What is your dream job?

Food and wine critic.

I cant imagine anything finer than being paid to eat and drink and then tell about it!!

Restaurant reviewer would be one of my choices, too. But I’d really love to be the librarian in charge of collection development at a well-funded public library in a mid-sized, relatively progressive city or college town. Calling all the shots, deciding what books, DVDs, CDs, and electronic materials to spend the budget on, meeting the needs of my community and sneaking a few of my own interests in there, even fighting a little ignorance… that is my career goal right now.

I’m pretty much doing it now, working in radio. There’s a very short list of other things I’d jump at the opportunity to do, but tops would be to restore vintage recordings for record labels, or the Smithsonian, or both.

I’ve got mine: teaching AP Language and Composition (rhetoric & non-fiction) & AP Economics and coaching Academic Decathlon in a school where they more or less give me my head and let me do it the way I want. It’s just about perfect.

Hey, that was mine! When I saw the thread title, my first thought was “Broadway Diva.” Maybe we can be dueling divas. :wink:

I’d give anything to work in mouse/rat trangenic work and strain development. (I am a huge rodent nerd. Yah hear that Jackson Laboratories?)

Other options: Writing monster manuals for RPG’s and/or history books. Owning a small book store.

I would like to read slush piles at home. Baen has a few volunteer ebook slush readers, but I would rather get paid for it. I woudl prefer fantasy and SF, but anything except sports and romances would be fine. Biographies would be interesting, history would be good as well =)

Alternately, telecommute to alpha and closed beta test MMORPGs, and get paid for it. I’d even work minimum wage and no benefits for that [mrAru slaved 20 years in the galleys for Uncle Sam so I could have tricare for life so I don’t need benes :slight_smile: ]

Food critic would be nice, but being diabetic would be a problem, unless it was to travel and write specifically for the food challenged so they could go out and know what they could look forward to in different cities. You know, travelogs for diabetic might actually be a valid niche seeing how prevalent type 2 diabetes is becomming!

Six years ago, I got part I of my dream job: I bought a bookstore.

Four years ago, I got part II: Actually making a living as a freelance writer.

Now, if I can just hit the bestseller lists and take the bookstore up one more notch so I can pull a decent salary out of it…

Archivist for a historical society or university. (I just got my MLS! I’m fully qualified! Someone hire me? Please?)

Novelist.

Successful screenwriter. Funny thing is, I have no desire to write a commercial, Hollywood feature.

I wouldn’t mind accepting an Oscar though, considering I have the speech already prepared.

And contrary to popular practice, I don’t have any desire to direct though.

Well, I’m an alto/bass and a character actress - you can have the soprano/ingenue roles. Deal?

I love you.

A job where I can travel frequently (once or twice per month).

I’d love to be a model but I’m too short.

or…

I’d want Samantha Brown’s job.

Works for me. :smiley:

When did you graduate, how long have you been job hunting, and where exactly are you located? I’ll earn my MLS this May ('08), and while I hope to stay in Florida, I’ve been told that we have to be willing to relocate anywhere for work.

I’d love to write the story bibles for video game concepts. Or be a neurosurgeon or NICU/PICU/Pediatric Oncology nurse. Perhaps a personal trainer. An ambassador to the country of my choice, with the option to move whenever I like to whatever country I desire would be great. Director of the Smithsonian sounds like fun, too. There are any number of things I’d love doing. The problem is, I never feel like I can focus on loving one without worrying about missing out on all the others.

Librarian

Museum employee.

Own my own comics/gaming store.

Did you see the movie A Night at the Museum? Dream job? Sounds more like a nightmare.

Host of my own children’s television show The Laboratory Of Proffessor Von Fun. I wear a labcoat and makeup, tell stories, teach science and have the time of my life.