What happens if you put the worlds most stickiest thing on the worlds least stickiest

As per title.

My guess is, it will stick to your hands.

Superglue on Teflon?

Spilled sugary soft drink residue on ice?

You get a two-seater jam-powered frog. At least, that’s what Tom got in A Near Thing for Captain Najork.

Super glue won’t stick to Teflon, in fact you can get Teflon tubing as a non-clogging tip to dispense cyanoacrylate adhesive.

The super-high-adhesion and the super-high-resistance-to-adhesion cancel out, and you get mild adhesion. Like sticky notes.

“Irresistable force meets immovable object” it’s not.

Cool, where do you find this? I hate those little, almost one use tubes.

Like if The Juggernaut ran full tilt at The Blob? :stuck_out_tongue:

I’m not sure that “world’s stickiest thing” and “world’s slipperiest thing” are well-defined. Every adhesive will stick better to some things than to others, and every lubricant will slip on some things better than others. So, for instance, even though cyanoacrylate won’t stick to teflon, there are other things which will stick to teflon. Are those other things, by virtue of that fact, stickier than cyanoacrylates? No, because they won’t stick to some other things as well.

You can get them at most good hobby shops, the ones we use are these, but the associated bottle tips are designed to be used with pretty large bottles of CA. Might not be much help unless you go through a lot of glue (we do). I think it’s also used in medical applications, but we found it easier to come by through hobby outlets.

The ones the glue usually come in are made of polyethylene. Cyanoacrylate glues don’t stick very well to that, either. If you store them nozzle end up, like you’re supposed to and keep the pin-top in, it won’t clog.

There really aren’t. In order to stick Teflon to something (or something to Teflon) you have to do something to mechanically create a bonding surface, such as etching the mounting surface of the Teflon, or dissolving it with a solvent. There aren’t any adhesives I’m aware of which can effectively bond Teflon.

I hope that was not intended to be as negative as it sounds, I am guessing you do not have kids or a wife to fail to store the super glue properly? Or perhaps you have never noticed the cheap tubes will sometimes clog beyond hope after one use, even when stored properly?

I tend to buy the Crazy glue with the stand to prevent the tubes from being one use, but I still find the glue knocked over and now useless. If it really does not stick to Teflon this is something that was not obvious and that I just learned today.

Jim

If you are repeatedly applying glue, eventually it will start to build up on the outside and inside of the tip. The pin helps to keep if from clogging, but the contamination from touching the surface and inserting the pin will eventually lead to a clog. The Teflon tube will clog, too, but it takes a lot longer for it to manifest and is easily remedied by just snipping off the end of the tube. If you only use a drop of glue every once in a while, your method is fine. If you are using the glue a lot (several ounces a day), it’s hard to keep it flowing by jabbing a pin in the nozzle.

It was a purely matter-of-fact statement. Any perceived negativity is entirely of your own creation.

Ok cool. Thank you.

I dunno, I would consider partially dissolving one surface to be a perfectly valid method of adhesion.

Sure, but in this case, it’s the the first step–really it’s just surface preparation. Really, bonding Teflon is a complex process and I don’t pretend to understand all of it, but it’s not as simple as applying a solvent and slapping your Teflon on the surface you want to bond it to. Now, if you want to bond Teflon to Teflon it’s a little easier, since it’s a thermoplastic, so you just need enough heat and some pressure.

Well, for putting Teflon coating onto something, it actually is pretty much as simple as spraying the liquid mother-of-teflon onto your object, then baking it.

Did anyone ever try cutting a piece of the back off their supposedly useless…but only “clogged” little tubes of super glue?–actually, you could just poke the side of the body of the tube for each application–and it would seal itself up each time. I know you don’t get the “accuracy” of the tip, but you do get just the little dribble required for its use!