What do you do with anger?

It takes an awful lot to make me angry – I’ve got one of the longest fuses in the world. However, if you ignite it enough, I’m going to get angry.

You don’t want me to be angry. Really, you don’t. When I was a kid my anger was the throw-things-against-the-wall kind of anger. It’s probably a good thing I was small and not very strong because, had I not been, I probably would have found myself in a few fistfights.

I’ve never acted on the latter, but when I was younger – say, 20s and 30s – I did shatter few things against the wall in an attempt to justify to others WHY I was angry.

These days I let whatever angers me go over my head. Chances are it’s either 1) something I cannot control, and/or 2) something which, in the long run, isn’t going to matter, and therefore doesn’t need any additional energy from me.

I think growing up in an angry household has a lot to do with this in the “I’m never going to be like them” sense.

Most of the time I know why I’m angry, but sometimes I just sit, irritated and bubbling with anger, unsure what fo do! I think I should take your guys’ advice and contemplate the whole situation through.

My sister and I had a conversation about our anger issues and figure it might be genetic :stuck_out_tongue: but nonetheless, I’m naturally an angry, negative person!

Thinking over it and letting it pass might help. I also, as other posters stated above, fantasized their doom in multiple ways, which really helps. Kinda sickening, right? (It involved a bow, arrows, duct tape, brass knuckle, throwing stars, a can of mace and a stick)

Thanks to everyone! I can understand and relate to your experiences. It’s been a pleasure.

Anyone else? :smiley:

If I’m angry you probably wouldn’t know it. I tend to stew about it. But over the years I’ve gotten pretty good as letting it go and coming back to a place of peace.

Things to do with rage

…take it, make it like a game, small puzzle or toy train…

…take it, make it burn below, like a furnace for some fuel…

…take it, make it fuel new things, with old scraps and some used springs
you can build a small machine, you can build a factory or two…
…Many things I have done with rage…

And while you’re there, rock out to Power Blaster because that song is awesome! Been a while since I listened to Wax Mannequin, thanks for the reminder! :slight_smile:

Historically: Push it down. Turn it on myself. Drink over it.

Today: Serenity prayer, talking to someone outside of the situation that I trust, taking care of the things I can take care of.

Not always and not perfectly, but as much as I can.

I sit and obsessively sharpen a bowie knife while muttering the name of who angered me. I pause occasionally to gulp Lord Calvert straight from the bottle. Did I mention that I’m naked?

What would Mr. Rogers do?

Generally anger disappears very quickly for me, not always of course, but I never hold onto longer than an hour it seems. I think I just get bored being angry and dwelling on something.

I used to be extremely judgemental and angry but was so buried in it that I didn’t step back and see it until I was in my late 40s. When I was 47 I sought out a psychologist who dealt in anger manager and worked with him for two years. For the first few months I was seeing him once a week as there was a lot of history to sort out. He was something of a miracle worker though it is still incumbent on the patient/client to make the effort.

It was hugely worth the effort but for me there is one nasty side effect and that is the regret I have when I look back at the first 25 years of my adult life and the damage and hurt I’ve inflicted on others and how I’ve consequently hurt myself in the process. I’m no longer an angry person and the things that would have made me angry in the past make me much less angry now and I have the presence of mind to objectively monitor and control my own behaviour.

I bottle it up until I explode.

Creative visualization. I sit a chair in front of a door, then sit down and look at the door. I imagine that outside of that door is all the world before me, all of my future, every good thing that’s waiting on me and will ever happen to me, every smile, every laugh, every joyful moment. Then I imagine my anger there in the room with me, keeping me trapped from the joy outside. With every breath I breathe in I bring the world outside closer to me, and with every breath I breathe out I expel the anger that’s holding me out the door to dissipate, until my anger is no longer holding me back. Also, the next person who walks through the door gets punched in the fucking face.

I clean.

And I haven’t been very angry for a while, so my house is a wreck.

Bury it under some cookies.

Internalize it. Let it fester. Obsess about what I should have done differently.

Eventually my unexpressed anger comes out misdirected.

I’m not saying it’s the right way, or even a good way. It’s just my way.

I’ve certainly favoured the furious drinking route some times over the years. It did however once get me barred from a pub for two whole years for performing an obscene version of ‘Lady is a Tramp’ on the karaoke, so it has its disadvantages.

I am haunted by hate, rage and resentment from bad events in my past. It rarely/never carries over into my contemporary relationships (I don’t blow up at people for no reason, I’m only mad at a few dozen people I knew a decade ago and waste tons of time reliving it in my mind). If there is a solution, I haven’t found it. I don’t think I ever will. It sucks. I just try to make the best of it. It is a pathetic addiction I can’t overcome.

Maybe things will get ‘better’ but they will never be solved. There is a rip in my soul I don’t know how to heal so I just numb it with hate.