What is the name for this kind of eighteenth-century hat?

Here is the hat I’m talking about. It is worn by Lord Bullingdon in Barry Lyndon, which is set sometime in the late 1700s. I almost want to call it a cowboy hat, and if it was shown out of the context of that movie - all by itself - I imagine most people not possessing specialized knowledge about hats would also call it that. But obviously 18th-century Englishmen would not have called it that. So what did they call it? Is there an official name for that specific style of hat?

ETA - while I’m at it, I might as well also ask, what is the name of that font in the picture? I have seen it many times before.

I can’t access your link, but if the hat you’re talking about is what’s shown in this picture, it’s a tricorne or three-cornered hat.

That’s not what it is. Most of the characters in Barry Lyndon wear the tricorne, which is pretty well known in popular culture from the Revolutionary War era. However, Bullingdon’s hat is something else entirely. If the link I posted doesn’t work for you, try this one.


Don’t know about the hat, but that font has an art nouveau look to it, similar to the one called Bocklin on this page: http://www.fontspace.com/category/art+nouveau .

BTW Kimstu - paste the URL into the address bar instead of clicking on it.

Oh I see, thanks Manduck. That hat appears to be the same as the sportsman’s hat shown in these woodcuts. I think it was just called a “round hat”: see Illustration 82c at this site, which is described as a “round hat with hatband and buckle”.

Yes, it’s a basic round hat; if authentic, it would be made of beaver felt, shaped on a round hatblock, then stretched to an oval, resulting in the rolled brim (familiar in many types of hats of the period).

Looks like a turn-brimmed capotaine to me.