What does the "No new posts" icon mean

Near the bottom of each forum, there are three icons, labeled New Posts, No New Posts, and Closed. What exactly does No New Posts mean? Is it no new posts, ever? No new posts since the last time it was read? It’s definitely not no new posts since I last visited the forum, because I just saw a post in this ATMB forum dated yesterday, but I haven’t visited this forum in more than two days.

Commence fighting my ignorance!

Not to bump this thread, but I looked for this thread before continuing on to my usual lurking, and it was marked “No New Posts”!

If you have checked “Remember me” and accept cookies from this site, the New Posts icon should stay up until you open the page with the post or globally mark it as read.

Generally, if you’re being asked for your password, that sort of information is reset.

Threads that have posts since the last time the server checked that thread ID from your user account will show up with the New Posts icon. Threads that do not have posts since the last time the server checked the thread ID from your user account will show up No New Posts. Locked threads will show up Locked.

It’s tied to the link to the thread. If the link is highlighted/bolded/blue, then there are new posts since the last time the server pulled the information for that forum page. If the links are gray/plaintext, then there are no new posts to that thread.

As stated, it requires you to be logged in when you access the page for the icons to show if there are new posts. Otherwise, they are flagged No New Posts because there is no cookie for when you last visited the thread.

I just logged out to confirm this.