn’t cover the Grateful Dead. It reinterprets their songs and uses them as starting points for crazy, focused (which is important) improvising. The amazing Jimmy Herring plays guitar; his fingers actually move slightly faster than light.

8. Gov’t Mule: Life Before Insanity/Dose
    Hard rock and blues done to perfection by a power-trio keeping the spirit of Cream, Mountain and others alive. Life Before Insanity is a more mature album, but Dose rocks harder and is more diverse.

Paul Simon: Graceland

Beatles: Abbey Road

Sarah Vaughn: Duke Ellington Songbook (1 & 2)

Van Morrison: Moondance

Eva Cassidy: Songbird

Pink Floyd: Dark Side of the Moon

Benny Goodman: Live at Carnegie Hall

Blues Traveler: Four

Frank Sinatra: Songs for Swingin’ Lovers

Miles Davis: Kind of Blue

Each one listed is either the best the artist recorded, or so changed everything that comes after that it’s now the benchmark, post hoc ergo propter hoc. These I take with me everywhere.

In no particular order:

Revolver, The Beatles. Lennon/McCartney as a great sonwriting team.

London Calling, The Clash. Not a bad cut on the album, and one of the best songs (Train in Vain) isn’t even credited.

Beggar’s Banquet, The Rolling Stones. There has to be a Stones album on this list, and this is my favorite. Sure it’s got Sympathy for the Devil, but it’s got underappreciated gems like Factory Girl and Prodigal Son, too.

Sweetheart of the Rodeo, The Byrds. Gram Parsons single-handedly invents country-rock.

The Otis Redding Dictionary of Soul. Memphis soul defined.

Blues Breakers with Eric Clapton, John Mayall’s Bluesbreakers. The best British blues album ever made. You’ve got to have Clapton on the list somewhere, and Have You Heard may be the single greatest solo Eric ever recorded. Plus, it’s the first time he sang on record.

Hank Williams Greatest Hits. I had to flip a coin between Hank and Elvis. Hank came up.

El Corazon, Steve Earle. I think Steve Earle is the best songwriter working today, and this album demonstrates his range across an incredible variety of styles.

The Allman Brothers Band. Their first album. Sure, Fillmore East is a better record, but when Duane’s guitar cries while Greg screams on Whipping Post, I always get chiils. Plus, Greg hits the high note in the studio.

Highway 61 Revisited, Bob Dylan. Every song is a classic. Dylan is totally electric, with Mike Bloomfield and Al Kooper. It’s got Like a Rolling Stone, Desolation Row and the title track. Bob’s at the absolute peak of his form here.

And if I get to slip one in for honorable mention, it’s Are You Experienced by Jimi Hendrix. Probably the most stunning debut record ever made.

You said it, labdad. The studio Dreams is great, too.
Oh, and I meant to note that my list isn’t in order.

David Bowie - Ziggy Stardust
I consider this an essential 70’s album. It’s chock full of great songs, and there’s no duds on it. There’s really not much more to say. Buy it.

Godspeed You Black Emperor - Slow Riot For New Zero Kanada
This was chosen partly for memories, although it rocks too. I think I’d like “Moya” played at my funeral.

Botch - We Are The Romans
A really great hardcore album; I love “Swimming The Channel Vs. Driving The Chunnel”.

Pixies - Dolittle
Mindblowing. Fantastic. David Bowie for the 90’s. Buy it.

Blonde Redhead - Melody of Certain Damaged Lemons
A great unexpected pop record.

Prodigy - Fat of the Land
I’ve never really found another CD that has the right amount of rock and electronica as this one, so by default, that would make it essential.

Refused - The Shape of Punk to Come
This should be the shape of punk to come.

Sublime - 40oz to Freedom
An oddball choice; it mainly consists of covers, but it has its own scrappy charm.

Mogwai - Young Team
It was the first album that I bought that had noisy elements to it.

Kid Dakota - So Pretty
Dark, very personal pop songs.

In no order:

1. Grateful Dead - Europe '72. The great studio album that would have fallen between American Beauty and Wake of the Flood is in there somewhere - it just never got made. When they go over the hump in China-Rider I crank that mother up to 11.

2. Jeff Buckley - Grace. Shimmering vocals and a whole lotta noise. A shame he had to die so young.

3. The Clash - London Calling. “Phony Beatle-mania.” Plus, you got to love the cover.

4. Rolling Stones - Sticky Fingers. One great big debauched pile of sex and drugs.

5. Ella Fitzgerals - Best of the Songbooks. Wonderful song follows wonderful song.

6. Pat Metheny - Travels. Because it brings back memories of being on the lawn at Wolf Trap under a zillion stars with a wonderful woman and a jug of wine. I would have sworn he was playing just for the two of us.

