What can I be ticketed for while driving on a closed roadway?

There’s probably a GQ answer for this, but I’ll expect I’ll get more traffic here.

Long story short, there’s a lot of road construction going on here much like almost everywhere else. They’re pretty much expanding all of the interstate overpasses and revamping the access roads where the interstate passes through the city here. Long overdue as the previous design was to accomodate about half the current traffic volume.

At one point they’ve added an overpass to connect to the loop that will cut off about 5 miles and 10 to 15 minutes of time depending on traffic and lights to get to the next exit.

The overpass has been completed for several months and I have seen construction worker vehicles and heavy equipment parked on it so I know the concrete is cured. Driving passed it reveals that the only thing obviously remaining is painting the stripes. The only obstacle is barricades at both ends.

If I were to decide to ignore the barricades and cross the overpass and one of the local LEOs were to observe me, what could they write on the citation that would actually stand up in court?

I don’t think trespassing would fit the bill because the roadway isn’t private property. About the only thing that might fit the bill would be failure to obey traffic signs. ie. Ignoring the barricades.

I know there are at least a few LEO and barrister Dopers out there. What say ye?

It is in Ontario – “Driving or operating a vehicle on a closed road”, 3 points

And in New Jersey,$71.

And in Ohio.

So in general I would think the answer is “yes”.

IANAL, but I work for one who deals mostly with traffic. Here in Nevada they’d likely cite you for “restricted access” which seems to me to be a catch-all for anytime your driving somewhere you shouldn’t be driving. I’d imagine most jurisdictions have something similar available to LEOs, if they don’t have something on the books that specifically adresses closed roads.

I could be wrong though, I’m only familiar with Nevada traffic laws, and again, not a lawyer.

Neither is the Oval Office, but you can’t just waltz in there.

Based on my experience in 1975, you can get a hell of a speeding ticket.

In that state, at that time, there was apparently a default speed limit on closed/under-construction roads of 15 mph (unless otherwise posted). I decided to try out my Camaro’s* acceleration and see just how fast it would go on a soon-to-be-opened freeway segment. Just my luck that a state cop was waiting under the first bridge.

I got a ticket for 97 mph in a 15 zone. Try explaining that one to your dad (or your insurance company).

*Near exact replica of my car in high school.