what makes a good electric shaver

Hi all,

i am closing in on 64 years of age and only about a yearago i bought my first electric shaver. It’s a Phillips HQ6990 which cost me about $50. It has 3 roller heads. I’m kind of satisfied with i. however i have seen another type of shaver in films and TV shows which does not use roller heads . I don’t know the name of this type of shaver but it consists of one long head, slightly curved.

I don;t know which one is “better”. Also, is it worth spending say $100 on an electric shaver? Is it the more expensive it is the better? I need guidance here. thanks.

From personal experience, I can tell you that there’s a world of a difference between a low-end and a high-end electric shaver. I don’t have any factual data to back it up, though.

There are “rotary shavers” and there are “foil shavers”. Personally, I prefer foil shavers.

This is the one I use, and I love it. It’s a cut above the rest:

thank you for upping my leaning curve with respect to the vocabulary.

that is one expensive shaver!

the more expensive the shaver the better sounds right.

I wonder what the exact technological differences there are between cheap and expensive.

I have a light beard and the three rotary razors of a Norelco work best for me. The foil Braun type don’t work well for me at all.

I think your type of beard matters. Also remember for electric razors you want your skin to be oil free and the hair to be stiff as possible, just the opposite for wet shaves

I have used both the rotary and the foil shavers for at least 20 years. I think which type you use is a matter of personal preference. One isn’t inherently better than the other. And while more expensive doesn’t always mean better, the really inexpensive shavers (under $50) are probably going to frustrate you. The quality of the shave isn’t great and deteriorates rapidly.

It’s important to clean and lubricate them regularly… takes about a minute a month. I used to take mine to a shop every four or five years and get the heads replaced, for a fraction of the cost of buying a new one. No idea if those places are still around or if they’ve gone the way of shoe repair shops.

Yeah, I too have a pretty expensive electric shaver but only because I learned a long time ago that cheap electric shavers are utter crap. It’s pretty much go big or go home in the electric shaver world.

The costlier electric shavers have tighter tolerances and better parts that result in a closer shave. They also have some nice, fast motors that result in more of a cutting motion that a pulling motion when it glides over your face quickly (cheap shavers had a bad tendency to want to pull stubble out rather than cut it when you’re shaving an area quickly).

Also, I have a Braun that has a self-cleaning pod and I love it. Pop it into the pod, hit a button, it cleans itself and sits there smelling like lemons for my next shave. It’s one of those features you think is unimportant until you have it, then you don’t know how you lived without it.

I have a good Norelco (not top of the line, but decent), and I haven’t had to replace the blades in ages. It’s been a couple of years, and I have a thick beard. I’ve tried a foil shaver and rotaries… can’t say one is any better than the other as long as it’s not cheap.

For me, since I do a lot of traveling, what mattered most was a) the ability to take 220v, b) work with or without a cord, and c) has a battery meter.

I am now curious about the self-cleaning pod. May have to look at that when the Norelco dies.