What color is this dress?

The color corrected one looks vaguely gold to me…but the original just looks black and blue. And a very definite, deep blue, too. It will never look gold or white to me. :frowning: I, too, feel like there’s a glitch in the matrix.

Color (ha!) me confused as well. It looks clearly blue and black to me. In the bottom left there is a black and white pattern. Part of the blue of the dress meets the white of that pattern and is obviously a different color. For the people that see white/gold, does the white look the same as the white of the black and white pattern?

Ok, if I stare at the light parts of the background for a while, it will shift to blue for a second, and then fade back to light. I get what’s happening, but I’m still not comfortable with it.

Wait a minute, I thought this was one of those “did you hear they took gullible out of the dictionary” jokes! People are actually really seeing it as blue and black and aren’t just pulling my leg? (ETA - within the last hour this has EXPLODED Facebook.)

HOLY SHIT. I just wrote that, sent it to some friends, went back to the exact same page, and now I see it blue and… not maybe black but gray. Definitely blue.
I… I don’t even know how to feel anything anymore.

I can’t make it go back to white and gold!

I don’t see black at all. I see light blue, almost lavender, and gold.

Nothing I do (scroll, stare at it, reload it) makes it change one whit.

It looks pale blue (like white under poor lighting) and gold to me. I don’t see black anywhere, even washed out black. I, too, thought it was some kind of meme/joke. There has to be an explanation if people are really interpreting those colors as blue and black.

I am not fucking around. It CHANGED.

This image is spreading like wildfire. At first all I saw was white/gold but now I’m seeing blue/black, using the same image. I can’t change the colour at will. If I take a break and look again, most of the time it’s white/gold.

Is the question what color is the dress in real life or what color does it appear to be in the photo? In the photo it looks like it’s a medium purplish blue (sort of a periwinkle blue) with brown or dark gold trim. I’m not seeing the colors change as I scroll up and down, look away and look back, etc. The lighting is so bad that I wouldn’t feel confident in saying what color the dress really is, but the photo is so overexposed looking that I’d guess it’s actually darker than it looks.

No, see. It isn’t the kind of change, if you see it change, where it kinda could be a dark gold or a light brownish black. It looks different. I keep looking away, and at different colors, or at the light parts of the pictures itself, but I can’t change it back.

In that picture it looks blue and brown to me. In every other picture (except the filtered one that shows me what you all are seeing) it is definitely blue and black.

I don’t see how anyone could see that as white and gold. That’s just weird to me. Wow.

this has to be something to do with how different monitors are showing the colors. Or maybe whether your screen is back-lit. . .

Waitaminnit. Is this a debate about the actual color of the dress, or the color people see when they look at an image on a computer screen? Has there been any testimony from people who claim to have actually seen the dress? Are there multiple live witnesses who also disagree about the colors?

For whatever reason, I can’t view anything at the buzzfeed site linked by OP, but a quick google search finds it all over the place. How true to the original image are any of these other images likely to be? (FTR, I’m seeing darkish-blue and dark-brownish-blackish.) But both colored areas also show highlights (literally, areas where the light reflects off the fabric differently due to the angle), and these areas look pale-bluish-white and kinda-golden-brown.

Further, it the viewing angle of the computer viewer towards the screen makes a big difference, and the technology of the screen probably matters too. The colors of just about everything on my computer screen change depending on the angle at which I’m viewing the screen.

How does ANYONE see white and gold???

Blue & brownish grey for me. Doesn’t change. Weird.

This is purportedly to be the actual dress in question, from the original person who put it up on Tumblr.

I sure hope it is - the one I first saw was pretty hideous.

It looks blue and… not black, necessarily, but certainly darker than gold, and it’s so obviously blue that I spent a few seconds in major WTF-are-you-people-trying-to-pull-one-on-me mode. But I guess that’s what makes it such a big thing.

Also, maybe a lot of people have crappy and/or badly calibrated monitors? As the color adjustment version shows, that makes a huge difference. I kind of want to go downstairs and check it on my color-calibrated Dell now. But that’s so far away…

Now I see both.