What is MS Word doing with my AutoCorrect???

I use Auto Correct at work. A lot. I have often had a problem with it randomly resetting itself at times, so that I lose all the additions I’ve made to it. In the past this happened maybe once every 2-3 months. They’ve just upgraded me to Windows XP and whatever the newest version of Word is that comes with it, and now it’s happening 2-3 times a day. Does anybody know why this happens and what I can do to prevent it? Our IT department is baffled and the web has been no help.

Do you use a shared copy of Word up on the server somewhere, or do you use a shared network folder for your templates? If so, then you are sharing your copy of normal.dot, which is what stores these settings. Try this:

From Word, go into Tools | Options | File Locations, and make sure your User Templates are pointing to your local machine and not somewhere out on the network.

If that doesn’t work, try this:

goto the Registry (Start | Run, type “regedit”)and search for:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\9.0\Word\Data

Select the Data folder, then goto Edit | Rename, rename the folder something like “XXXData”

Quit the Registry and restart Word.

NOTE: Try not to touch anything else in the Registry - it can really hose you to start changing or deleting things in there.

Hope this helps…

Yes, templates are in my local machine.

As for this Registry procedure, what exactly is the result supposed to be? I’m a little reluctant to mess with it unless I know for sure …

thanks.

Aw come on, someone has to know what’s going on …

Did you try deleting your normal.dot file and trying again?

The Regsitry procedure is a more sever way to prevent Word from reverting to an older normal.dot default, which would reset your Autocorrect every time.