What does a pWhat woHow would publisher treat a great plot written by an awful writer

What would a publisher do if they were presented with a book where the basic concept of the book was great, but the author was not a good writer?

For example, imagine I had written a story like “Charlotte’s Web” but my writing style was horrible. In fact, no amount of work with an editor would improve my writing enough to be published. But the publisher can see that it’s a great story and would do very well if written properly. What would they do in that case?

Sorry about the subject. I’m not sure how that happened. Just goes to show how terrible of a writer I am :slight_smile:

They’d send a rejection letter. They can’t publish a concept. As every author I’ve ever read an interview with or heard a discussion with says, “great ideas” are a dime a dozen. It’s what gets done with the concept that’s important.

Exactly. You’re supposed to deliver a good plot AND good writing. If the plot is good enough, you might get a note telling you why they are rejecting you, but it’s highly unlikely they’d publish a badly-written book.

There are occasional exceptions. Supposedly an editor took Thomas Wolfe’s* first novel, Look Homeward, Angel and pruned it diligently to make it publishable. But Wolfe’s problem was not that he wrote badly, but that he wrote too much.

Besides, that was in 1929. No editor would do that today.

Getting the mechanics write is part of the job of an author.

*Not Tom Wolfe. Thomas Wolfe. Different author.

Like not confusing “write” and “right.”:smack:

RealityChuck
I was wondering…
:wink: