What is a "meta person"?

What’s a “meta person”? I don’t understand that term, although I know “meta” means “itself”.

What does it mean exactly? I heard it here: Lecture: 2017 Maps of Meaning 01: Context and Background - YouTube

(It’s at the correct time).

Not really. I’d say “meta” means something like “beyond” or “outside” or “a level above.”

Urban dictionary defines it as “about the thing itself. It’s seeing the thing from a higher perspective instead of from within the thing,” which isn’t a bad definition and may be along the lines of how the speaker you linked to is using the term.

Merriam-Webster defines it as “more comprehensive : transcending—usually used with the name of a discipline to designate a new but related discipline designed to deal critically with the original one.”

It’s a person who is above himself. We all know guys like this.

Just guys?!?

It’s a Jordan Peterson lecture. It means what JP wants it to mean. I listened to about 3 minutes of it, and I gather the “meta-person” is a symbol of all the people who will judge you in your life: Parents, teachers, bosses, etc. I also learned that nature is female and culture is male. News you can use!

You will be receiving a bill for 3 minutes of life. Please pay promptly.

I’m guessing someone who is over-the-top philosophical, or maybe someone who has valid thoughts but conveys them in a way that sounds needlessly complex.

Sounds like at least a distant relative of Freud’s super-ego (Über-Ich).

Well if you know any metawomen … they’re a good bit rarer. Last one I met was at a graduate lecture of Fredric Jameson’s. Centuries ago.

I’m So Meta, Even This Acronym

:slight_smile:

Meta can i think be used in different senses depending on the context - some of those senses sticking strictly to the origin of the word, some less so. If you look at older words such as “metaphor” and “metastasis”, you can perhaps see more clearly than if you look at more modern ones.

I never meta-person I didn’t like.

nm

They’re people who received superpowers as a result of a particle accelerator explosion.

Uncle Sam?

I have to admit, I’m getting meta, a little meta all the time (can’t get no worse).

Someone who is very interested in World Peace

What sort of superpowers would MetaMan have? No boring lectures unless he gets the Lovelace/Babbage* power of pulling down a screen for showing presentations no matter where he is.

• example can be found in the webcomic, here. Screen power usage is near the bottom. (The first bad pun is in the third panel.)

This index for the comics is here: http://sydneypadua.com/2dgoggles/comics/ Sadly, it’s no longer being updated.

Wouldn’t MetaMan just be Deadpool, or any other character determined to break the fourth wall?

Metaman could be one who shows up in unexpected stories or universes, as if he belongs.

Or he could cause current events to also happen in other universes at the same time…
Or something. :slight_smile: