What kind of pillow do you use? What do you think of this pillow?

I use an old couch cushion as a pillow and it sucks. I had a fluffy old feather pillow but my cat puked on it.

I use this pillow $19.99 from IKEA. I am really happy with it. It seems to be filled with “scraps” of memory foam. You can fluff it up or flatten it out as you like. I find that works well for me as sometimes I sleep on my side and sometimes on my back and this pillow lets me sort of fine tune it for either.

I wash my down pillows in the wash and tumble dry them then hang them on the line for a little sunshine. I like how they can bunch under my neck but don’t lift my head too much. I wouldn’t trade them for anything.

'Cept maybe that water pillow that olives mentioned. That looks intriguing.

As far as the OP’s pillow, I bought 2 like that made of memory foam and they were too high loft for my comfort. My husband uses them and he finds them comfy and really likes them. I still don’t like them because I think they tilt his head too far forward and make him snore.

Huh.

My name is **Snickers **and I’m a pillow hoarder.

<“Hi, Snickers!”>

I usually buy whatever’s on sale at Kohl’s or Bed Bath & Beyond, usually whatever’s hypoallergenic/artificial (not because I’m allergic, but because I just don’t like feather pillows) that’s still a “brand” (such as Laura Ashley, Polo, what have you). I spend around $20-$30 a pillow. I even pay attention to the warranties or stated life cycle or whatever as well.

And I find I have to replace them, oh, every year, every other year. (It’s true - I currently have a backlog of old, worn out pillows that I need to throw away. There’s like 10 in my bedroom that I need to get to the garbage.)

So I’m intrigued by all the pillow talk. I’ve just come around to accepting the fact that pillows aren’t long-term products, that I’ll have to replace them every now and again. From what I’m hearing here, this is a misconception. (I had no idea!) Do you all really keep your pillows for any appreciable length of time? How long does your average pillow last you? Where do you get these longer-lived pillows? I’m willing to splash out for some (well, maybe not the $500 pillows) if they’ll last me, say, 5ish years.

Do tell!

The Talalay pillow arrived today! Preliminary report:

Should’ve ordered the high-loft firm instead of high-loft plush, as that’s a bit softer than I’d expected. I’ve been sleeping with two thin pillows to get the right head elevation; my bedroom floor slants and even with bricks under the headboard feet I still feel tipped downhill when lying flat. But I layered two folded towels under the pillow and now it feels about right. Also, I’m a side-and-back sleeper, and the plush is meant for back and stomach sleepers; the firm is what’s recommended for side people.

Moving on: A number of the reviews on Amazon complained about an odor. There was a slight odor when I first took the pillow out of its packaging, but it wasn’t much (and I’m a nonsmoker who avoids scented products whenever possible, so my schnoz is reasonably perceptive) and it’s already much diminished some several hours later; it’s also not unpleasant, just… different. The cover is delightfully soft and inviting, and the pillow itself, well… you sink gently into it and float. I like the feel of it. It’s also cool, as advertised, at least for the few minutes I tried it out it didn’t trap and radiate back body heat.

So, now, the real test – sleeping overnight on it. I shall post in the morning on how that went. But so far, so good, other than I am now looking into acquiring queen-sized pillowcases. :smiley:

Thanks for the review! I don’t get paid until Friday, so I was waiting to take the plunge until then. I was going to go with the plush but now I’m considering the firm… hrmph! Too many choices :slight_smile:

I tried that two weeks ago! Hated it, unfortunately.

I use a Tempurpedic neck pillow, but within a year they always lose their support so it’s an annual expense for me. Worth it, though, to not wake up with a headache.

Something that’s very important to take into account when buying a pillow is what position do you usually sleep in.

I sleep on my side. My pillow is a very high ultra-firm one.

Mom starts on her side, hugging a long pillow, but eventually sleeps on her back. She likes soft or butterfly pillows.

Few times have I been more tempted to toss her off the balcony than the time I got home to find she’d “improved” my ultra-firm pillow by opening it and taking about half the filling out. The flat was only a first floor (second for people who call the ground floor a first), that saved her; I had to buy a new pillow since she’d already thrown the filling away. Eventually I got her to comprehend that “we don’t sleep in the same position, what you find comfortable leaves me with a crick”.

The husband sweats a lot at night, so I usually just buy cheapie pillows once a year on sale at Target or BB&B. I tried a pillow cover to reduce the amount of nasty transferred to the pillow, but the covers were a bit plastic-y and we both hated them. I wash the pillows, but it seems that they are really only good for about a year before I toss them and buy new ones.

Morning report:

I slept well. Woke up feeling refreshed and not stiff or achy. It took a bit of adjusting time to get used to the difference between the two-old-skinny-foam-pillows stack I’d been using and the new arrangement, but by the time I woke up for my usual middle-sleep bathroom break I was comfortable with it. Fell right back to sleep when I returned to bed.

The odd slight odor does still linger, and I found if you punch the pillow it briefly increases, so I daresay the outgassing will take a while, but again, it didn’t disturb me or interfere with getting a good night’s sleep on this pillow.

All in all, it was a good choice for me.

ETA: Oh, yeh, it doesn’t stay completely cool but it doesn’t get as warm from your head/face as other pillows.

By pure coincidence, I ordered 2 of the pillows linked in the OP just last week. Expecting them any day now. I had ordered a different latex foam pillow to replace on of mine which is ancient, but they sold out of that model, so I had to go with the Z. I hope it’s as good or better.

I usually shy away from “Not Sold in Stores” products, but I was looking at these. I’m going to buy one totally on your recommendation. :wink:
If I don’t really like it, I’m tellin’.
Peace,
mangeorge

Came to say the same.

I bought the same pillow a few months back, afraid that it might be too warm for hot weather. I really like it, and haven’t found that it gets too warm.

The price was right too. I can’t find another pillow for $20 that feels as comfortable to me.

I like really old pillows that have been beaten down. The worst part about staying in hotels is their new pillows. I usually get “new” pillows by steeling 20 or 30 year old ones from my parents’ house.

I have tried the mediflow pillow and got bad insomnia from it.

A pillow I’m looking into is the Symphony foam pillow by tempurpedic. I tried these in a mattress store and liked them. Plus a new line is coming out so the old line is being clearanced out (the mattress store had them 60% off at the time, so about $50 a pillow).

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?sku=14408061&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cse&rkg_attid=414221548&zmam=77312802&zmas=1&zmac=1&zmap=14408061

Update after almost two months:

The Talalay pillow is very, very good. The smell dwindled away to nothing within a couple of weeks. The degree of firmness has turned out to be just right for me, side and back positions both. I’m waking up without the stiffness that other pillows would often leave me with. It does get warm, but not as much as other pillows. It’s retaining its shape and its original loft and degree of firmness perfectly.

It was an excellent buy.