What is your Pet - Peeve?

We all have something that makes us see red. I have two:

First
Drivers who leave their signal lights on. Can’t they see the blinking light on the dash? Nothing pisses me off more than a car who IS NOT turning but is showing a sign that they are.

and, second
My husband’s inability to put the cap back on the toothpaste. Is it really asking to much to re-cap the tube? After a while the cap gets lost and then the end of the tube gums up and hardens. YUCK. Also, why must the water be running when brushing one’s teeth?

Ok, I’m done.

Oooh, bad topic for someone in the middle of PMS. You asked!

1. People who call me on the phone and don’t know why they called. “Uh… may I speak to… uh…” “I had a question about… um… lemme see…”

I’m about to kick your ass, sonny-boy!

1. People who will not let me merge onto the highway.

2. People who stop at merge signs.

3. People who merge at yield signs.

::breathing deeply, trying to remember the good things in life::

P.S.

My husband says, “They’re driving around the world to the right (or left).”

By the way, haven’t you ever done this yourself? Had the radio up a bit to loud and suddenly realized that your blinker was still on? It happens.

Men are from Mars, women are from Venus, dogs are from Pluto. - Anonymous

• Idiots who stand near my desk and have long, loud discussions. You have OFFICES people, go there!

• People who wait for me to get off the phone, at my desk, and listen in on the conversation. Do I come into YOUR office, sit down, and wait for you while you talk to YOUR wife? Leave a note fool - I’ll call you when I’m done.

• People who ask to have something done telling me “whenever you have the time - no rush” then ask me repeatedly, on the hour, if it’s done yet.

Yes, I’m having a bad day.

It curls my toes every time some one who should know better - such as a public speaker, broadcaster, script writer, etc. - abuses or misuses the language in some way. Pronouncing words or phrases incorrectly, altering the definition of a word…for instance using totally when they mean completely…saying that they could care less when they could’t…ax-ing about something when they should say ask…that kind of thing. Argh <shudder>.

It’s incredible how many people are irritated by the same things. It would seem to me those types of behaviour would just die out of their own accord since they seem to annoy everyone.

“The problem with the world is that everyone is a few drinks behind.” - Humphrey Bogart

Like, totally, UncleBeer!

These drive me up the wall:

1. When someone, trying to show complete and utter disinterest in something, states that they “could care less.” No, you COULDN’T care less. If you could care less, that means you care.

2. Mothballs, on principle.

3. Drivers who rush to turn in front of you so you have to slam on your brakes and then drive 30 mph. They should be summarily executed.

People who spell “its” as “it’s”.

There’s an easy mnemonic, you idiots!

Its is spelled it’s when it’s it is, and its when it’s not.

Now how hard is that?

There is a shopping mall in my neighbourhood (Irvine Spectrum in Irvine, Orange County, California, USA) where they have the misspelling engraved in the ground at the entrance to the mall!

#$%R^&%**&(^

J’ai assez vécu pour voir que différence engendre haine.
Henri B. Stendhal

Like your mnemonic, Winkelreid; I shall try it on some of my authors (I’m a copy editor.)

Here’s perhaps the most inconsequential peeve of them all: Having a sweet tooth, I often order dessert when I go out to dinner. I’m occasionally the only one at the table to order it, but that doesn’t bother me; going out is supposed to be a treat.

Well, these days when waiters bring my dessert, they often bring spoons or forks for the whole table. I hate that! First, if my compantions wanted dessert, they’d have ordered it. Second, this dessert is mine, and I can decide without the help of the waitstaff if I want to share. Third, the extra silver makes me feel like a pig if you eat the whole thing myself. Whoever decided this was a cute practice was an idiot.

Catrandom

Proofreading! That’s what I forgot to do this morning!

Sorry, all, especially Arnold ;(

Catrandom, who should not type with the keyboard balanced on the cat (and I’m not kidding)

Here, here, Yankee Blue! I was at a Senate committee hearing yesterday, and a Senator (a United States Senator, fer cryin’ out loud!) misused infer to mean imply. As in, “Are you inferring that my integrity is…” Sigh.

Arnold, I’ll see your shopping mall and raise you a Civilian Conservation Corps project. Red Rocks amphitheater in Colorado, which was built by the CCC, has a forged-in-steel, mounted-in-rock memorial to the CCC. “For more than ten years,” the sign reads, “it’s mission was to…” or something to that effect.
Besides language manglings of all sorts, my biggest pet peeve is people who are so self-absorbed that their little universe extends about two inches beyond their noses. They blithely float through life with nary a thought for others. They are the stars of their own grand epic, and if they happen to notice others, it’s only to consider how unimportant and inconsequential they are.

Like the dipshit driving past my apartment at 2 a.m. with a stereo system that cost more than his car. From two blocks away, I can still hear his rattling windows and the incessant ‘Boom, boomboom, BOOM, boom.’

