What does Bling Bling Mean?

I think that’s crows, not african-americans.

Well, I’ve found that most humans gravitate towards shiny things. Not just Blacks. Why do you think we love gold and diamonds so much?

Bling Bling can be used as an affirmation and a sign of good feelings as well. For example, “Hello Chester, old chap. Care for some baked brie?” “Bling Bling!” Or another example, “Winthrop, the IRS has decided NOT to audit my shady business dealings with the Latin Americans!” “Bling Bling!”

If that doesn’t work, imagine Gary Coleman saying it.

The folks I hang out with use it as a substitute for any word that you don’t necessarily want to say in public (eg, certain illegal substances) or just for something you might not know the word for (like those funny orange fish eggs on some sushi). Give me an unagi roll, but go easy on that bling bling stuff.

I guess it’s used here as a synonym of “shit”, but maybe that’s a very localized usage…

Yeah, I hope it wasn’t taken as me saying or implying that black people are mentally undeveloped, such as how babies are attracted to shiny things. I honestly didn’t mean it that way.

But there seems to be a big attraction to, or popularity of, shiny things in today’s black/urban/hiphop (whatever you want to call it) culture. Watch some rap videos or something, you’ll see what I mean. I was just watching Chris Rock on HBO and he was wearing a SHINY metallic suit. Just because it’s a generalization doesn’t make it untrue. But I don’t mean to imply that it’s a genetic thing. Naw, shiny (jewelry, cars, rims, clothes, anything)is just considered cool amongst blacks right now. I think “fad” would be the best way to describe it. And whenever I hear “bling bling” it’s in reference to that fad. No racist intentions met. White people have their things too.

ah, how could I forget my favorite lyric!

“ain’t got no job, but I still shine…can’t pay my rent cuz all my money’s spent…but that’s okay, cuz I’m still fly…”

Yea, like white folks aren’t obsessed with diamonds, silver BMWs, sequin gowns, or the farking Backstreet Boys prancing about in their shiny outfits. Bling bling?

Jewelry? Hmmm. I guess that sort of makes sense.

I was sure “Bling-Bling” was derived from the sound of a slot machine paying off.

Similar to the “Ka-CHING!” cash register sound that people were so fond of saying back around 1994, to mean they have some money rolilng in.

Zagadka I don’t think any of those things (except the backstreet boys possibly) are “white things.”

Right now it seems that ‘things that shine’ is the single biggest cultural fad among black americans (duno about in other countries) since rap music. I think it has to do with a cultural expression of materialism. Shiny is equated with new, clean, and expensive. The incredibly wealthy athletes and musicians set this trend. Everything Shaq and Puff Daddy display in public is shiny.

I would propose that white people flaunt wealth differently (not superiorly, just differently). I think white people are incredibly obsessed with brand names. A Rolls is a Rolls, whether it’s waxed and shiny or not. No matter how ugly a shirt is, if it’s made by a top designer it’s analogous to “bling bling” among whites. Yep that shirt is ugly as crap but it’s a Zegna.

Yes, We’re silly that way.

I love the concept of the padunka-dunk butt, myself.

The term has been around long enough for a few mutations to occur. For example, if somebody is putting on a gaudy display of wealth, but he’s inexperienced or clumsy about it, that’s called Stumbling-Bling. Likewise, if the person making the display is slow and very casual, almost nonchalant about her Blingin’ , she’s Ambling-Bling. When you read in Rolling Stone about some rookie pop star griping about how the fans and the press won’t leave them alone, that’s Grumbling-Bling. :stuck_out_tongue:

It can be shortened to just “bling”.

Check out the bling on dude`s wrist!

You are correct. You are wrong, and you are just not very knowledgeable on “urban” matters.

Quit while you’re behind.