What do you like in your crêpes?

I just had to go an mention crêpes (in another thread)! :rolleyes: Yeah, then I made some*.

I like crab in a white sauce in my crêpes. That’s my favourite. Too bad I don’t have any crab. So instead, I had a crêpe sprinkled with a little sugar and some lemon juice, one with a little schmeer of Nutella, and one with strawberry jam.

So, as the title asks, what do you like in your crêpes?

*I don’t have a special crêpe pan. I just use a non-stick skillet. Works like a charm.

Brie, sliced pear and hot peppers.

Scallops and orange pieces flambéed in Sambuca.

Oh, that sounds great! What kind of peppers?

I think I am literally drooling :eek:

I’m a traditionalist - spinach and a white sauce.

Ok, clearly I need to explore the world of crepes.
I tend to think of them in the ‘sweet’ category, and I don’t have a big sweet tooth.
But the savory ones, holy cow…yeah. Time to learn about crepes!

I like those little Jamaican Scotch Bonnet peppers, myself, but Thai finger hots do the job well, too. Sliced thin and tiny and spread out all over.

I’ve never cared for jalapeños when they’re cooked - I find the heat brings out the bitter in them.

Nutella with coconut, of course. :slight_smile:

The first crêpes I ever ate were the crab ones. Maybe that’s why I like them so much.

Huh. I’ve never found them so. (I usually eat them raw or pickled.)

Tomato, cream cheese and Pastrami (toast some sesame seeds in the pan before batter up)

Vanilla ice cream, dark chocolate syrup and whipped cream (we call 'em Palm Sundaes)

Cottage cheese and canned peaches

Oh, they’re such fun! The crêpes themselves seem to scare folks off, but once you’ve made them a few times, you get used to them. I’m not much for the dessert ones, either - there’s a good James Barber recipe using avacado, vanilla ice cream and instant coffee which I remember worked out very well.

And they’re so versatile - main course, virtually anything you’d use on pasta can work as long as it isn’t too runny. Putanesca sauce, Jambalaya-without-the-rice, goat roti, fresh asparagus/green onions/mushroom stems/Italian sausage/chèvre - just let your culinary imagination run wild with what you find in the garden and the fridge. What’s the worst that’ll happen? You’ll be remembered at your funeral for ‘Duck à la Banana’…

For sweet, I like nutella. I also like layered crepes that are stacked, interspersed with chocolate, nut, apricot, and cream cheese layers, topped with powdered sugar. Yum.

For savory, mushroom & cheese (your pick. I like crimini & gruyere or some variety of goat cheese.) Or dill & farmer’s cheese. Or a meat (pork or chicken), paprika, and sour cream filling known as Hortobagyi palacsinta.

Sour cream and sturgeon roe caviar is nice.

Failing that, nutella will do.

Oh, you don’t know what can of condensed worms you have opened up; on another board, my title <and there they’re earned, not taken> is The Mistress of Accidental Cooking. It’s apt!

Going to have a lot of fun with this, muhahahahaha

Mushrooms and shredded chicken

Strawberries and mascarpone cheese.

Crepes Suzette
Strawberries and Grand Marnier with sour cream or creme fraiche
Bananas, brown sugar, rum and butter
Mascarpone cheese, powdered sugar on top.

Dinner crepes:

My first ever crepe had chicken and shrimp jambalaya. The chicken, sausage, and mushroom crepe was good too. For sweet crepes, I’m a traditionalist and I like nutella with sliced bananas and strawberries.

But crab with white sauce, that’s a new one. It sounds great. I’m going to have to look into this one.

That… sounds surprisingly good, actually. And I’ve never really liked duck.

scribbles down OK, now I know what I’m having for dinner tomorrow night.
While I’m here, has anyone ever tried prepackaged crepes? Are they any good? I’m not very fond of making my own. (I’ve never been good with pancakes, either.)

make crepes
make scrambled eggs
make bacon crumbles
make hollandaise sauce

roll scrambled eggs with a few crumbles of bacon in said crepe
arrange 3 crepes on a plate
sauce with hollandaise ON TOP
garnish with a few more bacon crumbles

Crepes Benedict [I used to make it at SCA camping events =)]

[And DON’T get me started on the absurdity of sauce UNDER foods. I want to actually get the damned sauce ON my food so I can taste it, not frantically scrape for dregs of dainty sauce dribbles]