What does this do? Useless unused features on things that you own.

My coffee maker, stove, and microwave all have timers which are effectively useless. I’ve gotten some use out of the coffee timer, but something just feels wrong about letting ground beans sit out overnight; I end up just making it it in the morning and don’t see any tangible benefit in having it start in the morning. (This may have been more useful in my twenties, when I took it for granted that the morning was going to be a struggle to achieve consciousness. Now, it just lets the coffee oxidize overnight and lets the pot get a jump on that been-on-the-warmer-too-long taste.)

My DVD player has a clock on the front for no earthly reason. The VCR needed to know what time it was, but the DVD player doesn’t, it’s just “Hey, let’s display the time with this LED panel when it’s not doing anything else!” Hey, let’s not!

About that dashboard dimmer, I’ve used it. About three summers ago… during an intimate moment. The g/f got frisky and… y’know… the lights just had to go down.

Yesterday I went through everything on my 2 year old car. I found a computer system giving me a lot of data about fuel consumption and average speed I have never used. Prior to today.

My washing machine has about fifteen different settings. I use just one.

The only variable is how much water it needs for each load, and it figures that out by itself.

My car (a 96 Ford) has a three-position rotary knob on the dashboard for the headlights. Position #1 for off, #2 for parking lights, and #3 for headlights. Like this, actually. The dimmer is a small thumbwheel that is next to it. It sets inside the dash with the edge with the wheel sitting flush.

When you leave the drive-in you need the parking lights so you can see to get out. That’s when the dimmer is good.

My iPod touch has a Stocks app which I’ve never used.

I’ve also never used that music mixing programme on my Mac, even when I’ve had to mix music (there are better programs available online).

My phone has a text scanning and transcribing tool, which I tried once for the novelty of the thing and haven’t used since.

I’ve never gone above the 4 setting on my toaster, or used the defrost button.

We got a flat-screen tv for Christmas. The remote control has a row of four colored buttons that do nothing. Seriously. The instruction booklet even admits, “These buttons have no function at this time.”

What are you driving there, grandpa, a Studebaker? :smiley:
mmm

Gee, my old LaSalle runs great!

I rarely use my cell phone, and when I do, its only to make a call. Don’t even know what the hell else it can do.

Oh, I use Scroll Lock fairly frequently. And pause/break all the time. Try this: Windows Key + Break. Opens up your system properties.

SysRq is an antique in its original form, but has been adapted for several useful features in Linux.

In my car, up near the map lights where the rearview mirror is mounted, I have a date display that is completely separate from the time display that is part of the radio display. I’ve never understood why I would need a date display in the car.

People I work with are going to HATE me now…!!

Ill be damned, my bedroom TV has picture in picture. Who knew:confused:

And 9 buttons I have never used. :dubious:

Bwahahaha, I can’t believe it really works!

I have a Jetta that has all sorts of ways to use the key in the lock. Turn it this way twice to unlock just the driver’s door; this way three times to unlock all doors; hold it here to roll all the windows down; turn the key a quarter-twist then pirouette on your right foot to pop the trunk; twist key back and forth to the 14th digit of pi to arm the alarm; etc.

Fancy, but I’ll never remember any car-key choreography unless I find it more useful than just hitting the lock/unlock button on my keyfob.

Mac Users: Dashboard. After the novelty wore off (read: first couple days), never used those things.

iTunes: Coverflow. I can see the appeal for some, I guess, but why would I want to go back to finding the album I want to listen to as if it were a stack of CDs? That’s not why I digitized all my music. (However, I find “Coverflow” as implemented in the finder to be invaluable for finding certain graphics and movies)

Of course, as someone noted upthread, the item that is useless to you will be useful to someone else.

For example, I have a dual oven with only one timer. When I am using both, I have to mentally time one, and the clock right there is helpful. Plus, I have used the delayed start. Not often, but I was happy when I had the option.

I use the various power settings on my microwave. When I have to be somewhere extra early, I save time by having setting my coffee maker to automatically brew.

I use almost all of the settings on my clothes washer, depending on what I am washing.

The remote for my DVR cable box, and the remote for my regular cable box are exactly the same. Obviously, all the DVR specific buttons are superfluous for standard cable boxes.

My guess is that it is something to do with a common international design and fastext.

http://www.teletext.sg/faqs.htm#12

The four coloured buttons, red, green, yellow and then blue, on this remote are the fastext buttons:

http://www.remotec.com.hk/photos/04082010121056_L.jpg

Most of the Dashboard widgets are useless to me, but I do find myself using the calculator a fair bit.

Well, you live in Columbus, so it makes sense that you never use it. It’s for driving down mountains.

Pull out? Seriously? I have seen a pull out headlight control since the 1970s.