What kind of hat did Granny ('Beverly Hillbillies') wear?

Some images. I asked this many years ago, and at the time I thought it might have been a ‘pancake hat,’ but I don’t think there was any consensus.

I’d call it a granny hat. :smiley:

It looks like what men would call a “driving cap” or hat, but only if it weren’t so obviously for a lady.

I have a friend who’s a professional costumer for theaters. I sent him a pic and asked. Will let you know when he replies.

It looks like different hats. I’m seeing a straw hat and a Kangol (classic) hat.

More discussion of ‘Beverly Hillbillies’ hats on this somewhat obscure website from 2005.

Let’s talk hats

Jed wore a slouch hat most of the time. In his Sunday-go-t’-meetin’ clothes, it was a bowler.

Wow. . . That OP was really an idiot to not know the difference between a porkpie and a trilby. Mr. Drysdale wore a hat, 90% of the time it was a Homburg. The other times, it was a trilby, not a porkpie.

Very reminiscent of a hat style favored by President Eisenhower’s wife. They were called Mamie hats in her honor(?)

I’d call it a Watteau, like these: https://www.skinnerinc.com/auctions/2664M/lots/537

It’s a wide catagory, though, that seems to encompass a lot of shapes.

Gosh… Give the kid a break not everyone’s a hat maven like you.

Didn’t Granny occasionally wear a Confederate soldier’s cap? Especially when she felt she was going to war with someone?

This has been a Filmways presentation!

Well, that only took 11 years.

And well worth it. I did not realize they were a thing. Now I’m all about Watteaus.

…dahling!

Oh, sorry, wrong show!

Choose: Elly May Clampett or Lisa Douglas? :dubious: :o

Depends. Elly May wouldn’t be bringing along any of her critters, would she?

Lol… idk, but she always knew how to great people… one finger and a crooked smile.

They’re all out by the ce-ment pond.

Huh? :confused:

Lisa, because she can cook too. Hotcakes!!