What should Disney butcher next?

How about the happy go lucky spin on Farhenheit 451?

For some unknown reason, Kurt Vonnegut’s “Gallapagos” comes to mind…

Or mabye “Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas” - hmmm, singing bats, magic potions, a mystical wonderland…

Omni, I swear I was thinking of adding F451, then scrolled down while writing this!

Years ago, the folks on rec.arts.tv.mst3k.misc wrote a frighteningly possible Disneyfication of Atlas Shrugged. The Deja/Google archive doesn’t go back that far, of course, so I can’t link you to it, but it was one of the scariest and funniest things I’d ever read.

How about The Story of Batman? They could do product tie-ins with Crazy Wings, and have a scary ride at the theme parks.

Or Francis Ford Coppolla’s The Scooby-Doo Mysteries! Instead of Scooby snacks, Shaggy & Scooby could eat Mickey Mouse Bars. The Disney folks could then have a rabid dog run through the Haunted House. They’ve already got the projectors for it.

Marie Antoinette had her tiny dog under her skirts when she was beheaded. It didn’t, er, “take” and she said something like “Sweet Jesus” or “Dear Jesus”, which would have to be changed. I guess that would be the point to have her break out into song with the dog scampering about anyway.

Did they off Rasputin in the cartoon?

There was a Noah’s Ark sequence in Fantasia 2000, with Donald Duck as Noah.

In case anybody cares, the next big animated blockbuster is going to be Atlantis (or words to that effect). I don’t know what they’re going to do with it.

Shogun.
Springtime for Hitler.
Malcolm X.
The story of John F. Kennedy’s life.
Little House on the Prairie.
Gilligan’s Island.

Okay, I’m scaring myself now.

The Plague, by Albert Camus.

Last Exit to Brooklyn, by Hubert Selby. Oh yeah.

[QUOTE]
*Originally posted by rastahomie *

Minor nitpick, but Donald was Noah’s helper, not Noah.

For the old sci-fi fans, how about Disney doing a version of David Gerrold’s The Man Who Folded Himself. That one aught to go over well…

Zev Steinhardt

Minor nitpick to self. That should be “ought to go over well.”

Zev Steinhardt

I’d like to see Disney take on Dracula. Heck, everyone else has done it.

Come on, disney does World War 2 would be awesome. FDR would be an outcast orphan, Churchill his plucky monkey sidekick, Stalin a wisecracking horse, and Elinor as the beautiful princess of Germania, with her wicked Stepfather Hitler and his toady, Emperor Hirohito (played by pikachu). Who wouldnt want to see the final battle, as FDR fights hitler, then hitler falls off a cliff, lke everyone bad guy in disney films. And of course Hirohito turns good in the final battle, and we all end up dancing to a new Celin Deon song. Just like in real life.

I have been waiting for Disney’s Oz, but based on the prison series…

The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe, or any of The Chronicles of Narnia See, C.S. Lewis already wrote a Jesus fable w/animals.
The Hardy Boys Nothing like a Disney adaptation to ruin an old favorite.

Have Spacesuit, Will Travel, or any of the Heinlein juveniles. Take out all the science, most of the philosphy execpt some knee-jerk patriotism, add in some dance numbers and viola instant crap.

I think a nice remake of Heart of Darkness would suit Disney fine. You can still have the storytellers back in London on the boat. It’s a given that you have to have some narrative to set up the story. There’s adventure down the river. Kurtz is still crazy. Not sure yet for the cute, wisecracking sidekicks. Maybe a baby elephant and a parrot.

The major change is Marlow takes Kurtz’s fiancee/intended/whatever along on the trip. Create some romantic tension between the girl and Marlow. But when Kurtz is about to die, we see love restore him to life and sanity and he gets the girl.

Song numbers:
Solemn intro number in London
Lite cheery number on Marlow’s initial journey
Romantic song between Marlow and girl halfway through river
Energetic, crazy song during boat under seige
Proud boistorous song for Kurtz’s introduction for his kingdom (Use “The horror. The horror.” here instead of later.)
Sad poignant song as Kurtz is about to die but girl and Marlow bring him back.

Oh, and rename the movie the Heart of Light.

Disney’s “Camille.”

Marguerite Gauthier, rather than being a tubercular prostitute, is a fun-loving French college coed (voiced by Meg Ryan). She has a singing cat, Prudence (voiced by Angela Lansbury) and is wildly loved by the evil magician Count de Varville (voiced by Alan Cumming). When Varville find out that Margeurite (called “Cammy” by her pals, as she thinks camelias are “totally cool”), is in love with good-hearted playboy and college athlete Armand Duvall (voiced by Mel Gibson), he puts a curse on her that makes her sneeze a lot, leading to many zany social embarrassments and a comic number by Randy Newman.

Armand’s father, M. Duvall (voiced by Jon Lithgow) demands that they break off their love affair, as he cannot have a daughter-in-law who sneezes a lot. Cammy becomes very depressed and sings an Elton John song while staring into the river Seine. The song is nominated for an Oscar and will be sung at the awards show by Jennifer Lopez, who will be wearing a belt with armholes.

Anyway, just as Cammy is about to say “yes” to the evil Count de Varville, Armand discovers that the reason she is sneezing is because she is allergic to her singing pet cat, Prudence! Prudence is euthanized, and all ends happily.

Hate to disillusion you, cat, old bean, but Disney already did the Boys. Forty years ago – as part of the original Mickey Mouse club tv series. Predictably, it was awful.

– Bob

Jonestown: the musical, with the voices of Robin Williams, Minnie Driver, and Chris Rock.
…bound to be some good commercial tie-ins with Kool-aid.

Elian Gonzalez, Shipwrecked boy, with his trusty sidekick, Juan the rat, voice by Ben Affleck.

Yup, I can see them doing “Flatland”.
In 3-D, of course.

“A Canticle for Liebowitz” could be interesting, though.
Happy singing mutants, happy singing monks.

Walt Disney Pictures proudly presents the Marquis de Sade’s Justine.

How about we get Orwellian?

Disney does 1984 with Big Brother playing the role of Mommy to a passel of adopted happy fuzzy woodland creatures, Newspeak is presented as “a fun language, like Pig Latin!” Winston Smith is ahappy deer who, at the end, is not assimiliated into the collective, but willingly and happily joins his little woodland friends with their new language. Oh, and rewriting/erasing history/people is simply “making things prettier.”