What constitutes a club sandwich

After veiwing a certain a fast food commercial, I began arguing with a friend about the definition of a “club sandwich.”
She seemed to think that any sandwich with a meat, lettuce, tomato, mayo, and bacon is a club. I just can’t accept that a sandwich with fried chicken on an untoasted sesame bun (albeit with BLT and mayo) is a club.
Does anyone where to look to find the definitive club sandwich?

I have always been under the impression that a club sandwich had three slices of bread rather than two. Kind of a double-decker sandwich. For ingredients, I believe the following are required: meat (turkey or chicken breast), tomato, lettuce, mayo nad bacon.

Of course this is just my opinion, but that’s how I usually find them served in the midwest.

Time for dinner.

“The problem with the world is that everyone is a few drinks behind.” - Humphrey Bogart

Having had an excellent club sandwich just last night, I will opine that a true club is a BLT combined with a turkey sandwich. It should have three slices of bread, lightly toasted, with little toothpicks topped with tiny ribbons of colored cellophane. But the real important ingredients are the turkey and bacon. Mmmm mmmm my soul longs for one right now (I didn’t have a very good lunch). Sliced avocado is optional. Fried chicken is right out.

Double-decker post with Boris. I think I forgot to toast the bread. That is also a requuirement, I think.

“The problem with the world is that everyone is a few drinks behind.” - Humphrey Bogart

How’s that for consistency: two posts in the same minute with the same content! Great minds think alike (and I think like 'em too, apparently)!

http://www.readersdigest.com/features/thanksgiving/classic_recipes/turkclub.html

Yep - BLT with turkey.

We just get better and better, Uncle Beer!

The original club or clubhouse sandwich contained sliced chicken, not turkey. Turkey, being cheaper and more abundant, replaced the pricier fowl.

Keen’s Chophouse on West 35th Street, NYC, still makes 'em the old-fashioned way. They also omit the unnecessary middle slice of toast.

Uke

Boris, this is getting spooky.

Regular: ‘sir, yes sir!’
Club: ‘sir, yes sir, yes sir!’