What do YOU call them?

We always called them thongs when I was a kid but that name seems to have been re-appropriated to an entirely different piece of apparel. I’ve heard them called jandals or (warning: racist!) jap flaps, and other names I can’t recall at the moment.

I know you’ve all worn them. The basic flat, foot shaped piece of stiff foam rubber with straps on either side that meet at the front in a little stem that goes between your big toe and the rest of your toes. (Boy, I’m not going to win any prizes for description today!)

So what do YOU call them?

“non sunt multiplicanda entia praeter necessitatem”
– William of Ockham

Flip Flops

As a kid, we called them flip flops, too. Now I call the chuples, which is the Nepali word for them.

“I think it would be a great idea” Mohandas Ghandi’s answer when asked what he thought of Western civilization

Thongs

Flip flops or thongs, but in reverance to the beatiful creation of the G-string I no longer feel the flip flop worthy of the thong moniker.

When I was little-thongs

Now-flipflops

Beach sandals.

Flip-flops

It was dark all around.
There was frost in the ground
When the tigers broke free-

Flip-flops.

Yes, flip-flops is a term I’ve heard. I was looking for an unambiguous way to refer to that particular footwear (see the “fall down - go boom!” thread) but I didn’t know a word we would all recognize. I would really hate for people to misunderstand when I said I was wearing thongs! (I wimped out and said I was wearing sandals.)

I remembered the other name my wife uses – locals. I think it’s a brand name.

“non sunt multiplicanda entia praeter necessitatem”
– William of Ockham

My dad called em toe stubbers. He swore that things would land for him to stub his toe when he wore em

I’ve always called them flip-flops. Always have, always will. :slight_smile:

tipi :slight_smile:

Flip-flops here too.

Thongs first, flip-flops much later.

survey says…Flip-flops.
even in Canada :wink:

Cheap, unattractive, uncomfortable footwear…

Better known as flip flops.

Jandals. But they gave me Tinea.

Always been flip flops to me.

Funny flip flop story. We were at the beach and my mom bought my dad a pair. He had never open shoes before (sandals, flip flops, etc) and was very wary of them.

He finally relented and tried them on. Picture this…a large man- 6’ 2" 230lbs walking around in flip flops while trying to keep them from making their natural “flip-flop” noise. I wish I could decribe it better, it was a riot.

Flip-flops or ‘Jesus boots’.

“I blew out my flip-flop,
and stepped on a pop-top…”

Even Jimmy calls 'em that.

Also heard them called “shower shoes”.