What meter or tool would I use...

Hey All,

I searched around and found previous posts/threads on high pitch sounds that originate from the TV. I am one of “Those” that can hear the sound, lucky me.

To the question. Is there a meter or tool that will allow other people that can’t “hear” the sound to see the sound? Hopefully it’s inexpensive too. :slight_smile: Could I rent one?

I had the TV repair guy come out, yeah, I paid for the extended warrenty, but on a 1.3k$ TV I’m not going to risk it. Anyway, the repair guy comes out and turns on the set and says he doesn’t hear anything. I hear the sound as soon as it is turned on. After 15 seconds, the sound changes, gets louder (to me), and then the repair guy can hear it.

I’m afraid he is going to swap out the flyback transformer and say, okay, everythings working as my brain turns to jelly as I can still hear the sound. I’d love to have a meter or device I could point at the TV and say, Whoa there Mr. Repair Man. You say it’s fixed, but this tool says you owe me a new TV.


p.s. (See my rant in the BBQ pit about the service, if you want to)

If you open up the Tv yourself, you could be accused of doing something detrimental to the set. You could also void your warranty. Proceed with caution. Also, don’t electrocute yourself! :eek:

You need an audio spectrum analyzer. A simple sound level meter would work fine, too, but you’d have to eliminate all the other noise that was being made to get a reading at just that frequency. With a spectrum analyzer, you can see the levels at various frequencies and you should be able to tell what’s there in the high frequencies that doesn’t belong.

Hey Mr. Blue,

I’m not looking for a tool to open up the set, I’m looking for a meter or tool I could point at the TV and show how loud the sound that only I can hear to someone else that can’t hear the sound.

I’m thinking it would be a microphone hooked up to an oscilloscope or something… It’s hard to describe a meter or tool that I think should exist, but I don’t know about! :slight_smile:

Hey KneadToKnow,

That sounds like what I want. Do you know where I could rent one?


The first link on the page I linked to indicates that they rent. You might also consider the yellow pages under “Audio-Visual Equipment - Rentals.”

You’ll need a microphone that works up to at least 15 kHz, possibly an amplifier, and some way of displaying the result. Normally one would use a spectrum analyzer or oscilloscope, but they are not cheap. You might be able to record it with a computer sound card, if it works up to that frequency, and look at the resulting file in an audio editor, or an audio playback program that has some sort of “meter-like” visual display.

I looked at the first link before I posted the response, and they didn’t have anything called an “audio signal analyzer.” They did have digital signal analyzers. Checking further into audio signal analyzers showed mostly software solutions for pc’s.

I have a win 2000 laptop and an ibook, both with microphones. Can I use some software and the computer to detect and show the sound? Any suggestions for the software if yes?


      • Software first: this is the easy part. There are trial versions of audio editing/analyzing software available free & legal. I like SoundProbe 2 ( www.soundprobe.com ), but there are others. I looked for good technical spectral analyzing software once and couldn’t find anything with free trials, and it was all expensive. As well as rather silly when I’ve got a $35 Soundblaster anyway.
  • Hardware second: probably not.
    Couldn’t hurt to try though. … An audio CD is recorded at 16-bits depth and 44,100 Hhz and so can record a max of 22,050 Htz. Most cheaper computer audio cards record in 16-bit depth but barely record at all above 16Khz (if they even go that high), and “built-in soundcards” are notoriously cheap–even in laptops. The cheapest soundcard I recall that can record and play 24-bit sound is ~$150 US (Audiophile 2496)–(24-bit depth, 96 Khz). [Creative Audigy soundcards play 24-bit, but only record in 16-bit… ]

Build yourself an Ultrasound detector. Some of them work by converting high frequency sounds to audible lower frequency sounds.