What is your mood when you wake up in the morning?

All things being equal, I mean. And I’m not talking about having to go to a job you hate or you’re living on death row or something. Or dealing with one of life’s many actual tragedies. I mean just under ordinary circumstances.

I mean, are you one of those people who wakes up with a smile and a song on your lips in a “Oh boy! Another great day ahead of me!” state? Or does even an average good day stretch before you like a sun-baked desert of broken glass that you must walk across before you’re allowed to crawl back in bed at its conclusion and turn out the lights?

Whichever one you are, what do you attribute it to? Do you fight it or accept that you are this way?

I tend toward the latter, even though my life is not only okay, but pretty enviable. I always wanted to be one of the bright-eyed-bushy-tailed ones but never have been. Don’t know how to get there.

Depends entirely on how much sleep I’ve had and how well I slept.

I’m going to be boring and admit that I’m an in-betweener. I don’t have a regular sleeping routine, and some days I drag more than others. Most of the time I don’t really WANT to get out of bed, but it almost never takes me more than a few minutes to get myself around and feeling normal. I’m not very chatty first thing, but I’m seldom in an unpleasant mood. My SO, on the other hand, is very moody when he wakes up. Oy. Yes indeed.

I generally wake up in a good mood. Sometimes, if I’ve not had a lot of sleep, all I can think of is bedtime, but I’m never in a bad mood when I wake.

Cranky and irritable, until I get dressed and get some caffeine into me. Then I feel OK.

I want to kill myself for the first 5 minutes I am out of bed. It is a true struggle, a philosophical battle every goddamn morning not to end it in those first five minutes so that I can snuggle back in to the warm sweet cradle of everlasting sleep. The big sleep. But after a few minutes, I’m over it.

I’m always just a little bit annoyed when I first wake up. I think it’s the idea of moving that annoys me. Once I am actually up, I’m generally in a good mood.

“Automaton” is the best way to describe it. My mood doesn’t kick in until I get to work.

Determined.

I am not a morning person. But it isn’t as bad as it was. I get up and get around OK, but all things being equal I’d rather be left alone.

Oh, yes…

I’m fine as long as I wake up on my own or my own alarm clock that I set to wake me at a particular planned time. If someone else wakes me, or noise from outside, or the damn cat licking my nose before I planned to be up, I’ll likely come up swinging and be grumpy for at least an hour.

“I’m sorry, but Ethilrist can’t take your call right now. All our posters are busy handling other calls. Please try again later.”

It depends entirely on whether or not it’s a work day. Monday-Friday, I slam my snooze button as long as possible (longer, usually), drag myself in a grumbly fashion down the hall to the bathroom, and fatiguedly/grudgingly start getting ready for the day with a dark cloud over my face. On weekends or holidays/days off, I wake up cheerily because my time is my own. I can put off the shower 'til later (because I don’t really like showering first thing in the morning, I just have to on work days because of my hair). I’ll happily grab a soda or make some delicious homemade iced coffee and log onto the computer, and take a shower when I feel more wakey-wakey.

I am unhappy in this job, yes, but it’s not just that. If I wake up feeling sleepy or headachy or too hot/cold on a weekend, I can just roll over, get comfortable again, and wake back up feeling better a bit later. On a weekday, if I have a crappy wakeup, I’m stuck with it! And that ruins my day. >:I Also I tend to stay up too late on weeknights, so I get progressively tireder (and thus, crankier) as the week goes on. By Friday, I’m about 6 inches away from turning into mama grizzly at the slightest provocation (before noon, anyway).

I’m a morning person, so I wake up ready to take on the day. My husband is the opposite. He hates mornings. I have no idea how we’ve managed to stay together.

I’m a zombie. I’m a night owl, so I hate mornings. I generally snap at anyone who tries to talk to me. After I eat, the I’m back to being a human being.

My default mood is grumpy, tending towards irritable. It’s even more noticeable when I first wake up. I have, on a few occasions, awakened well rested and glad to face life.

I used to sleep late and work nights. I liked it because I hated mornings! I was a born night owl according to my mother, then suddenly I hit a certain age and - BAM- no more.

So now I wake up, ‘a little cheesed off,’ or, ‘a lot cheesed off’, depending on the time. If it’s before 6am, I’m more cheesed. Less so after 6.

The other day I slept till 8:30 and awoke mightily impressed with myself. I have no idea what that’s all about, to be honest, but I felt like I’d achieved something awesome.

I used to routinely stay up till 4am, now I’m lucky if I see Jon Stewart at 11pm. It’s disturbing to see such a sudden change, in what seemed like such a core part of who I was/am. It’s down right disheartening to be told, when you share, that it’s all part of aging. Piss off!

I vary between emotionless, grumpy, or actively depressed, depending on how much sleep I’ve gotten, how many times I got to hit the snooze button, and what the weather is like. It is a rare and freaky feeling to actually wake happy, but it has happened.

Most common would be emotionless - it takes more energy to make emotions than I have on most mornings.

Along with most of the rest of the world, I’ve little doubt. Happily, extremists are usually the exception, not the rule.

I lean a little to the latter (not a morning person) but not morbidly so.