What is extremely common in TV or movies but almost never happens in real life?

And the sword being pulled free of the leather scabbard makes a metal-on-metal sound.

Even as a little kid I thought “Wait a minute, if there’s really metal inside that ‘sword holster’ (too young to have much of a ‘weaponry vocabulary’), it’d be dulling the edges of the sword…”

(I was also too young to consider that they could dub in that sound after they shot the scene. I just assumed everything was ‘live’.)

Some sword scabbards have a small bit of metal at the throat, called a “Chape” and yes, that is usually of softer metal.

I got the disk from Netflix a while back. It didn’t age well.

I do have the Red Phone as my ringtone, though.

Because there’s no room on the sidewalk for the camera dolly, duh.

And speaking of car chases, why do cars parked at the side of the street always seem to be right in front of a ramp that makes the car in the street roll over?

Same as when a train is running, with no level crossings in sight, and it sounds its whistle. And every time a cat is shown, you hear a “Mrowr!”

It’s obviously a train. And it’s obviously a cat. We don’t need the unnecessary sounds, especially since neither the train nor the cat would make them, in the displayed circumstances.

What if blind people are watching?

Well, to be fair, getting shot or stabbed doesn’t always mean serious injury. And getting into a lives-at-stake fight, people in real life too sometimes exhibit astonishing strength and stamina, injuries be damned, for a while.

Oh, that reminds me – every time you see a rat in a movie or TV show, it will be squeaking. Rats only squeak when they are in pain, or sometimes when they fight. If a rat is walking along and squeaking, something is seriously wrong with it.

The latest talk in the Star Trek Picard Season 3 discussion thread is complaints about how dark many of the scenes are, which got me to thinking about other shows (such as every iteration of CSI) in which the lab / working areas are always dim, lit only with a couple colored gels, like nightclub lighting. Not banks of fluorescent lighting that banish every shadow.

Those CSI type shows used to drape the characters in shadows from Venetian blinds regardless of windows. The half-lighting they use now in some of those procedurals shows for “dramatic effect” is laughable. I saw one where (pretty sure it was supposed to be day time) half the characters’ faces were completely obscured with shadow, like the place was lit by candles. They even have deep shadows in operating rooms! I guess if all scenes were lighted realistically, everything would look like a sit com, not that they’re much better.

The ‘chape’ is usually at the other end of the scabbard. The bit of metal at the throat is generally called a ‘mouth’ or mouth fitting. There is sometimes another bit halfway along with a loop to hang the scabbard from. In short, there’s quite a lot of metal in some scabbards.

But if they are outside at “night,” you can see everything.

Speaking of CSI Las Vegas: I think I wore some type of warm outer garment about 5 times in the 3 years I was stationed there.

In a similar vein, every single soaring bird cries like a red-tailed hawk, especially eagles.

Leeches make excellent bass bait. I have pictures of my daughter playing with them when I took her out fishing at 6 years of age. She is grossed out today just looking at the pictures.

I saw what you did there. Or what I hope you knew you were doing. I grinned.

People who are blind or visually impaired do commonly watch movies - and generally use the same verb. A lot of movies are now more accessible with audio descriptions.

(Not that anyone would advocate that in movies cats should always meow and trains should always toot their horn for that reason - that part was tongue in cheek.)

LOL! :laughing:

Yep, got it backwards. Or the Throat.

I remember an episode where Cricket (Connie Stevens) did brown face to pass as a native. !!?!! I liked the show as a kid, but it’s gotta be way cheesy. I don’t think it was a spin-off of 77 Sunset Strip. It was just made by the same production company. Speaking of which, whenever the number 77 came up in class during elementary school, most of the kids would automatically snap their fingers twice and say “Sun Set Strip.” It was fun looking for their non-existent office when driving on Sunset.

Serpentine, Shelly!

And my addition: when someone is cooking at home, they often have a stalk of celery for no reason that they take a chomp out of to emphasize a line. I’ve seen this tons of times, but just saw it yesterday in an old Gidget show. We were watching for the clothes and hair styles. A real trip down memory lane.

How many times can you sheath/ unsheath a quality sword before it starts eating its scabbard?

Oh. I didn’t know they used the same verb. And I probably should have known, being a deaf person who is entirely dependent on subtitles.