What are your most silly and pointless small pleasures?

I have actually caught myself making fierce fist pump gestures and saying “yessss!” when I see the clock.

Petrichor! (Sorry, don’t ever really get to use that word)

I’ll have to say my heated mattress pad is a beautiful thing. Unfortunately it wasn’t cold enough this winter to use it much.

Falling asleep with my dog. I can’t do it when I need a good night’s rest, like before work, but if I’m off, there he is.

Bagel and a schmear on weekend mornings.

Another one for watching thunderstorms pass in the night. Works much better in my home state of PA, though, than here in the Houston area, for some reason.

Whenever I go to a baseball game, I’ll look around sometime during the second inning and guess the size of the crowd. I’m almost always within 3000 of the announced total.

Flossing my toes.

When I take off my shoes and socks, I “floss” between the toes with the sock I just removed.

I love that, too. I had to buy a few items for my recent work assignment, and I really enjoyed wearing them (and shopping for them).

Cats are always up for a nap, and they’re very good company for a midday snooze.

I love hearing thunderstorms in the middle of the night, too. Lying all snuggled up, cozy in your bed, and the wind and lightning and thunder are raging outside your house - love that.

Oh yeah - fresh sheets on the bed. I don’t know why fresh sheets feel so much better than sheets that have been on for a couple of days, but they really do.

In the winter, whenever there’s a fresh snowfall, I always try to be the first one out in it to walk across the fields on campus. See, if I’m first, then everyone else will follow my footsteps, and the paths across the fields will end up being exactly where I want them to be.

And I also have a FreeCell one. I always try to get the four king-stacks on the far right, and make it so that with the last move, all the cards but the revealed one are already on the kings. That way, when they automatically move up to the aces, they’re all just going straight up, not flying across the board.

Cotton swab. Dampen one end with lukewarm water. Clean ear. Reverse ends to dry. Repeat on other side. Happy happy.

I also like to predict the Final Jeopardy question after the category is announced, but before the answer is revealed. My success rate is maybe 5-10%, but it amuses me and amazes the kids.

And - small pleasure I’m enjoying right now, as a matter of fact - I love to sit alone on my little porch and read or surf the net, especially if it’s raining. (Currently 70°F, soft steady rain, kids asleep, and I’m on the porch. If only I had a q-tip!)

Being smootched awake by my dog.

Drinking ice cold water.

Floating down a section of river that I’ve never seen before.

I’m about to go to the store at 10pm because I’m out of Q-tips. They’re nice right out of the shower, when your ear canals are pre-dampened.

I do that too, but I’ve only been correct once, and the category was State Capitals, so the odds were reduced somewhat.

People taking notice of my car. I have a personalized license plate and some decorations on my car related to my favorite baseball team. I am always extremely pleased when someone honks in support or takes a picture of the car. Being an obsessed fan has its perks.

Also, naps. I know that sometimes, I’ll go lie down on a weekend afternoon just because I can. I’m not even necessarily tired or planning to sleep. But I can lie there and daydream and no one can tell me differently. It’s a beautiful thing.

The smell of fresh coffee in the mornings.

When one of my cats joins me for a lazy Saturday afternoon nap. Bonus points if he or she purrs us both to sleep.

A good book.

I love my heated throw. I turn it on about 15 minutes before I get into bed, but I turn it off when I go to bed so I don’t wake up sweating.

I just got to 10million points on Bejeweled so I know exactly what you mean. I almost don’t want to play anymore because I have no goal to strive for. I’ll just play it for the satisfaction of creating and detonating hypercubes.

The only other game I play regularly on my iPhone is iSpadez. For those familiar with the Spades card game, it’s a great app! I’m pretty obsessed with it, especially making the other “team” get as many tricks as they can. For every one (called by the silly name “Sandbag”) over their original bid the points add up and when they get 10 they lose 100 points (“Sandbag penalty”). I can go through a game of 8 rounds and they’ll have gained 30-40 Sandbags (losing 300-400 points) while I usually have under 5 Sandbags total. I very very rarely get a Sandbag penalty myself. Computers are smart, but the stupid thing doesn’t know how to avoid Sandbags. I always make my “partner” go Blind Nil because the jerk racks up Sandbags like crazy. “He’ll” bid 2 and get 8 tricks. My goal is to get the other team to gain 50 Sandbags. The closest I’ve come in hundreds of games is making them get 48 Sandbags and I think it’s possible.

Uncle Leslie!

@Courk:

I’ve never heard Of that word…but yes! That’s it. :slight_smile:

Total engagement in a speech, whether it be informational or dramatic; just suddenly feeling like I -get- what’s being said, and gain a great enthusiasm for it.
(On the flipside, also realizing that what -I- am saying has done that to someone else. Most recently experienced with my 7-year-old nephew. Nothing quite like it.)

Listening to my cats purr.

Catching lightning bugs in the summer.

Watching thunderstorms pass by.

Standing outside in the light snowstorm and looking up and just watching the snow swirl around.

The smell of fresh cut grass.

Wrapping up in a warm blanket fresh from the dryer.

Getting compliments on my baked goods.

Looking out my dining room window into the back yard, enclosed by a tall fence. Three tall trees, flower beds, a birdbath with a dripping water feature. The grass is mowed around the beds in a path and late in the afternoon with the sun glinting through the trees and the robins singing, it’s like my very own little mini-park. When the grass is just cut, or in the rain, it’s extra special, and even when it’s 95 degrees, it looks cool and shady. I need something else out there to make it more parklike…a wrought iron park bench would be good!

Oh, so many thoughts come to mind. The crisp handling of a freshly-sharpened luge on Norwegian ice right in the morning chill. The mundane victory of chasing down the North Atlantic kracken in my nuclear powered high-speed submarine. Seeing the juice trickle out of the first slice of a wagu beef Wellington. Still being drowsy after nine hours of sleep and receiving that daily Thai massage. The tranquility of hand-brushing my pegasus on Wednesday mornings as the sun breaks over the Taj Mahal.

Yes, I am a man of the simple pleasures in life.

That’s much nicer than my first thought – a roving gang of kid muggers. :stuck_out_tongue:

It’s hardly a challenge with a nuclear sub. If you want to be more sporting, use the luge!