7. Bob Dylan - Blood on the Tracks. I was tempted to say Highway 61 Revisited, but went for the angry, pissed-off Dylan instead. “You’re an idiot, babe. Its a wonder that you still know how to breathe.”

8. The B-52s - The B-52s. Fun. Pure and Simple. “Let’s dance this mess around.”

9. Marvin Gaye - What’s Going On? Heavy, soulful, sexy.

10. Billie Holiday - Lady in Autumn. Sure, its got strings, but it also has “Glad to Be Unhappy.” And to think they arrested her on her death bed. Talk about shitty. She had the right to sing the blues.

I think you’re confused. Loaded is the Velvets album with “Sweet Jane” and “Rock and Roll.” The Velvet Underground has “Candy Says,” “What Goes On,” “Some Kinda Love,” etc.

My Top 10 (chronological order)

1. The Velvet Underground - White Light/White Heat
    The Velvets at their most experimental and loud. Great songs, lots of John Cale, and influenced more bands than you can shake a stick at (see Sonic Youth).
  2. Nick Drake - Pink Moon
    Spooky, lovely, depressing.
  3. Talking Heads - Talking Heads '77
    Talking Heads at their strangest, smartest, and punkest. “Psycho Killer” is my favorite song ever.
  4. The Soft Boys - Underwater Moonlight
    Weird and funny lyrics with really awesome guitar work. Also influenced more bands than you can shake a stick at, but not as popular as the Velvet Underground (although that’s not saying much).
  5. Violent Femmes - Violent Femmes
    This is the sound of adolescence. Every song’s a 10 (with the possible exception of “New Feeling,” which still sounds okay in the context of the album. It may be a repeat of “The Modern Lovers,” but it improved on the (already great) original.
  6. Husker Du - Zen Arcade
    As I mentioned in another thread, the only concept album that works. The songs are unbelieveable, especially since there is 23 of them. All classics.
  7. Throwing Muses - Throwing Muses
    One of the few “girl” bands I like (even though I am one myself), perhaps because they aren’t like other girl bands. Sounds like nothing else before it. The entire album sets a mood.
  8. Pixies - Surfer Rosa
    Raw, funny, rocking. It has the best songs by the Pixies, at their fastest and loudest.
  9. Sonic Youth - Daydream Nation
    Like “Zen Arcade,” another double album where every song’s a keeper. Sonic Youth was never better before or since.
    10)Belle and Sebastian - The Boy With the Arab Strap
    Wistful and summery, equally good as “If You’re Feeling Sinister” songwise, but succeeds better at constructing a “feel.”

Metallica - Master of Puppets The best album they’ve ever done, and some of the best metal ever recorded. I know the words to virtually the entire album.

Alice in Chains - MTV Unplugged Layne’s final performance is spectacular.

Alice in Chains - Dirt Really good grunge-metal album with most of AiC’s classic songs on it.

** Jerry Cantrell - Degradation Trip Vol. 1 and 2** Top-quality double album that is dark and brooding, yet still eminently listenable.

** Metallica - Ride the Lightning** Only slightly behind Master in terms of quality.

Lynyrd Skynyrd - …And One More From the Road Live Skynyrd, and the guitars will peel paint.

That’s the best list I can come up with right now.

I love these music ones. Next time make it 20

INPO:

Guns and Roses-Appitite For Destruction- Ass kicking rock and roll makes a comeback in 1987. This one is good start to finish.

Rolling Stones-Some Girls- I really dig the Stones, and this one has Loving Cup and Casino Boogie, two great tunes.

Chemical Brothers-Brothers Gonna Work it Out- Best driving music of all time. Disco with thought and feeling.

Public Enemy-Fear of a Black Planet- See above. Has never left my cd changer.

Dead Kennedys- Bedtime For Democracy- I bought this because I kept seeing ads for DK T-shirts in Thrasher Magazine when I was a youngin. I had never heard the music in my life. Wow. Talk about a life changer.

Faith No More- King for a Day-I think this is Mike Patton at his very best, this was the album they had been trying for from the start. Simply exceptional.

Frank Zappa-Hot Rats- I still can’t believe he didn’t do drugs. Strange stuff, perfectly done.

Ween-entire catolouge- I know, I should just pick one, but it’s better when examined as a whole. Sometimes funny, sometimes scary, sometimes incoherent, sometimes brilliant.

Tribe Called Quest-Low end Theory- Hip Hop at it’s peak. Nod your head to this.

Metallica- Garage Days- Ok, it’s a cover album. True enough, but they manage to better each of the songs done. Much thrashy happiness.

