What percentage of non-americans support evolution

Only 13% of americans support evoultion.

55% think god created humans in their present form (no evolution) and 27% believe in ID. ID I can understand as that at least involves the concept of evolution (with all the science behind it), but 55% opposing evolution in general is silly.

What are the rates in places like Europe, Japan, Russia, China, South America, etc?

There was a survey in the UK earlier this year, detailed here.

So… better (from my point of view, at least), but still a surprisingly high percentage of support for creationism.

The same number who support gravity.

Evolution is an observed fact, like things falling. That it is driven by natural selection is Darwin’s theory, like Newton had a theory about why and how things fall.

People have various feelings and emotional responses to the theory. I suppose you could call that “support” or “belief”. I’m not quite sure what “support” would mean, though.

One could say that a certain percentage of population believes in the theory of evolution. But 100% of us are participating in evolution.

Sailboat

There speaks someone who doesn’t watch Jerry Springer …

There speaks someone who thinks socially acceptable behavior and intelligence are selected-for traits…

Hey, being selected OUT of the gene pool IS participating. Natural selection is a bloody business.

Sailboat

The poll actually states that 13% of Americans believe that “Humans evolved, God did not guide process;” however, an additional 27% believe that “Humans evolved, God guided the process .”

Still pretty dismal. :rolleyes:

Of course, with repect to truth of the evolution (and science in general), it doesn’t matter whether people “support” it or not. Science is not a popularity contest.

I find it hard to believe that people might think that the world was indeed created in 6 days (7 including rest). Where do these people think coal or oil comes from? It’s beyond belief.

Is it true that in some U.S. states the theory of evolution is not taught in schools?

I concur with the semantic nitpick. The correct terminology, in my view, is not whether or not one “supports” evolution, but whether one accepts it.

Maybe they believe it was created during the Great Flood.
Most Bahamians believe in God created the Earth but evolution is definately taught in the private and public schools. I only know one Bahamian believing in the 6000 year old Earth.

There are some people who don’t believe in Gravity due to religious belief?

My research skills are in diminished state right now, so I can’t find the thing, but in an 2001 NSF study, about 53% of Americans said that they thought it was true that humans developed from an earlier species of animal. The percentage of Europeans was slightly larger, if I remember correctly. The thing was, the question was asked without using terms like “evolution,” “intelligent design,” “god,” or any other currently potent vocabulary. It was asked as a matter of true/false on a general science test of the general public and included a number of other questions. It didn’t have much extra political charge to it. Which may explain the large discrepancy between the 53% and the 19% used in the OP.

p.s. people don’t support gravity. If anything, they fight against it.

I’m thinking of opting out.

I wonder exactly how the question was worded. The first option is disproven in a scientific sense* unless you posit an evil, secretive God.

The choice between the second and third options, however, is more tricky. If the wording were very firm, such as “what do you BELIEVE,” or “which of these statements is TRUE”, it would be overly hasty to choose between 2 and 3 (again, depending on your definition of “God”: a 4-O God it certainly isn’t).

OTOH, if the question were “which do you think is more likely to be true”, then only 13% giving the most weight to undirected evolution is slightly more outlandish.

*that sense being “shown to be so enormously (un)likely that it would be foolish not to offer preliminary agreement.”

Then you can probably relate to the anti-evolutionists, since you seem to be doubting an established fact. :slight_smile:

No.

Possible, but very very tricky since if you have any number of offspring, including zero, you’re part of the process. My suggestion is to have infinite offspring and then cross the bridge of making sure they all have equal chances of survival once you come to it. :smiley:

40%, not 19%. Anyone who stated themselves a believer in ‘Intelligent Design’ would also believe that humans developed from an earlier species of animal, unless they’re completely confused by what ‘Intelligent Design’ means.

Well, you have to admit, clarity of thinking is not exactly a strong point with these people.

You mean that you haven’t heard of the movement to present Intelligent Falling alongside Newton’s Theory of Gravity when teaching physics to our impressionable young children?

What I found interesting about it, only 37% want creationism taught in school instead of evolution. Seems odd for a group that 55% of said they think we didn’t evolve.