What do you call marijuana?

For a foreign perspective: I call the buds and stems “Gras” (grass) and hashish “Piece” (well, piece. It’s a loan word). Every other nomenclature sounds old-fashioned, formerly some people called it dope or shit, but nobody does anymore.

Smoke.
Lid was another name for an ounce.
Also, three finger bag.
Wisconsin, late 70s.

Weed is the most common usage around me. But pot and herb are also not rare. I prefer what they call it on the Michael Kay Show: the Bubange. Not sure of the origin of that one.

If I’m speaking aloud, I usually call it pot or marijuana. If I’m writing, I usually call it cannabis. I’m never sure I’m spelling “marijuana” correctly, and when I’m writing I often am trying to be at least a little formal.

(Also, I’m an actuary and there’s been a lot of chatter about the insurability of the cannabis industry. That’s probably one of the more common contexts where I’ve written about it recently. And when you are talking about whether big insurance companies are going to write business policies for growers and distributors, you don’t really want to use slang.)

At least in my neck of the woods, back in the 90’s, ‘kind bud’ was sort of the generic term for the really good stuff. Back in those days, you essentially had ‘schwag’ as the normal every day weed and if you wanted to impress your friends, you’d get some kind bud or ‘KB’. Kind bud, at least until the early '00s, is essentially the ‘normal’ weed these days. Giving today’s youth the ‘normal’ stuff from 20+ years ago, I’m not even sure they’d immediately recognize it as weed, especially when they have to smoke a blunt to do what should be able to be done with a bowl. In fact, I’m willing to guess most kids under 25 have probably never seen a blunt and many have probably never smoked a joint. It just doesn’t take nearly as much these days.

I’m sure this is highly regional and dope can certainly refer to ‘drugs’ in general, but my understanding has always been that if ‘dope’ had to be associated with a specific drug, it would be heroin. Also, somewhere up thread, someone mentioned ‘gear’. When I hear ‘gear’, I think of all the stuff used for injecting heroin. A little kit with syringes, a spoon and lighter, filters etc.

Also, to answer the OP, I’d call it weed.

In my college days in the mid-70s, it was pot, weed, grass, smoke, or dope.

Now it’s either weed or flower.

About 15 years ago at a friend’s destination wedding at an all-inclusive resort in Mexico for reasons no one clearly remembers we started using the euphemism “Bible study” and have continued to use it ever since.

But generally, “weed.”

Totally contextual too: I go to the weed store. I smoke pot. I do not use medical marijuana; I do use recreational cannabis. Etc.

I feel like ‘flower’ has come into vogue to differentiate the actual plant (buds*) from all the other things being made out of it these days. Various types of oils, shatter, wax, edibles and so on. And, now there’s moonrocks, which look interesting but they’re expensive and, I’m well past the age where I have any interest in getting so high I’m legitimately worried I might never actually come down…and I’ve got to be at work in 14 hours, OMG I’m gonna be high at work, WTF am I gonna do…OTOH, a lot of places say they’re just a good way to sell garbage weed for a lot of money. In any case, for as interesting as they look, I don’t think I’ve read a single good thing about them.

*bud, that’s was another really common one back when I was in college.

Slang is funny. I fell out from hanging around marijuana users around 2005. The main user, and the small time grower I knew in CA, called it kb, so OK, I guess that’s what we call it. They rarely raised an eyebrow at me talking about PR cab this, and mailing list Pinot that, so it evened out. They used water pipes and one-hitters exclusively. I have had to do Coke can, and an apple of all things, surgery though. And then there was using a knife blade and an electric range top element…

Blunts are just nasty. Tried them once. Not a fan. I will note that, contrary to your experiences, weed has gotten nastier, at least in Houston. I can smell it from forever off of people these days. They leave a scent trail as they walk by, making me feel an affinity with the dogs I like to say Hi to. And it’s nasty!
I don’t remember the sheer marijuana reek in the old days.

Anyway, i hear “gear,” I think you’re a bodybuilder, talking about whatever chemicals you’re cycling on or off, not meth. Though I can see it as a synonym for “works.” Meth is ice, or snow, molly, or we’re skiing, or I dunno what. But not gear. Learn something new.

I call it “pot” (or marijuana if I’m speaking formally about it). However, I am 55, and I’ve never actually used it, if you don’t count the contact high I got from the two guys in front of me, who were smoking it throughout the Yes concert I went to in '84. :smiley:

That was a great tour. 90125 tour. My second concert.

Back in the old days, it didn’t have a whole lot of smell to it. The good stuff (kb) had a slightly skunky smell to it. Nowadays, it all smells like skunk and if you don’t have it in something sealed, the whole room will smell like it.
Personally, I like the smell (of weed and skunk, both to a certain extent) so it’s a pro, not a con for me.

My friends call it Herb. And using it is called getting ‘enhanced’!

Also, I had a friend who liked to say;

‘Herb will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no herb!’

My students call it “cannabis” when they talk to me. I respond with “killer weed” because it amuses me.

It was, indeed, a great show (and my very first concert).

I was gonna say, “grass” is the one that sounds old-timey to me. It came up in some reading material the other week and everyone in the discussion was like “when was this written, the 50s?”

“Weed” is the preferred term around here. “Pot” is second. It doesn’t sound odd to my Gen X ears. “Dope” was used to mean marijuana, but these days I hear it more to refer to heroin around here (and this is among 20-somethings, so not just us unhip Gen Xers or Boomers).

If you want to go old-timey, I’d suggest ganja or reefer or ‘the devil’s lettuce/cabbage’ or wacky-tobaccy.

To my ears, ‘grass’ is a very '70s term. Mary Jane sounds pretty dated as well. I’m not sure from when though 60s or 70s maybe?

Yeah, I was exaggerating a bit. 70s sounds right to me.

If nothing else, think about what decade you’d associate a ‘gas, grass or ass, nobody rides for free’ with.