What does this do? Useless unused features on things that you own.

I used to, myself, until I just found it annoying to have to enter an isolated space just to punch up some super-quick calculations. So, now I just keep the calculator icon in my Dock for quick access, and it’s usually open and floating on my Desktop somewhere.

Sleep function on an alarm clock.

I know what it’s for, but I’ve never been one to fall asleep to music. Most times, I just find I accidentally hit it while reaching for the snooze button, then I can’t get the damn music to shut off.

Now I just use my iPhone for an alarm. Took care of that.

I posted about this a couple of months ago: After we had a big storm, the power went out for a couple of minutes, so the clocks on the stove, microwave, and answering machine had to be reset. I wanted to heat something up in the microwave and hadn’t gotten around to resetting the clocks yet, but I couldn’t do it. The microwave wouldn’t function until I set the clock including month, date, and year. I can stretch a point to think I could put a cup of coffee, if I drank it, in there and have it on a timer to be hot at 6:42 a.m. tomorrow, but I truly can’t see any reason on earth why the year has to be programmed. So I can eat French toast during the French Revolution?

However, this microwave does have a popcorn setting that makes perfect popcorn every time. It has a moisture sensor that never lets it burn.

Hear-hear. It’s freakin’ annoying.

Speaking of that…

At one time, I had a stereo with 40 volume settings. 1 was barely audible, 6 was normal, 10 was “party loud” and around 15 was “loud enough one dare not dial it up any further.” I have no idea why there were so many even higher volume settings and so few low-volume settings. It seems to me that the opposite would be true – at low volumes, there would be a need for numerous small incremental increases, but once you’re at “call the police” volume, there’s no need for many subtle variations.

Newer stereo equipment seems to be different and have room for more incremental changes at lower volumes.

If you’re only doing simple calculations, Spotlight works fine. This is what I use. You don’t even have to take your hands off the keyboard: Cmd+space opens spotlight, type in the calculation, and it displays the answer immediately. I use Dashboard for my system info, especially temperature and fan speed. I also have a widget that displays output from the HDD acceleration sensor.

I don’t get why cruise control on cars has to be so complicated. You have to switch it on, then when you’re at cruise speed you have to activate it. Why can’t it just be on/off?

Both of these. I especially hate how my iPhone turns into Coverflow when I hold it sideways (easy to do accidentally while driving) unless you lock the screen location and then you have to unlock it for web browsing. Obnoxious.

I use about two settings on my washer (regular load, large load), and two for my dryer (fluff up dry clothes, time dry wet clothes).

After five years, I still haven’t figured out the light dimmer switch on my Corolla - I managed to get it set to on when the door opens and off otherwise, and I don’t mess with it any more.

That’s pretty close to what my remote looks like. Maybe they’re going to add fastext in the next version of the tv, or something.

Ohh, very nice. It didn’t even occur to my to try Spotlight like Google in that regard. Thanks!

The red one gives me sports scores when I’m watching a sporting event. The red one also is used to “delete” on my dvr. The yellow one does something. So, some were given functions by DirecTv at least.

As for dashboard dimmers, as my night vision gets worse with age, I find it very helpful to dim the dashboard way down when driving at night. (and of course, back up for twilight driving)

When our old microwave finally broke after 10 years of outstanding service, the only requirement for the new one was that it have an “Add a Minute” button. It is the only button I use. I rarely cook anything longer than two minutes in nuker since I don’t like my food hot or very warm even.

Awesome tip. Thanks!

I’ve just begun getting regular use out of ours. Y’know what it’s really, really good for? When you get into your car on a stinking hot day and it’s like an oven, and you can’t wait for the air conditioning to overtake the hot. Whip that sun roof open and your car will cool off a ton quicker. Try it and see for yourself.

And just so y’all know my toaster is always set to the highest setting - yes, I’m that person!

I only use speakerphone on my cell when I hit the damn button by accident. Yes, I understand that it’s useful to some people, but I’ve never needed it.

Another thing I’ve never found a use for is the “bagel” setting on the toaster. I find the regular “toast” feature to work just fine. Not sure what it wants to do differently to a bagel.

A few months ago I bought a pair of cheap, Foster Grant reading glasses at the drug store. Wow! they come with a loop and case! But what the helll was a loop and what did one do with it? The “Loop” is a leather cord tied to a rather colorful plastic square about 3in x 3in. What does one do with this? I’m guessing that it hangs from your neck so you can hang your glasses from it when its not being used. Problem is, said glasses would fall off at the first opportunity, not to mention swing forward and bang into stuff when you lean over.

Maybe it has another purpose. A deeper purpose. A talisman maybe?

It only toasts the cut side, leaving the crust side with a nicer texture.

I think the clock is useful on the stove & coffee maker. You often have to time how long you’re cooking, after all, and of course you want to set the timer on the coffee maker so the ambrosia is ready when you wake up in the morning.

I had an old Mercedes for a few years that had a feature to allow you to turn on only one parking light or the other. Worse than having no idea why I would ever need that feature was that the middle setting, straight up-and-down, was off. It took my wife a long time to not turn it all the way to the left, which kept the left parking light on all night.