What are your most silly and pointless small pleasures?

Along the same lines, waking up, glancing at the clock and freaking out because you’re late, then realizing it’s the weekend or another day where you don’t have to be anywhere. That happened to me this morning. It felt so good to cuddle back into the covers.

Though that sigh of relief and contentment at the realization is negated and turns into frustration if you rush around getting dressed and actually leave the house. That happened to me once. Ugh.

Or the Pegasus. :slight_smile:

I had never realised just how much I love this till you pointed it out.

Waking up in my own bed and realizing that I will be sleeping there again that night.
The smell of freshly picked garlic from my garden.
The sound of rain on the skylight at dawn and knowing that I don’t have to get out in it to get to work.

Sleeping in. Doesn’t matter why I happen to have the opportunity to sleep in. Could be because it’s the weekend, or vacation, or maybe I’m working night shift, or maybe I’m just straight-up unemployed (all of these have applied in the past two years). It’s that feeling you get when you wake up and realize you can just role over and go right back to sleep for as long as you want. If you could put that feeling in a bottle and sell it, you could rule the world.

Also, sleeping in a hammock on the bow of a boat making about 10 knots through glassy seas on a clear, moonless night a good 150 miles from shore. It’s like you’re flying through space, very slowly.

That’s always a good one, feels like you’ve been given a free extra day.

Nice! I’ve been playing a lot of zen mode lately. I managed to detonate two hypercubes to each other, which clears the whole screen of gems. It was amazing :cool:

Hearing a Kesha song on the radio, at a bar, or anywhere else. I listen to her songs all the time, but it’s so much more special when somebody else decides to play a Kesha song.

When I’m playing Spider Solitaire and get a game with a glitch which gives me a crazy high score - which is currently 1288 points

Hot water, good dentishtry, and shoft lavatory paper.

USA Today and a couple hours to sit in Panera Bread by my self at a table for 4 by the window in the sunlight. bacon turkey bravo and cheddar broccoli soup… the stress just melts away

Peeling that thin plastic film off a new electronic device, oh man I love that. Also giving directions. If a stranger asks me how to get somewhere and I actually know and can tell them, that just makes my whole day.

I get that feeling when I hear a Prince song when I’m out somewhere, and it’s not one of the usual ones.

I’m watching election results on tv now, but I’m going to go to bed soon and read a good book (“Earth Abides,” for at least the second time) - I love the feeling of knowing that I’ve got a good book started to dive back into.

Going to get my pets for playtime. I keep domesticated rats, which personality-wise are a lot like tiny dogs that you can put back into a box when you want to know where they are. All I have to do is come near the cage and it boileth over with rat, happy to see me. One of them has decided that if I pet him awake, he’s just going to roll over for tummy rubs from now on. :3

Fog. The locals think I’m mad, but I grew up without it, and it seems so cool and tranquil.

The latest one is my Kindle. I just bought it. I still have not gotten over the idea that I have a little magic book, weighing about a pound in its case, that can hold something like three billion pages. I don’t think I ever will.

I agree that fog is amazing - I had one perfect day and evening once with a couple platonic guy buddies shortly after we all graduated from high school - we had gone down to my families summer home one fall day to hang out. We went sailing, and swimming and picniced all afternoon and evening. Shortly after dusk a fog rolled in, and it was a full moon so the entire lake was dead silent, no boats and no sounds other than what we were making , and a gentle wave slapping on the shore and dock sound, and there was a soft even grey glow around us. It was like being suspended in a pearl with time stopped.

You can get a similar silence after a snowfall when there is no traffic going past the house, but you rarely get that universal soft greyness.

Hearing the good part of a song and dropping everything to just listen for a little while.

Another one along those lines, jamming the hell out to silly but catchy pop songs. My latest is Starships by Nicki Minaj.

Running up a flight of stairs and saying “I’m really glad I don’t smoke anymore!”

Drinking a beer in the shower after work.

Winding high through first-second-third in a stick shift on an onramp.

A nice hot shower on a cold morning.

The Sims. Totally silly, and the most pointless thing on the planet, but fun and addictive.

Coffee and a newspaper on weekend mornings before the rest of the house wakes up. Even better when the weather allows enjoying them on the deck.

Body surfing the rare good waves in NJ.