What, for you, is *the* defining band of your generation?

Oh God, I’ve a horrible feeling it might be Duran Duran.

We’ll save a prayer for you.

(I like Duran Duran)

My generation, in my particular subculture? Joy Division/New Order.

I missed out on the Beatle era. On, for instance, the excitement of Sgt. Pepper coming out and everyone on college campuses playing the LP at once.

In the mid-1980s, when I started college, there was obviously no band with an impact comparable to the Beatles. However, in terms of a band at that time that seemed ubiquitous, that seemingly nobody disliked, and that reached people on many different levels, I’d say it was REM.

My generation? Mashina, Fortis/Sakharov and unfortunately, Aviv Geffen.

Which is exactly the quality that made him the voice of Generation X.

Emotionally, I cannot answer, since as a teenager / young adult I was passionate about music that was made 20 - 30 years earlier, and hated most of the current stuff then. But academically / objectively, being 15 in 1992, I would have to say Nirvana.

I remember where I was and what I was doing on the day the Beatles broke up as clearly as I remember the same about 9/11.

The Beatles, by a long and winding country mile.

mmm

Canadian people my age do a lot of gushing over The Tragically Hip, I find.

add in social distortion bad religion and the pet shop boys who are timeless …(the joke is neil and chris cut a deal with a demon or something )

Probably U2, as I was a young teen when they hit it big, and we’ve both hobbled along together over the subsequent decades.

R.E.M., though, was my favorite band through college days and into my mid-20s…but U2 probably defined my generation’s era better.

I was born in 1978 and I’d say:

Nirvana

However, it is mainly that Kurt died, the band broke up, and they kind of became eternally iconic. Who knows if they would have stayed awesome?

Anyway, if not Nirvana, it’d be Pearl Jam or Alice in Chains, both bands still going even though Chains stopped for an extended time with Layne Staley dying.

If it doesn’t need to be a band… Elton John.

Beatles for me. Elvis for my older siblings.

Ge-Xer here, born in 1968. It’s a tie between Nirvana, R.E.M. and the Smiths. Nirvana definitely were the most influential, when “Nevermind” stormed the charts, they blew away the boring MOR/AOR of the time and popularized the whole Indie scene that had developed in the 80s. All those Indie bands suddenly got big record deals and began to dominate the charts for almost a decade. Of course I already had a musical past in 1991, and two of the giants on whose shoulders Nirvana stood were R.E.M. and the Smiths, which defined Rock of the 80s for me (though IMHO R.E.M. did their best work in the 90s).

I can’t really speak for “my generation”, because having been born in late '64, I’m on the dividing line between the Boomers and Gen X. And as such, I’ve sort of had one foot in each generation, never really feeling like I fully belonged in either.

I listened to a lot of Boomer rock growing up, and speaking for the generation, it would have to be the Beatles, hands down. No other band was as influential on the era. For me personally, I was always more of a Stones fan.

As for Gen X, again generationally speaking, I would have to say Nirvana. But personally, even though Cobain was just a few years younger than me, I never really got into their angsty teenagey vibe, being well into my late 20s to 30 by the time they got big. Grunge, or ‘Alt Rock’ in general for sure was the defining musical style of Gen X, and there was a lot of it I liked more than Nirvana, like Soundgarden or Pearl Jam-- Ten really blew me away from the first time I heard it.

I was a 1954 baby, so of course the Beatles.

Regarding the Red Hot Chili Peppers, I think of them more as the Hall and Oates of their generation, but maybe that’s just me, since I’m obviously from a different generation. But still I’d think Nirvana or Oasis or Green Day would all have better claims.

Ain’t nothing wrong with some Duran Duran! As much of a punchline that Rio is, the bass on that song slaps so hard.

For me, probably The Pixies.

The Beatles for white America of the 60s. Possibly James Brown for Black America, but others can speak to that.

I think generations in music are a different thing from Boomers/Gen X/Millennials/Gen Z. Those generations are about demographics, which is a whole different thing.

Like I said, I was born in 1954. My wife, like you, was born in late 1964. And she grew up on totally different music than I did, which makes sense because she started seventh grade after I graduated from college. She’s of a different generation, musically speaking, than I am, and that’s about nothing more than the passage of time, regardless of Boomers and Gen X and all that.

Given that “generation” is an artificial and sloppy construct, the Ramones and Flamin’ Groovies tend to define my kind of people at a particular point in time.