Randomly speaking:

The Orb: Orbus Terrarum
Great atmosphere, especially in “plateau”. It’s like some kind of magic carpet ride through a breezy, otherworldly landscape. Very pretty sounds.

Plastikman: Consume
Simple and passive beats most of the time, but they really dig in and synch with your pulse very well. Plus, I like anything that has a tempo close to my walking speed. There’s nothing like wearing some great phones and going for a long walk after smokin’ some bud.

Underworld: Dubnobasswithmyheadman
Kinda the same reason as the previous album - good tempo. “dark and long” never gets old to me.

Aphex Twin: Selected Ambient Works Vol. II
Possibly the greatest on the list. My favorite “sound” is on this album… Disc 2, track 2…I’ve probably heard this track a thousand times. These songs resonate like no other.

Boards of Canada: Music Has the Right to Children
If I were to make my own stuff, it would be similar to this. Especially the short tracks like “olson” or “kaini industries”. They’re simple, but in their simplicity is a beauty I understand.

Vangelis: Blade Runner Soundtrack
Ahhh. If you’ve seen the movie and like it, you know what I’m speaking about. A fitting soundtrack to a withered future.

Godspeed, You Black Emperor!: Yanqui U.X.O.
Some of it is kinda…slow…but the last three tracks make up for it in a big way. The 30-minute piece (tracks 4-5) “motherfucker=emperor” is, to me, the pinnacle of rock instruments combined with classical strings. Whenever I hear those strings kick in about 8 minutes through track 4 I get all misty. With it, I picture Great Losses, Widowed Mothers Holding Babies, Bombs Dropping, Nuclear Winds, you get the idea…

DJ Qbert: Wave Twisters
Fun! Much better though if you lift the tracks from the DVD…

Radiohead: OK Computer
Pretty much for the same reasons already posted by others. Radiohead, mostly on this album, have a good understanding of melody. This album flows well.

Sigur Ros: Agaetis Byrjun
Pretty, pretty music from Iceland. Some of it required a few listens, but overall it’s a unique experience.

What really sucks is how you can’t remember your favorites, until an hour after you make such a list…

In no particular order:

Nine Inch Nails - Pretty Hate Machine Perhaps Mr Reznors most accessible work, and the one that first screamed his talent to me.

Sex Pistols - Never Mind the Bollocks My intro to punk…way back when. Even now it says anger and frustrated youth.

Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds - Henry’s Dream A mix of his earlier iconoclastic fatalism and his developing introspection.

Bauhaus - Bela Lugosi’s Dead OK, so it is only an EP. Still a shining example from the grandfathers of goth

The Cure - Seventeen Seconds By far their best, sparse pop with a twist

The Misfits - Walk Among Us It has already been said, but the Misfits rock!

The Sisters of Mercy - Floodland If Bauhaus are the grandfathers of goth, then the Sisters are its godparents (protestations from Mr Eldritch aside).

Siouxsie and the Banshees - Once Upon a Time I did not want to put a singles collection here, but it was the only place I could find ‘Love in a Void’ with a bunch of other real groovy Siouxise tracks. Gotta love that wild-ass voice. Catchy tunes. Still dancing to this.

Joy Division - Closer And Ian Curtis’ final moments. Nuff said, but glorious at that.

The Damned - Machine Gun Ettiquette What more can I say

1. Jeff Buckley - Grace - The best, most powerful album I have ever heard. From top to bottom, one of the greatest works ever. It is so sad that he was taken from this world so young.

2. REM - Automatic for the People - Again, as albums as a whole go, this was top to bottom the best album in the 90s not counting Buckley’s.

3. U2 - Joshua Tree - Same as REM only in the 1980s.

4. Bob Seger - Greatest Hits - Greatest Hits CDs are somewhat a copout, but I like every song here. Are they all classics? No, but the entire album is fun. It is a great driving CD.

5. Van Morrisson - Greatest Hits - The man was a genius. Nuff Said.

6. Pink Floyd - The Wall - Does this need explanation?

7. Blues Traveler - Travelers and Thieves - Unreal. John Popper is one of the most underrated musicians out there.

8. Barenaked Ladies - Gordon - Frivolous, fun, honest, and raw. Reminds me of high school. I love these guys.

9. St. Germaine - Tourist - If you have not heard this album - GO BUY IT! It is summer on the lake in music form. Fantastic.

10. Billy Joel - Greatest Hits - I know… THREE “GH” albums on this list, but I didn’t know how else to narrow it down. I can listen to Billy Joel sing all day long.

fruitbat - Nice call on the Cub album. There’s at least one other Cub fan besides us on these boards. If you like them, you should check out Tiger Trap if you haven’t already.