What goes with shiskebobs?

I have to bring a side dish or salad to a dinner tomorrow night. It is a “tropical” themed dinner and the main course is shishkebobs. I can’t bring rice because someone else already is, and I don’t want to do fruit salad because that’s too much like dessert and someone else is already doing dessert. They’re doing beef & chicken, tomatos, onions, peppers and pineapple.

So, in your opinion, what goes with shiskebobs? What do you think I should bring?

Hummus would be good.

Rolls?

If it were me, it would be beer.

In Croatia you could have potato(e)s, sauerkraut, or maybe something like corn. Sorry, it’s been a while since I’ve had it there, and it’s called cevapcici, too. (cheh-vahp-chee-chee)

IANAGC (I am not a gourmet chef), but a regular garden salad should work nicely, IMHO.

Hmm…the problem is that I have to make this tonight and bring tomorrow.

What’s in hummus? Is it easy to make (or could I buy?) Same deal with this cevapicici.
Bread would be really easy, though. I could make some kind of a flavored butter or something to go with.

Oh, and don’t worry–beer and tropical drinks will abound. So will plastic leis and aloha shirts.

What about a cold bean salad? There’s also coleslaw.

Ooh! I just remembered!

Tomatoes and Basil Dish:
4-5 large ripe tomatoes, sliced (about 1/4" thick)
1 sweet onion (red or vidalia), ring sliced
feta cheese (1 package)
fresh basil leaves, chopped

Arrange the tomato slices flat on a platter, covering as much as possible. Assemble one layer of sliced onions on top (pretty thinly, you don’t want too many raw onions). Crumble feta cheese on top. Heavily garnish tomatoes with basil.

You could drizzle some balsamic vinegar on top, if you desire.

I know that they’re putting tomatoes in the shishkebob, but tomatoes usually get pretty messy that way, and stay in the bowl. This is a great summer dish, and you shouldn’t skimp on getting the best tomatoes you can find.

Why not some corn on the cob that you can season, butter and wrap in foil with a little bit of water. Put that on the grill and steam/grill it.

pot stickers! these are great little asian numbers, easy to fix (just boil and brown), readily available (i get big ole bags at Costco) and a big hit with everyone! they are little pork/chicken/veg/whatever dumpling things, kinda like dim-sum.

first choice is beer, however.

Another idea: Chicken Kelaguen

Here is a link:http://www.offisland.com/recipe/rec4.html

Or cucumber salad: Mix equal parts soy sauce and rice vinegar, add sliced cucumbers and black pepper to taste. YUM!

Tropical?

Poi! Poi and Spam! (well, I hear Spam goes good with poi. Not that I’m clear about what poi is exactly.)
Anyway hummus is basically chickpeas, tahini, olive oil, lemon juce and garlic (with some variations). It’s not hard to make if you know where to get tahini. If not, many stores have it in with the expensive cheese. It’s not tropical but it’s eaten many places they eat shiskebob. Serve with pita bread.

Bah, you can skip tahini and throw in some sesame seeds-- or skip them all together!

Take a can of chick peas (say, 14 oz) and blend it. Toss in a clove or 3 of garlic, about 1 TBsp lemon juce, and enough oil to give it a nice consistency.

You can get fanciful and add some cumin, or sundried tomatoes, or…

Hmm… Hummus.

Hummus is your best bet. It’s very easy to make, tastey and matches the theme. Bring some toasted pita bread to use for dipping.

Haj