What is the most "transgressive" food you've eaten?

How about a transgressive drink?

Spending the evening at our friends, J and C, we got around to drinking whisky. J doesn’t drink and C is purely a social drinker, so doesn’t drink much at home; as a result they don’t get through whisky fast, but they have a fair few bottles in the cupboard. I was handed an unopened bottle of Haig and tasked with opening it.

First off, there was a heavy foil overcap, which was unusual; and underneath that a style of cap I had never seen before, which I had to guess my way to opening. Turns out this is a “spring cap”, which was something Haig used in the middle years of the last century. The bottle - which J later worked out must have originally been her father’s - was not only a historical artifact, it was virtually an heirloom. To make matters more intimidating, these are collectors’ items that change hands for hundreds of dollars

Thankfully we didn’t find out about the true extent of transgression until some time afterwards, when Mrs T’s research placed it in the 1960’s. For those who are interested, 60 years ago Haig went for a very grainy taste with virtually no peaty notes and no hint of smokiness.

As for rabbit - I eat it any time I can find it - yum! In Malta it’s a very common dish. I once ate jugged hare in Parma, Italy. It was very nice, but the “porridge” that it was served with (the restaurant’s translation of the Italian) gave me awful indigestion.

j