What films or TV shows are (inevitably) going to be remade?

Tangentially related to [thread=325150]this thread[/thread], what recent/current films (well, made in the last 30 years) and television shows will be remade or readapted in some fashion? (Not counting films, like War of the Worlds that are already remakes.)

Sooner or later, I fear someone is going to try to remake Chinatown. Ditto for Apocalypse Now, albeit probably placed in a different setting. One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest is an inevitable choice, and I’m a little surprised that no one has yet tried to Americanize Cidade de Deus (City of God) or La cité des enfants perdus (City of Lost Children).

Here’s to hoping no one ever makes a stab at Brazil or Being John Malkovich.

What else?

Stranger

There seems to be a glut on remaking popular 60’s sitcoms, so what ones haven’t been remade yet:

The Munsters

and cartoons:
Live Action Speed Racer
Live Action Astro Boy (Or maybe an animated Astro Boy movie)
I’d really like to see a Live Action Sailor Moon movie starring the Japanese TV series actors, but I doubt it.

Voltron the movie? I’d watch it. :slight_smile:

Let’s also not forget old horror films.

Fall of the House of Usher? I can almost see Christopher Walken as the brother in that one.

I always thought a remake of Rocky Horror Picture show could be entertaining, if rather pointless. Have Frank played by Chris Tucker (admit it, it would at least have trainwreck entertainment value)

Lots of 80’s cop movies that could easily be remade, Tango and Cash comes to mind. (Don’t get me wrong, I’d rather they not remake that movie, but they could)

Can’t think of anything else off the top of my head. Lots of stuff that I do think of happens to be located in the Parthenon Of Movies That Shouldn’t Be Messed With.

Seinfeld: the Motion Picture

Starring:

Jason Schwartzmann as Jerry Seinfeld
Frankie Muniz (in a fat suit) as George Costanza
Katie Holmes as Elaine Benes
the guy who played “Screech” on Saved By The Bell as Kramer
and
Horatio Sanz as Nnnewman!!

Cuz let’s face it. It’s gonna happen eventually. :frowning:

“The Good, the Bad and the Ugly”
“Ghostbusters”

How about “Ultraman - the Motion Picture”. (Does anybody remember Ultraman? Or Johnny Sokko’s Flying Robot?)

How did you miss this?

Burn me for a heretic, but the older I get the more I find myself hoping that my grandchilren’s generation will remake Star Wars . Or at least episodes I, II, III, and VI.

At some point, there has got to be a movie-length, live-action version of The Simpsons.

When it happens, I sure hope they cast William H. Macy as Ned Flanders.

** My Mother the Car - the Motion Picture** :eek: and yes Shoeless I do remember Ultraman.

hey, that movie didn’t suck! Edward Herrmann & Robert Morse did nicely as Herman & Grampa.

Now, the John Schuck TV remake on the other hand… :eek:

From Macy’s IMDB bio, “The writers and producers of “The Simpsons” (1989) have joked semi-seriously that if there was ever a live action version of the show, then he would be the perfect choice to play Ned Flanders.”

The Smurfs. Reimagined maybe?

This one could be good in a different setting. I think one of Tarantino’s ideas for a movie, Inglorious Bastards, was supposed to be like TGtBatU set in WWII. If it was done correctly, it could make for a really kickass movie. I don’t know who could possibly replace the original actors though.

Also, I weep for the day when someone remakes Casablanca

Like, maybe a period piece, where the protagonist goes upriver in colonial Africa, say? :dubious:

I hear a remake of “Logan’s Run” is in the works (From the trailer, I tyhought “The Island” was it, but I guess not)

I’m sure more 80s TV is ripe for pillaging - an “A-Team” movie, anyone?

Ya mean like this?

For the A-Team remake, can we get Katie Sakhoff? :smiley:

Monty Python and the Holy Grail. Actually kind of likely if the broadway show is a big enough hit.

The Hobbit.

Perfect candidate: The Day of the Triffids. You could make a really good film of the book (or any of Wyndham’s novels) nowadays, and as a bonus, the first movie was so bad you won’t have anyone complaining about the remake.

You know that’s a video game right?
I don’t think it counts.