"What Do They Call French Toast in France?" & Similar Questions

[QUOTE=OpalCat]
I don’t see how the discussion at hand wasn’t providing facts and information. Apparently your input is just so vastly superior, though. Mainly what I took offense to was your “exasperation” that we even dared to broach the topic in the first place.
[/QUOTE]
I’m sorry, my reading comprehension must be off tonight. What, exactly, did you contribute to “information and understanding”?

Wait, hold on a second while I review…

Right. Scones are “only vaugely” like American-style biscuits, served cold next to brownies, and can be made from a box mix. Also, American-style biscuits and gravy look “exactly like vomit”. Thanks for…

Wait, I need to check the front page a second…

Oh, yeah. Thanks for fighting the ignorance!

[QUOTE=TheLoadedDog]
If you’re in the wilderness, you’d probably best try cooking a damper on the campfire. Damper is made from a scone recipe, so it’s like scones but also different. :smiley:
[/QUOTE]
And for the almost-Anglo amongst us:

Basic damper bread.

:wink:

[QUOTE=Rooh Afza]
I’m sorry, my reading comprehension must be off tonight. What, exactly, did you contribute to “information and understanding”?

Wait, hold on a second while I review…

Right. Scones are “only vaugely” like American-style biscuits, served cold next to brownies, and can be made from a box mix. Also, American-style biscuits and gravy look “exactly like vomit”. Thanks for…

Wait, I need to check the front page a second…

Oh, yeah. Thanks for fighting the ignorance!
[/QUOTE]

Wow, chip on your shoulder much? :rolleyes:

Er, no. Yourself?

How about a fry on your shoulder? Or a crisp?

burshes off trousers

Ok, you got me there. I was eating crisps just now, but the crumbs aren’t on my shoulders.

AAARRRGGGH! This is not american cheese! It is cheese FOOD! It says so on the package. I don’t care what Wikipedia says about it. Genuine American cheese is real cheese. It is a very mild cheddar, and I like it. Kraft singles are not cheese! It says so on the package. When I am poor I can eat kraft singles, but it has a very synthetic taste. I buy Kraft Delux Deli style. That is real (Although not the best), American cheese.

Oh yeah, and what about Venetian blinds?

[QUOTE=Christopher]
Genuine American cheese is real cheese.
[/QUOTE]
Um, see my post #76. :wink:

In Canada, we call it “back bacon” or just “ham”.

In Buffalo, do they just call them chicken wings? Hot wings, maybe?

Iowans, probably.

I know where you’re coming from, but I knew you were a Zonie and I was using a looser definition of “from Georgia”. Based on the fact that I was hooked on Southern-style biscuits and gravy after living only a month or so in Texas, which as I understand most Southerners don’t even think of as being in the South. (I was at boot camp, though, and thus surrounded by swarms of people from every Southern state.)

The vegetarian bit changes things, though. How is that in Atlanta, BTW? Do you have to defend yourself all the time? Is it tough to eat out?

As for the vomit thing, bleu cheese and chicken a la king look like vomit too and they’re nothing to sneeze at. Not that you would eat either one, but still.

[QUOTE=Quiddity Glomfuster]
A proper croque monsieur is a grilled ham and cheese sandwich which can be dipped in egg and fried. French Toast is just bread dipped in egg and fried.
[/QUOTE]

Interestingly enough this description of croque monsieur sounds exactly like the American dish Monte Cristo, upon which Wiki agrees.

I’ve never heard that term before, but as an American who’s spent a ton of time in bars, I have to confess it seems awfully appropriate.

[QUOTE=fetus]

The vegetarian bit changes things, though. How is that in Atlanta, BTW? Do you have to defend yourself all the time? Is it tough to eat out?
[/QUOTE]

Atlanta is surprisingly good for vegetarians, actually. Plus it helps that when I go out to eat, I usually eat at ethnic restaurants which tend to have better options than American food.

I did recently end up at a family dinner with my boyfriend’s family… at “Ted’s” which is a steakhouse which has exactly NO vegetarian entrees, unless you consider their “get four side dishes as your meal” plate an “entree”. Things like that you just have to deal with from time to time.

[QUOTE=Shecky]
What are Cornish Game Hens called in the UK?
[/QUOTE]

Never come across them, being an American breed (according to Wikipedia). But the Cornish hen is a British breed, from Cornwall, so there’s no problem with calling it such no matter where you are.

[QUOTE=Rigamarole]
On the flip side, is there anything anywhere else in the world called an “American” XXX?
[/QUOTE]

Jenna Jameson, I think.

[QUOTE=BobLibDem]
Does anyone else in the world sell what we call American cheese and what do they call it? (besides garbage)
[/QUOTE]
There’s an apocryphal story that the French, in response to that “Freedom Fries” nonsense, now call it “Idiot Cheese”.

[QUOTE=Christopher]
AAARRRGGGH! This is not american cheese! It is cheese FOOD! It says so on the package. I don’t care what Wikipedia says about it. Genuine American cheese is real cheese. It is a very mild cheddar, and I like it. Kraft singles are not cheese! It says so on the package. When I am poor I can eat kraft singles, but it has a very synthetic taste. I buy Kraft Delux Deli style. That is real (Although not the best), American cheese.
[/QUOTE]

“Willy, dear, I got a new kind of American-type cheese today. It’s whipped.”
“Why do you get American when I like Swiss? …I don’t want a change! I want Swiss cheese! Why am I always being contradicted? …How can they whip cheese?”

[QUOTE=Rooh Afza]
I’m really tired of this “biscuits are like scones but different and almost like crumpets but completely different from English muffin and utterly unlike focaccia but sort of like flatbread” argument that seems to appear each and every time citizens of the UK and America type away at each other on message boards. Don’t y’all ever get tired of it? I mean, seriously. They’re all just distinct variations of bread, just like angel food, devils food, pound, fruit, and basic sheet are variations of cake.

Basic scone recipe.
Basic biscuit recipe.
Basic English muffin recipe.
Basic crumpet recipe.

They are all essentially the same thing but, at the same time, essentially different. Please, for the love of god, stop comparing them to anything but bread.

[/voice in the wilderness]
[/QUOTE]

Hey, while you’re at it, a Venn diagram mapping the different characteristics of the various English vs. American bread-and-bread-type products would be really helpful.

And then you could move on to what constitutes a proper martini.

[QUOTE=Hunter Hawk]
Hey, while you’re at it, a Venn diagram mapping the different characteristics of the various English vs. American bread-and-bread-type products would be really helpful.
[/quote]
Useless exercise. The circles would overlap too closely to be recongnizable.

Gin. Vermouth (optional). Fruit (olives or lemon) (optional). Anything else is just liquor in a fancy glass.

What do they call a Glasgow Kiss in Edinburgh?