What is first decade of 21st century called?

I have proposed “The g00gles” several times but nobody else has taken up the banner to date.

Nobody respects my “2K’s”, even though we started the decade with the Y2K scare.

How about one big effing mess?

If there was ever possible to take a mulligan, the first decade of the 21st century would be it. That’s sad considering how well the 20th century was ending: Democracy taking root in Eastern Europe, the U.S. taking a peace dividend and reducing military spending, the federal budget was being balanced, there was full employment, and the President was getting some. (Unfortunately, we all had to hear about it in detail, but not everything can be perfect).

“Two thousands” works fine for me. I’ve used it quite a few times, and never been misunderstood, as far as I know. Works best when the conversational (or textual, in which case “2000s”) context is appropriate to decade-talk.

I wouldn’t use “early 2000s”, as someone suggested, because this suggests “2000-2005,” I would say.

I was reviewing my old posts the other day, and I see that on at least three occasions I said that we would wait until the teens, and then start calling it the “turn of the century”. This is pretty much what we did last time.

The first decade of the 21st century has no common name. Oh, there have been attempts to give it one but none of them have really caught on. I wouldn’t sweat it though. The second decade too has no name and it won’t be until we reach 2020 that we’ll have familiar decade terms again.

Precisely the same thing occurred for the first two decades of the 20th century.

I call it the 2000’s. To me, since we’re only in 2012, then of course it refers to only the decade and not the entire thousand year period from 2000-2999.

As I understand it, 1901-1910 was collectively called “Turn of the Century.” So 2001-2010 can be collectively called “The Millennium.” Purists won’t like it, but it sure sounds better than any alternative.

Not sure I get the parallel here. Perhaps you meant to write “turn of the millenium”? 'Cause it sure as heck ain’t no millenium.

I’d also say the “two thousands.” From context, it should be clear if you mean the first decade, or the entire century.

Yeah, this is what I was thinking. (Fooey on you, Leaf.)

Anyway, I have my own suggestion. I’m sure it will take off across the US and then the world. Let’s call them the OOgles! It’smore dignified than the Noughties and shows we’re not all bawdy. Well, okay, maybe not dignified exactly.

cough…post #21…cough

Bumped.

Just saw this about a third of the way down in this article - the first time I’ve seen the phrase used other than in a discussion of what to call the decade: “Since the mid-noughties, any non-US citizen who travels to the United States gets their picture taken and fingerprints scanned on arrival.”

The Double Ohs?

How about the 0-ties [pronounced oh-tees]…?