What other words are etymologically related to "thistle"?

Thread title pretty much says it all. My google-fu is weak today.

Thanks!

That’ll ?

Merriam-Webster says

Whether that’s related to our distil I don’t know.

Its Latin name Carduus apparently supplied us with Chardonnay, if that’s any help.

Well, there’s another plant called “teasel” or “teazle” which is a different plant, but also prickly. I’d guess there’s an etymological connection. And you’ve got “thowthistle”, which is a herb.

“Distill” is unrelated. It comes from the Latin destillare, to drip down or to trickle down, which in turn comes from stillare to drop.

Any botanical/zoological name involving “dissel”, which is the German cognate of “thistle”, will probably qualify.

Skotse dissel (Cirsium vulgare)

Waterdissel (Senecio giantifolius)

Distelfink, a Pennsylvania Dutch bird design from the German bird name meaning “thistle-finch”.

Actually, Online Etymology Dictionary says that “teasel” is from Old English tæsan “to pluck” while “thistle” is from ProtoGermanic *thikhstula of unknown origin.

So even though a teasel is a type of thistle and its name sounds rather like “thistle”, it does not appear to be cognate with “thistle”. Whodathunkit.

All I’m getting is that ‘thistle’ is related to very similar words meaning the same thing in Norse, Danish, German (‘distel’, unrelated to Latinate ‘distill’). No cognates.

Teasel, a different plant with prickly seed heads, Dipsacus spp., is another old germanic word but not related to ‘thistle’. Oldest known cognate is a verb, Old English ‘taesan’, to pluck, disentangle, comb. Teasel is an Old World meadow plant which has naturalized in parts of the U.S. My grandmother used to pick it for flower arrangements in the fall.

Teasel was used to raise the nap on linen and woolen cloth. Word is related to English tease, tousle, tussle.

I can waste a lot of time doing this sort of thing.