What do you get when you freeze yogurt?

By just taking a container of yogurt and plopping it in the freezer, not by using an ice cream machine with yogurt in it. I would try the experiment myself, but I’m eating the last one right now.

Frozen yogurt, of course. But not the sort you get in a TCBY. It winds up as basically a solid block of yogurt that’s inedible until it thaws.

Unless you feel like hurting your teeth. In my case, I wouldn’t even have to bite into it. Stupid senstivity…

Pour it into icecube trays for smaller frozen blocks. Good for making smoothies in the blender.

“I don’t know. What do you get when you freeze yogurt?”

…and the punchline is?

What do you get when you freeze yogurt?
A tax schmozzle:

In Australia the question of whether frozen yohurt (the commercial product) should be classified as a food (as yoghurt is) or confectionery (as ice cream is) and the implications as to the levels of tax (either wholesale sales or GST) has been the subject to the longest series of claims and appeals in our history.

It took two years to determine whether frozen yoghurt should incur sales tax, then the GST regime was brought in and they had to go through the process again. So far the Tax Office is winning (again).

What you get is thousands and thousands of animals (the bacteria) dying a horrible death of having their cell membranes explode as the watery contents of these cells expands upon freezing.

Oh, the horror!

That’s why frozen yogurt isn’t as ‘good for you’ as regular yogurt, because the bacteria (which is beneficial to digestion) are dead.

Peace.

Use to freeze yoghurt in the homemade iceblock thingies. Came out ok, quite nice when it was barely melted.

I used to put single-serving tubs of yogurt in the freezer. You eat them by hacking at them with a spoon. It’s good stuff. You just can’t use fruit-bottom.

The reason it’s different from the frozen yogurt that you buy at TCBY is that the latter is whipped up after it’s frozen, to give it an ice creamy texture. I think ice cream is whipped up that way too.

More accurately, it’s whipped up while it’s being frozen.

so if you get whipped yogurt, or whip some yogurt and then freeze it, would you get that consistency?

The purpose of stirring yogurt or ice cream while freezing is to prevent large ice crystals from forming during the freezing. This helps give the product a creamy texture. Stirring the mixture before freezing won’t have the same effect.

mix it with cool whip.
then freeze it for a delicious treat!

bacteria aren’t animals…

“It’s okay to eat bacteria, cuz they don’t have any feelings.”

Building on what Jeff said, I’ve made ice cream many times without any sort of ice cream maker. What you do is make your ice cream according to recipe, and then as you freeze it, make sure to whip it with a fork throughout the entire freezing process. When it’s done, scoop it out and let it sit for a couple minutes and your ice cream is fine. I always assumed this method wouldn’t work, but once when I was a kitchen porter at rather fancy restaurant, the chef gave me the recipe for their fabulous prune and Armignac ice cream and there was no ice cream maker whatsoever involved. Just a regular ol’ freezer.

I’ve never tried this with yoghurt, but I assume it would work just the same.

So how can you whip it while it’s in the freezer? Do you take it out every couple of minutes? The timing for that is probably very difficult.

I froze yogurt in a popsicle tray last summer. The result was similar to a Jello Puddin’ Pop, but not as tasty. Still, it was a decent treat on a hot day when I was sick of popsicles.

Some of those whipped or creamy yoghurts might freeze into a palatable mass, as they add gelatins and stabilizers that could interfere with the formation of large ice crystals. The only way to tell in that case is to try it and see.

Almost. Take it out every hour or so. The timing is not difficult at all. Maybe a little more often. Just use your judgment.