What are your favorite apples for eating out of hand?

As opposed to using for pies.

I realize all varieties of apples are not available everywhere, but even here in Texas, we get a lot of varieties from all over. I think a lot of people have only ever had so-called Delicious apples (if there were ever a misnomer, that is it), and I want to scream at them in the grocery story, “You don’t know what you’re missing!”

My favorites for eating are Winesaps, and you can only get them here for about a month in the winter. I also like Jazz, Honey Crisp, Pink Lady. Don’t like Granny Smith except for cooking.

Winesap, Stayman, Empire, and Macoun are favorites. Fujis are ok in a pinch. I don’t like any of the sweet apples like Pink Lady. Macs have a mushy texture that develops within 24 hours of being picked, thumbs down.

An apple must be:
Hard/Crisp
Juicy
Tart

I eat a granny smith for lunch almost every day. The best apple I’ve ever eaten was a Braeburn in New Zealand.

The first four Hello Again named, I have never heard of. The stores around here max out at about 6 or 7 varieties (and only a few of those available year-round).

That said, the Golden Delicious we do get are pretty good almost year-round. While I’m fine with the Golden Delicious, those aren’t my favorite – I find Fujis the most flavorful. Braeburns aren’t too far behind.

Our Granny Smiths are ridiculously sour … almost grapefruit sour :frowning: They look so good … it’s a shame.

Honeycrisp! I like about any apple that is snappy and crisp, though.

My favorite is the Honeycrisp, but I also like Gala, Fuji, and Granny Smith.

I’m curious to try a non-Cavendish banana, but banana varieties are harder to find around here than apple varieties.

I like Pink Ladies, Jazz and Gala for ones that are regularly available.

I had a great small and crisp one at the Farmer’s Market a few weeks ago but can’t recall the name.

Honeycrisp and Granny Smith. I love sour foods, hence the Granny Smith, and the Honeycrisp has such a great texture.

Gala & Royal Gala are my mainstays, but i can get Pacific Rose apples for several months here at Dillon’s in eastern KS. They are the best of all! Crisp, mild flavor, not too tart.

Mainly Fugis, but Honeycrisps when they’re available.

Honeycrisp are my favorites. We have 2 trees in our back yard along with 2 trees of some unknown sweeter baking apple. My husband likes Fuji and Pink Lady apples as well.

I’ve been eating a lot of Honeycrisp lately, which are probably my favorite. Gala, Fuji and Granny Smith are good too. Oh and Winesap.

Growing up we almost alway just had McIntosh. I kind of miss them now.

Honeycrisp. Great texture, tasty, and they’re nice and big. I eat relatively few apples when I can’t get them and gorge on them when I can.

Fuji or Gala when I want something sweet. Honeycrisp when I want something a bit more tart. Honeycrisp goes better with cheese and crackers.

Granny Smith used to be my staple, but this year I’ve switched to Fujis. I also like Galas and Braeburns.

i have gotten myself and several of my coworkers hooked on Jazz. One taste and they were hooked. It was crazy because most of them weren’t apple eaters.

Macoun or Winesap. Almost a reason to move back to the East Coast.

In order of preference:

1. Honeycrisp
  2. Pink Lady
  3. Granny Smith

During apple season when we do pick-your-own I will eat just about any but Red & Yellow Delicious.

Best apple for making caramel apples are Cortland because they have a very tender skin.

Best lunch ever - a Honeycrisp apple, a handful of Triscuits and some aged cheddar.