What Marketing Segment Are You?

I fit most closely with Urban Modern Mix:

These singles live near the city center and are considered average in technology usage. They also enjoy frequently online shopping.

But that didn’t come up when I put in my zip code.

Um, I’m not clicking on that link and giving somebody my information like that.

I urge others to second think about doing this.

My super diverse zip code gives 5 different demographics.

American Dreams
Mid-scale, middle aged, mostly w/o kids

The Cosmopolitans
Upscale younger family mix

Cruisin’ to Retirement
Upscale older mostly w/o kids

Urban Achievers
Midscale middle age mostly w/o kids (how is this different from American Dreams? Ethnicity, I’m 99% sure.)

Beltway Boomers
Upper Mid(scale) Middle Age family mix.

The internet already knows my zip code. You are not giving them any new information. This is information they already know about you.

Well, I’m an Empty Nest. Retired, kids grown, living in the same old house. That’s not a lifestyle listed for my zip code. Funny thing, though. When you click over to the graph for Population by Age, it shows the largest single age cohort in my zip code is 65+.

Of course, retired people are hard to market to, so I suspect a marketing company would downplay our presence.

The zip code lookup worked for me, but what was shown on the map wasn’t anywhere close to my zip code, so I kind of doubt the information in it - though the demographics looks reasonable.
I don’t know if w/o kids mean kids living with you now or never having kids.

I’d say I’m somewhere between “12 Cruising Toward Retirement - Upscale Older Mostly Without Kids” and “54 Struggle Singles - Downscale Middle Aged Mostly Without Kids”. I’m neither that rich or that poor, but that “Mostly Without Kids” part is spot on.

There’s also “16 Beltway Boomers,” which they put in the Upper Mid-Scale bracket, but those look to be people with families.

Other categories I don’t fit into are “48 Generation Web” and “22 Middleburg Managers”, but they seem to think we’re all pretty much Middle Aged around these parts.

You are entering your zip code. Have you never entered your zip code into your computer before?
mmm

Jesus H Christ. Sales. whatta crock.

I’d say we’d fall under “New Homesteaders: Young families seeking to escape the suburban sprawl finding refuge in a collection of small rustic townships. They have child-centered lifestyles and a mix of jobs in white and blue-collar industries.”

We left the city for the suburbs about 11 years ago, and then left the suburbs for the country three years ago. We own our own farm-based lawn company, both have college degrees, and our lives are very child-centered.

Entered my zip, and that site also told me we’re New Homesteaders.

The categories might be “real,” but only in arbitrary and vaguely general ways, and I really question how meaningful these descriptors are in actual practice–how much all these distinctions actually demarcate consumption accurately or in a way that can practicably shape marketing design according to the “profiles.” There really is no reason for anyone here to identify themselves with any of these segments, other than the fact they they have created them. It’s a meaningless and purely self-justifying exercise.

something about moodily lit tubes of toothpaste comes to mind

None of the above. Really. None of these categories truly fit us. The closest it #44 Country Strong, only, no, we don’t hunt and don’t listen to country music.

Every time I was offered an online survey, I get told, no thanks, you don’t fit the demographic we’re looking for.

Childless, middle aged, multiple degrees, tiny town in flyover country, now working in service industry jobs (AKA misery).

I don’t seem to fit into any of the categories. A feather in my cap!

For my Zip, I guess I’m the #18 Mayberry-ville demographic. Though I’m not into hunting nor fishing. I’m surrounded by it, but not into it.

Skipping the Zip, I guess I fit #01 Upper Crust 0r #05 Country Squires the best. Though both categories contain assertions that are wildly inaccurate for me.

Honestly, my particular circumstances are idiosyncratic enough that I don’t fit real well in any of their listed niches.

It was reasonably accurate or at least not ridiculous in characterizing common categories in our (geographically small) zip code. We’re not now in any one of them. And many other local people different than we aren’t in any of the categories either. I suppose on the latter point since it’s a marketing tool it may weight things by spendable dollar. For example there is no category given which would seem to include the people in public housing, who are a fair proportion of this small city. One group is labelled ‘downscale’ but doesn’t fit the group I’m thinking of very well. I’m not casting aspersions of ‘ism’ toward the tool because I guess the practical goal is to sell $'s worth of goods and service, so may look at diverse places like those maps of the world where countries are sized by their GDP.

As a 64 year old with a wife in her 50s and an 11 year old kid, easily the best match is:

I don’t think anyone realizes we belong in this category; at least, it doesn’t show up in what and how stuff is marketed to us.

The zip code lookup gives the most likely choices as 5, 9, 15, 23, and 29.

I was given five options based on my ZIP code. I guess 22 kind of seems to fit, although 10 kind of fits, too (I’m not an executive, however). The five options do tend to fit with how I view my neighbors, though.

I’m kind of an outlier, though, as a 46 year old man with a six-month-old first child.

Nonexistent, according to both. But then, I already knew I was invisible to lots of people :stuck_out_tongue:

The biggest difference I’d have in their assessment of my zip code is more around whether it’s urban or suburban. 40 years ago, it was on the outskirts of town, but now it’s within them. But outside of that, it’s single family homes on relatively large lots with yards, etc… I guess my conception of “urban” is more like townhomes or high-rise apartments, or NYC-style brownstones, not what was definitely a suburb in the past, and still retains a lot of the defining characteristics.

They’d say I’m a 42 - Multi-Culti Mosaic or 43 - City Roots based on my zip code, but by my reckoning, we’re probably more 02 - Networked Neighbors or 22 - Middleburg Managers.