What fictional place would be the worst place to bring up a child?

“Westeros” at the start of the Long Winter. Not only are soldiers running everywhere raping , killing and lotting- upcoming is a very long winter where most everyone will freeze or starve. You’re simply fucked.

Quor’toth!

Nah… he turned out fine… Admittedly, a rough patch as a teen. But ended up ok. :slight_smile:

I hear there’s lots of werewolves in London.

I saw one coming out of Trader Vic’s with a menu in his hand. His hair was perfect.

I love Mendocino. We visit at least once a year. Invariably someone in the family says, as we approach the town, “I hope we don’t get murdered.”

Whatever the city was in Perdido Street Station.

The City of Lud, from the Dark Tower books. (Particularly if you time it poorly enough to be there shortly before Roland and his ka-tet come through…) Calla Bryn Sturgis, again pre-Roland.

Gor?

Earth, as found in the Tripod Trilogy.

Enjoy your kids, at least until they turn thirteen!

The rapist clown homeworld.

To be fair, since you as an adult would be capped yourself, seeing your children reach caphood would be your proudest moment as a parent. But yeah, if the tripods’ plan had come to fruition … Life on the planet would suck very badly indeed.

Definitely Gor. It is a warlike planet, constant fighting and raiding, and always the danger of being sold into slavery or enslaved for violating customs, especially for women. And once enslaved, you are no longer part of your family, as you legal status is now that of a beast. Norman says in the books that Goreans love chidren and treat them well, but slaves are not treated at all well. Plus Gorean lifespans run to about a thousand years, and slaves are almost never freed, so once enslaved you are in for the long haul. Maybe nice to be a kid, while you’re a kid, but hell on the parents who know the score.

The Middle East, circa the times covered in the Old Testament. The Jews constantly fought with their neighbors, and standard procedure when they took down a city was to kill all the males over the age of 12 and enslave all the remaining inhabitants. And these were the GOOD GUYS!

Maybe not the worst, but the U.S.S. Enterprise is a godawful place to raise a family.

I vote for Banshee, PA

Miss Marple’s St. Mary Mead. Like Cabot cove, only MM traveled less, so the local death toll was greater.

But the one I really would cast my ballot for would be the town in Shirley Jackson’s “The Lottery.”

“and somebody gave little Davey Hutchinson a few pebbles…”
yeeks.

Also Stovington, Vermont.

I wouldn’t want to raise kids in Panem either.

There’s a sequel called “The Stepford Children” and another titled “The Stepford Husbands”.

Nah, just 1980s hairstyles.

Is Cormac McCarthy’s “The Road” a horror novel ?

If not, that’s my nomination.

In between teaching your children how to avoid the gangs of cannibalistic predators, and the importance of immediate suicide if they’re about to capture you, you can have uplifting family discussions about the likely imminent extinction of our species.