What foreign language sounds the most smooth and/or pleasant to you?

French and German.

Pacific (New Caledonian) French. Musical. Smooth. So unlike the other foreign languages I was familiar with at the time (German, Fore, Tok Pison), and also not like Greek or Italian. Even, perhaps, not the same as continental French.

Thank you. I haven’t made any recordings yet, but I’ve got the grammar and vocabulary well developed. When you conlang, the very first thing to set is the phonological system. I used the same 8 vowels as in Turkish. The Italian influence comes in with vowel allophony varying between tense and lax, depending on syllabic stress and open or closed syllables.

I love Turkish. And Hungarian. And Mongolian. Along with Finnish, they’re why I went for Ural-Altaic conlanging.

Cleveland used to have a radio “station of the nations” with all kinds of ethnic programming. I always tuned into the Hungarian program hosted by Kathy Kaposi, who spoke Hungarian in a gentle staccato rhythm that sounded like rain on the roof. I started learning Hungarian because I was playing so much Bartók on the piano, my favorite composer.

Turkish is notable for the mathematical symmetry of its harmonized eight-vowel system. Three parameters, binary values in each, 2[sup]3[/sup] = 8. I visualize them at the apices of a cube. Vowel harmony has a nice effect on the sound of a language and it’s found in most Uralic and Altaic languages.

Yeah, Turkish is another great choice, very easy on the ear.

When I was a kid, probably French. I also was enamored with the American southern accent. Now neither really does it for me. After living in Brazil I definitely picked up an appreciation for the language, so that might be number one now.

I find the sound of Amharic, the national language of Ethiopia, quite pleasant. It’s got a nice mix of smooth sounds with a staccato peppering of firm consonants. I’d like to actually learn it.

Oddly, I saw a movie with a young Catherine Deneuve and during the love scene, she keep whispering “Qui, qui!” and it didn’t strike me as sexy. This was Catherine Deneuve speaking French! Catherine Deneuve! :smiley:

For those younger than 30, in the 60’s and 70’s, Catherine Deneuve was the (insert name here current hottie) of her day X2!

Spanish / Italian

I love to hear Spanish and speak it decently well. Some of my fondest memories are conversing with my Guatemalan co workers back when I worked in landscaping.

Seconded.

(full disclosure: the love of my life is from Rio de Janeiro.)

You are correct that there are many flavors that have varying degrees of pleasantness, and a large number of folks would say that the Rio accent is the nicer one (kind of like how most Americans like British accents). I can’t speak for Continental Portuguese, but regions like São Paulo have a bit more of an edge to the words.

And the language is such a good fit for jazz.

I just want to add that I love the sound of Spanish almost as much as Italian, and I’m happy that the United States has gotten so bilingual with Spanish these days. I tune into Telemundo and Univision just to keep in practice. I think the xenophobes protesting the use of Spanish in this country are sadly misguided and they miss out on appreciation of that beautiful language. Mexican is the accent I generally align with; when I think of Spanish, I think of the Mexican version. Puerto Rican can sound nice and musical, if slightly odd, when spoken by women with mellifluous voices. Castilian to me sounds suitable for a college professor giving a lecture.

I once read a description of Catalan as having a soft and pleasant sound in contrast with the “church-bell” sonority of Castilian. It would be nice to learn Catalan too, along with its sister language, Occitan.

She whispered what :confused: ? Are you sure it wasn’t “Oui, oui !” Not very imaginative but a very common expression in such a situation. “Qui, qui !” is not only stupid, it could even be construed as insulting :dubious: .

I-talian and Spanish

Another vote for Brazilian Portuguese. All the harsh “s” peppering Spanish are … smudged? …so it sounds warmer and more relaxed to my ears.

I am a little surprised by all the people saying Spanish. It tends to grate on my ears.

I guess it is not exactly a foreign language, but an English or Irish accent is mega hot. I could listen to Elizabeth Henstridge talk to me all day.

Italian.

I was playing a video game where I kept running the same mission over and over. The game play was fine but the background conversation was driving me batty so I started playing with the language choices. Spanish, French, German, Dutch, Japanese, Chinese and one or two others… but settled on Italian as the most pleasant sounding background noise. Barely understood a word of it but it sounded pretty.

Italian

French.

A few years ago I was on the beach and a French couple next to me were talking. I put down my book and just listened to the flow of their speech. My gf returned from a swim and as she approached, the French woman started yelling at me in French. I just sat there. My gf (fluent in French) intervened.

Apparently, the woman was yelling at me for eavesdropping. My gf explained that I did not know a word of French. Turns out they were bilingual, so the woman apologized to me. I bought a round of drinks for us and all was good.

Even when she was yelling at me, though, it sounded nice.:slight_smile:

I’m surprised by all the people saying Finnish. It sounds so cold and emotionless/expressionless to me. I say that even though it’s my second language.
But I just listened to people reciting in reconstructed ancient Greek, and it sounds lovely. I may put Greek on my list of languages to learn next, after Japanese.
Agree with the poster who praised the way Jamaicans speak English. Jamaicans I’ve met have such music in their voices.