What is your death philosophy?

Mine is fairly simple. I’ll be dead. So I won’t be alive to experience it. One must be alive to function and be an observer of things. I believe life is mostly suffering and death is the end of suffering. I am evolutionarily incapable of contemplating the idea of “what does being dead feel like”. One who is dead cannot feel. One who is alive cannot contemplate the concept of a temporary existence. That doesn’t mean to say that one who is alive is not subject to a temporary existence.

Same as my life philosophy.

Wouldn’t that make it impossible to contemplate the question “what is your death philosophy?”

I’ve gotten my money’s worth out of life. I’d love to stick around as long as I’m healthy and able to take care of myself, but I’m pretty much good to go. My only fear is a long lingering death. If I’m diagnosed with Alzheimer’s or if one of those pesky melanoma cells makes it past my epidermis, I have contingency plans.

Not to an immortal.

I believe in the Epicurean notion that death = absence of sensation and hence not something to dread in itself. Certainly an untimely death can inconvenience one’s survivors to varying degrees and should be avoided wherever possible. Life and its sensations can be quite pleasant, but when that goes awry, well, there’s the dreadful.

When I am dead I won’t have to worry about how stupid an idea this is (referring to whatever situation it is that kills me).

What did Woody Allen say? “I’m not afraid of dying, I just don’t want to be there when it happens”
Pretty much sums it up for me.

You’re going to be dead most of you life, have some fun before you go.

I’m with the “when you’re dead, you’re dead” crowd, but I do fear dying without having accomplished something that will leave a little bit of me behind when I’m gone.

I mean, besides the bloody streak behind the bus that’s going to hit me.

I share the philosophy of the 19th century German Philosopher Arthur Schopenhauer, as he expressed in his essay “On The Sufferings of the World”

I will never die. I cannot die. I’ve been around forever and I’m probably one of those unkillable immortals. I plan to be reincarnated as a sea otter, or maybe a large cockroach.

Yep, this is me.

This is not. Life is pretty great, all things considered.

It’s over. I’ll be dead. Hopefully I’ll have done everything that I want; it would be OK to be still alive and have nothing I want to do.

I believe that this life is only temporary, and that after I leave it, I’ll ascend to a higher plane of existence.

Fuck death.

Amusing juxtaposition between your fuck-it attitude and your sig, dude. :slight_smile:

I’m with Wolverine on this: it’ll happen to me one day whether I want it to or not.

I like general anesthesia because I absolutely cease to exist while I’m under. I figure that’s what death is like. I’m cool with it. There are a hell of a lot of worse things than not existing, and I’ve experienced enough of them that death will not be unwelcome. In the meantime, I’m glad to have Earth to live on.

So I’m not the only one…

Do we have to try to decapitate each other now?

I want to come back as a kitty cat.