I feel like I can identify a major theme in the popular music of each decade of the latter half of the 20th century. It goes as follows:
50s: Rock and roll (a major revolution, but the music is less enduring than later stuff)
60s: Rock music proper, thanks largely to the Beatles. Timeless stuff here.
70s: Hard rock (most notably Led Zeppelin), later punk. Highly influential.
80s: New wave/electronic music. Hard to comment on the influence of this and later music.
90s: Grunge/alternative. Obviously Nirvana were the godfathers here (RIP Kurt!).
[As an attempt to deflect some flames, please note that I recognize that this is basically the history of pop music made by white guys. Particularly egregious is that while I know that these artists were deeply influenced by (read: ripped off) blues music, I don’t really know where to place the blues in this history.]
My question: what do you think will be the defining music of the current era? For me, the major breakthrough since Y2K has been the new Radiohead. I think Kid A represents a pretty significant muscial advance, though it’s harder (for me) to define exactly what that advance consists of compared to earlier advances. But aside from spawning some lightweight imitators (Coldplay), I don’t think Radiohead has had that much influence. Most of the rock music out there, even really good stuff, sounds pretty derivative of 90s alternative.
I’m guessing the answer might have to do with music that I have trouble relating to like Kanye West and the Black Eyed Peas (I’m probably choosing the dorkiest and lamest examples possible). If so I’d love to hear it, I really want to stay open to musical innovation.
Oh and I thought I should add, maybe it’s hard to see the definitive cultural trends of the era that you’re living in. But I was in college when Nirvana came out, and let me tell you, we all knew that something big was happening. I know my parents felt the same way about the Beatles and 60s music generally. So I don’t think that explains it entirely.