What do you call marijuana?

The definitive compendium…

In high school and college, pot or “real estate” from the interpretation of a Simon and Garfunkel lyric a friend and I had.

Now, pot or marijuana. The latter only in more formal contexts. Not cannabis.

Readers of a certain generation will immediately recognize this as a slight mis-quote of the phrase from The Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers.

I guess I say “weed” more often now, but “pot” was the preferred term in high school (late 90s-early aughts) and still doesn’t sound dated to me. “Grass,” “dope,” and “Mary Jane” sound boomer-ish to me, though.

You been smoking some Labrador, man?

I call it my “herbal supplement”.

I’ve called it “pod” since reading Chester Himes’ “Pinktoes” (1965), where it appears passim. It seems to make more sense than “pot”.

Tupperware and its competitors should be rated based on this. If you can’t smell it, the container is very well sealed.

To answer the question, weed, flower, then cannabis. Marijuana seems to be the formal term, especially when discussing legalities.

Through the 70s, and the bit of the 80s that I was regular user it was mostly dope.

I call it “medicine” just for the eye rolls I get from my gf. If my gf isn’t around, I call it my boo, ala Tom Waits.

Well, he got Pharaoh on the 8 track
You start smoking a little boo
You thinking getting out of Chicago
Was the best thing ever happened to you
But he ain’t no good Samaritan
He’ll make sure he’s reimbursed
Lot more than twenty nine dollars and an alligator purse

Heard on a podcast:

“It’s only called Marijuana if it’s from the Marijuana region of France. Otherwise, it’s called Sparkling Oregano.”

We call it weed or pot. Our code for a smoke session is a Safety Meeting or " have to go turn the van around".

When friends drop into the trees to smoke a joint while skiing, it’s referred to as “head wax” or “green wax”. I usually call it pot or weed interchangeably.

I’m 56 and an actual user of the stuff. It’s amusing how few people on The Straight Dope are familiar with the stuff in real life.

Anyway, I say weed or pot generically. I say flower if I am referring specifically to the buds as opposed to a vape pen.

It seems like most of the folks here are currently using or have used it. I’m not sure what you base that statement on.

In Colorado its called money.

I concur.

hajario may have a bit of confirmation bias… I think a couple of posters specifically mentioned that they have never used pot (yeah, that’s my choice when I’m writing because it only has three letters) so that stays in one’s head.

My confirmation bias takes me the other direction: I’m surprised by how many ‘Dopers’ say they do use it.

When I think of “weed,” I think of Rob Schneider’s “You put your weed in there!” character from SNL.

Surprised no one has mentioned that sweet sweet cheeba yet

I like sparkling oregano. :slight_smile: Thanks for sharing that Jumpbass!

I have a friend named Mary Jane who got teased by idiots through her whole life. Finally, she’d had enough and decided to officially change her name. I suggested changing it to Ganja. (Hey, I didn’t say I’m not an idiot.)

Or, what about Crystal? Maybe you like two part names though, so maybe Crystal Beth?

Around 1975 a FFFB comic was the last time I ever saw grass called “the boo.”