Or the grammas who drive 45 mph in the left lane.

Or the fools who stand on the left side of an escalator. They’re just like a highway, folks! If you’re on the left, move fast!

Or the asshole who hawks a fat loogy on the sidewalk and strides on.

Or the inconsiderate asses who stand half a foot from an open doorway and smoke. “But we’re outside,” the snotty looks on their impudent faces seem to say. Same goes for smokers who lazily stroll past outdoor cafes, blowing their noxious fumes my way.

Or the obnoxious idiots who have noisy conversations outside my apartment door while waiting for the elevator.

Or… well, that’s the gist. People who can’t spare a moment’s consideration for others. I’m not bitter. Really. I’m too young to be bitter.

~ Complacency is far more dangerous than outrage ~

I totally agree.

1. People reading the newspaper over my shoulder at work. Spend the damn $.35 and get your own.

2. People who sing the wrong lyrics to songs

3. People who screw up a good quote from a movie

4. Watching movies with people who’ve already seen it who keep telling you “oh, this part’s funny” or “hey, watch this” before something happens.

5. The Backstreet Boys

Ty Webb: I like you Betty.
Danny Noonan: That’s Danny, sir.

1. when someone calls and wants to talk with the boss… he’s on the phone i say… how long will he be? get a grip, how the hell do i know how long he will be???

2. people who make fun of other people in a crude and hurtful way.

3. racists

We are, each of us angels with only one wing;
and we can only fly by
embracing one another

hmmm oh yeah

people who dont put a new tp roll on

people who dont refill ice cube trays

ok im done

We are, each of us angels with only one wing;
and we can only fly by
embracing one another

Usage errors in professional publications. Two recent examples:
A writer who stated that something “hadn’t phased him.”

Ad copy for Volkswagon commenting on their van’s “infamous” poptop. (Okay, I know ironic ads are trendy, but I don’t think this was intentional.)

A related peeve: Spelling errors in books, especially ones that are obviously due to running a spellcheck and then neglecting to actually READ the text. Where have all the real editors gone?

I have a lot of pet peeves, but being an easygoing guy, I usually don’t get too bent out of shape.

1. People talking in movies; having conversations totally oblivious to the fact that others have paid big $$ to actually watch(!) the movie.

2. People who drive down parking lot lanes the wrong direction and then give you the evil eye.

3. 20 minutes of phone # menu choices before being able to talk to a human being.

4. People who pull out into your lane right in front of you, when if they would have just waited an extra 5 seconds, there are no cars.

5. Waiters and waitresses who try to be way too chummy. Just be pleasant and efficient. I don’t care to know about your personal life, and I don’t care to be asked about mine by a total stranger. (I do realize this is management policy in many restaurants, but I don’t have to like it).

peeves 6-100 to be posted at a later time :slight_smile:

1. People who get annoyed at “I could care less.” Is the concept of IRONY completely beyond you?

2. Male drivers who feel the need to honk, whistle, or yell at female pedestrians. (What the hell are they hoping to accomplish, anyway?)

3. People who drive with their lights off in torrential rain.

4. Overuse or misuse of the following terms: patriarchal, hegemony, hermeneutics (sp?), heuristics, ethnocentrism, colonialism, postcolonialism, differance (NOT a misspelling), slippage, new historicism, cultural materialism, poetics, methodology, recentering, deconstruction, gendering, othering, transgressive, lacunae, queer theory, and about five million others I can’t think of at the moment. (Why yes, I AM a grad student. How did you ever guess?)

Let every student of nature take this as a rule – that whatever his mind seizes and dwells upon with peculiar satisfaction is to be held in suspicion.

• Francis Bacon

The guy who sits behind me reads EVERYTHING I do on my computer over my shoulder. And then comments on it. I know we work in cubes, but FER CHRISSAKE at least PRETEND and give me some semblance of privacy. I MEAN REALLY.

He also mimics me when I talk to my betrothed on the phone. ARG.

People who drive cars and smoke. Then they must throw the butt out of the car, and guess who is driving behind? Me on a motorcycle. Sheesh I hate that!

Unforgiven

People reading over my shoulder make me cringe.

So does being read to, if you’re in the same room with me. Just let me see the article when you’re finished (this applies to reading whole paragraphs to me, not a sentence or to).

I hate those assholes that pull in front of me at the last second, then go slow. Excuse me, fuckie, but there is no one behind me!

Work related: Bringing me PCs to test at the last minute, then giving me shit because it’s not done by the end of the shift. Guess what, genius? If you bring me a unit one hour before my shift ends, and it takes at least 45 minutes to download the original image to the hard drive when I’m done testing it, then you’re not gonna get the unit. If you don’t like it, feel free to jump up my butt.

Well, thanks! I feel better!

You say “cheesy” like that’s a BAD thing.