What do you always do, no exceptions, 100% of the time?

I do this too, unless the car is warming up at home since I have an extra key inside.

Once when I stopped for gas I turned off the engine and laid the keys on the seat. I somehow accidentally locked the car but was ok since the window was down.

I accidentally locked myself out in a heavy snowstorm, with the heat and radio blasting. Had to wait 3 hours for help. Didn’t need to learn that lesson twice.

I keep my car/house/work keys in my pants pocket if they aren’t being used. At night, they stay in that pocket until I switch them to today’s pants. I always check for the keys in my pocket whenever I leave the house. I once had them stolen by some a–hole 9th grader when I set them down on my desk. No loss of keys has happened since then and I haven’t locked myself out of a car or house either!

My keys are only in one of three places: my hand, my pocket, or dangling from the ignition switch. Period. They stay in my pants pocket until I get dressed the next day, when they are transferred directly from yesterday’s pants to today’s. I’ve never understood the mindset of people who can’t wait to get rid of their keys the nanosecond they step in the door. I never have to hunt for my keys. I can’t count the number of times my wife has suddenly remembered when it’s time to leave for work that she forgot where she put her keys, requiring a ten minute search.

I can’t keep my keys in my pocket at home, because I have the world’s most sensitive panic button on my keyfob. Just sitting down with my keys in my pocket will set off my car alarm. So as soon as I get in the door, they go on a hook by the garage door.

As for the OP, the only thing I can think of is wearing my motorcycle helmet. I always wear a helmet when I ride my motorcycle. Always. No exceptions. Seat belt is 99.99%, but occasionally I will stop at the mailbox on the way home (our box is on a pedestal at the end of the block) and will not put my seat belt back on for the drive up the block to our house.

When my 89-year-old mother gets home, she leaves a trail of stuff between the front door and the bathroom. Coat, shoes, purse, earrings, etc., all randomly removed and dropped on whatever table or shelf happened to be nearby. Then she wonders why she cannot find things.

When I get home, I go to my bedroom and unload my pockets all at the same place. If I need my keys, they will be on the dresser. If I need my wallet, it will be on the dresser. If I need my watch, it will be on the dresser. Shoes will be by the closet door. But they will always be by the closet door.

If I leave the house or drive my car I always have two sets of keys on two different key rings. One in my right pocket, one in my left pocket. I locked myself out of the house twice about 30 years ago. Never again.

I know where my wallet and keys are at all times and check to make sure that they are where I think they are many times a day (either in my front pockets or on my nightstand). I am unpleasantly amazed at how some people I know consistently lose very important things.

I also never let myself go into debt, especially credit card debt. I use the shit out of them for travel rewards but I pay them off instantly as soon as each charge hits (it isn’t hard to do once you have online payments set up with the bank and mint.com to monitor it). I can’t stand seeing a balance on any of my accounts so I get them gone as soon as possible.

I also have my own definition of “broke” that is completely different from other people’s. I keep a whole lot of money in reserve in all of my accounts but especially my checking accounts. However, that is to self-insure against accidental overdrafts or true emergencies (we are talking end of the world type stuff, not some dumbass mistake). In other words, when I say I have no money left, it really means that I have hit my self-selected lower limit and all spending has to stop even though I still have thousands in reserve. I will cash out my coin jar and eat nothing but rice and beans for days as long as it prevents me from dipping into my emergency balance.

Count me in on the sex with dudes thing as well. Some people seem to really like it but that has never been my parade. I don’t consider that to be virtuous though. Like screwing a pig or going to a Turkish prison, it just isn’t something that ever crossed my mind as something that I might want to try. God bless all the brave women and men that enjoy it though.

But what if your rabbits need an AC unit?

Wallet and keys go in the basket sitting on the bar as soon as I get home.

Change into PJs (or cotton shorts and Tee in the summer) as soon as I get home from work.

Check the Dope first thing when waking up.

Disconnect the computer from its internet connection (Ethernet or WiFi), clear cookies & cache before closing the browser and putting it to sleep.

Tip the waitress/waiter.

Love Mother, hate sin.

I’m with Doug K. and california jobcase on this. If I’m in sweatpants on a weekend morning, keys are still in yesterday’s pants pocket, until I put on new pants. If I briefly need my keys for something around the house in that mode, they go back with the old pants in the bedroom when finished.

Sounds like your mother is a hot ticket :).

Always double-check that my dogs have food and water (and that all trash is out of reach) before leaving for the day.

I have a deep box in the coat closet by the front door. Before going to bed, I make sure anything loose or out of place is at bare minimum tossed into that box. Saves precious time rushing about searching for things in the am. Stuff is either put away properly or it is in the box. No exceptions.

Show up late. Actually, that’s two things. I always show up, and I am always some manner of late.

Many years ago my friends invented a license plate for me, it was L8N-ONMT

Late and on Empty.

A cow worker of mine always said “if you are not there early…not only are you not on time…you are late”

Which I totally agree with…

Then there was the other co worker that freaked the fuck out be an un announced missle test meant we would be late because the road was closed for half an hour…

Dude…we get there…we say “missile test”…they will get it…

I always put on my seat belt, wash my hands after using the restroom, and leave the toilet seat down.

I always leave the toilet seat UP. Once, decades ago, I was hospitalized with a ruptured appendix. Unemployed at the time with no close friends, nearest relative 500 miles away… nobody knew I was in the hospital for two weeks. Thanks to the toilet seat being up, my cat was able to get water; it saved his life. So even today, 43 years later, I always leave the toilet seat up… just in case.

Are you referring to the lid? Or the seat?

Because every cat I’ve had find it’s much easier to get a drink from the toilet with the seat down.

I always leave it down for that reason and make sure to give it a flush before leaving the house on long road trips for the same reason.

-Refill ice cube trays
-Seatbelts and lock car doors ALWAYS
-Keys on designated hook
-Turn off lights when I leave a room