What philosophical question did you ask as a child?

My father is a Freudian psychoanalyst, so I just asked other kids about the oedipal complex and castration anxiety :confused:

I was pretty young, somewhere under 8, when I wondered where all the garbage would go. Did we really have enough land to have dumps for all the garbage?

Alright, alright. :rolleyes: It was just exciting as a kid, my daddy built space shuttles and told me all about the universe. It was cool.

At some point as my father was putting me to sleep, I asked him, “Daddy, what’s the difference between intelligence and wisdom?”

Oh, was he ever a proud daddy. After I went to bed he consulted all his favorite texts: Socrates, the Bible, Pilgrim’s Progress, and so on. The next day he sat me and my siblings down for his prepared lecture on the difference between intelligence and wisdom, boring us all to tears. He ended it by saying, “I hope you never stop searching for wisdom.”

“I’ll search for it right now,” I said, and cupped my hands around my mouth. “Oh, WISdom, where ARE you?”

My siblings and my mom and I all collapsed in giggles; my father turned very red and probably chewed us out for not taking it seriously, but I don’t know for sure because I was too busy laughing.

Really all I wanted to know was what those two words meant.

How is babby formed?

Rainbows, how do they work?

So I’m not the only kid who spent time looking in the mirror and wondering “Who AM I? What’s inside making me think things?” I also remember asking my third grade teacher (after reading Jurrasic Park) if clones would have souls.

Well then, he or she ought to be able to tell you that “strictly speaking” any question is philosophical, at least potentially.

“What time is it?”
“Well, what do you mean by time? What do you mean by “is”?”
No doubt that is not the sort of thing that the OP meant, but a question like the one you mentioned, about the existence of God and about what would be evidence for it? If that ain’t clearly and directly philosophical then nothing ever was. Just about all of the great philosophers, and many lesser ones, have written about these issues, often at some length. There are contemporary, academic philosophers who continue to do so.

And if we are arguing from authority here, as you seem to be, then I am a philosopher myself, in the sense that I hold a Ph.D. from a philosophy department, have taught philosophy in universities, and have published articles in philosophical academic journals; and I say that on any remotely accurate definition of philosophy, one that does not rule out people like Aristotle, or Descartes, or Kant, or Bertrand Russell from being philosophers, that is unambiguously a philosophical question.

I don’t give any answers, because I don’t have the answers. They are more opinion-based questions. I just remove my opinion out of it. I find that sharing too much information about myself would be kind of freaky. :eek:

I don’t know if this quite qualifies as a philophical question but it seems to fit in with the rest of the responses.

One day in art class at parochial school when I was 10 or 11, I wondered out loud whether Jesus had any sisters. I had always been told Jesus was the only son of God which implied God might have had a daughter or two so it seemed like a reasonable thing to ask. This question caused such an uproar at our table that the nun leading the class (yes - an actual nun) asked why the outburst and one of my classmates said “BigDadWolf thinks Jesus had a sister”.

I spent the rest of the class in the corner and learned that parochial school is not the place to ask questions.

One of the earliest I can remember asking myself was: “Does it really make God happy for us to repeat the same stuff over and over every week?”

" You know I can read, you taught me to use a library! Why do I have to memorize this stupid list of founding states? Even once I get it, it can’t last, I’ll forget it sooner or later, - I’m 12 yrs old! But I’ll always be able to go to the library and look it up, so why does my entire 7th grade history class instruction ignore that I can read and use a library?"

I liked learning, but this seemed so obviously stupid to me. I just wanted to understand why it was this way. No one had any answers, I was just told to hush and buckle down!

I was about 14 or so and on a road trip with my dad and stepmonster. Stepmonster was talking about some cousin of hers whom nobody had seen in years because she was in a biracial relationship. She referred to the cousin’s partner as her “common-law husband.”

I had never heard that term before, so I asked what that was. After my dad explained it, I started asking what was the point of being married if you could just move in and be common-law partners. To this day, I still cannot wrap my brain around it.

I guess I get that some people are believers and have religious reasons. But I still don’t see why I need god to define my relationships for me. So marriage for religious reasons is right out, for me.

I don’t understand why the state needs a piece of paper. If you’re with your partner, you’re with your partner; nothing that church or state thinks/sees/knows/believes will change your relationship.

My parents kept trying to make a case for formal marriage, but I think it was a dubious case at best. I still don’t see the point, even if you have kids. Both biological parents are still responsible for the kids, regardless if they were ever married at any point; it appears that children have all the same legal rights as everyone else. I can’t think of a thing that a kid misses out on if his parents don’t have that slip of paper proving they’re committed to each other. Either you’re committed or you’re not. As far as I can tell, the piece of paper has fuck all to do with anything. So my big question was, philosophically, what’s the point of marriage?

I still have no answer.

I grew up in a mostly secular household–no formal religious education. I have vague memories of saying the “now I lay me down to sleep” prayer, but I honestly don’t know when that’s from, and it might’ve only been said because I read it in a book and always liked ritual. Still, though, they were just words.

So, one day, when I was about five, my mom was driving me to day care/kindergarten. As she was driving, I suddenly asked, “Mommy? What is God?”

This was not a question that my mom had prepared to answer while driving. Or possibly at all. Her answer off the top of her head was as follows:

“God is the little voice in your head telling you what’s right and what’s wrong.”

I think she held her breath as I considered it. Finally, I said, “okay!” She was so relieved. All things considered, I think it was a decent enough answer.

I distinctly remember being about 13 and contemplating what made a person make the decisions they do - nature or nurture? From there, extrapolating logically, I realized that free will was pretty much impossible either way.

It wasn’t a question that I asked anyone else, though.

You know, you can search for the answer on Wikipedia. Just type “marriage” in the search field, and you can find it! :smiley:

When I was little, my brother got a globe for Christmas. It came with a record (probably a 45) that had a man speaking in a deep voice. He was the Earth, speaking about himself. Towards the end of the record asked “Will the Sun die? Will I die? Yes, but not for a very long time.”

So I asked my dad about it. Will the Earth die, dad? He said yes, but not for a really really really long time. What, like next week? I was scared shitless. I did not sleep well that night.

I remember wondering about what philosophers call “qualia.” I remember asking whether everyone saw colors in the same way. Maybe what I saw as red other people saw as green. Maybe everyone has the same favorite color, and we just use different words to describe it.

Seems like a reasonable question. Didn’t he have a brother?

Depends. The Bible refers to James, the brother of Jesus; however, per Catholic doctrine of the perpetual virginity of Mary, James was Jesus’ cousin or perhaps brother-of-heart. Protestants say nope, they were actual brothers, and that after Jesus was born Mary and Joseph had a normal marital relationship.